Shop on Gordon Terrace?

HI folks, I'm about to buy a property on Gordon Terrace in Stakeford and have noticed that according to the council's records, it used to be a shop prior to 1978.  It was converted by a man from Morpeth who's name escapes me, he also built the Kitchen and Garage to the rear.  Does anyone remember or know what the history was of this building and what kind of shop it was?

Many thanks,

11 hours ago, Steve McGill said:

HI folks, I'm about to buy a property on Gordon Terrace in Stakeford and have noticed that according to the council's records, it used to be a shop prior to 1978.  It was converted by a man from Morpeth who's name escapes me, he also built the Kitchen and Garage to the rear.  Does anyone remember or know what the history was of this building and what kind of shop it was?

Many thanks,

@Steve McGill - I remember, 1960's, there was a couple of small shops in Gordon terrace but can't remember any history of them. My only memory is of small General Dealers, that were on the end of the terrace where there was a road through to the back lane. Looking at Google Street view, 2008, one of them is shown as The Barber Shop but don't know if it still is.

I seem to remember a couple of postings on one of the local Facebook groups but at the moment can't find them. 

There is a lad Brian Jenkinson on the local Facebook groups and I though he used to have a group on Stakeford but can't find that group either so I am not being very helpful here  🙃. Brian is still on Facebook, and I see you are, so it could be worth contacting him via Facebook Messenger and see if he has any info. 

Untitled.png

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

• 3 months later...

I'm in my 70's now but grew up in nearby Milburn Tce and used to pass Gordon Tce every day on my way to school. If this photo is of the property you are buying it used to be a General dealers shop owned by Mr and Mrs Brittain in the 40s and 50s( not sure about the spelling they used). Mr Brittain was a very keen radio ham and had a huge aerial at the back of his house. He was famous locally for picking up an SOS message from a ship in distress and he roused up help. I think everyone was saved. Mrs Brittain spotted me running away from school once when I was 5 and ran down to warn my mother. My mother spotted me hiding in the fields where I thought I would stay until home time. No such luck. I got marched back.

If you mean the shops at the other end of Gorden Tce which I think became a Chinese takeaway, I know that before World War 2 there were 2 shops there, both owned by my family. My grandmother, Barbara Hall ran the General Dealers and next door my father, Stan Hall had his barbers shop. Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

A bit late as usual, but I think the shop referrred to, is the Deli, which was Dave the Butchers, from as far back as 1970,which was the year I moved into West Terrace, a few yards away. Dave spent every minute of his free time, including his Wednesday afternoons off, building up the upper floor above the shop, converting it into a bigger flat with front and rear huge dormer windows. He then built up the garage and shop rear extension, over a couple of years or more. He told me he was saving around £9,000 by doing the work himself. He did all the loft conversion to building standards, and the Building Inspectors never had cause to instruct any remedial or retro alterations, they were satisfied at every stage. Dave lost his Wife Sylvia after a long period of illness, some time ago. Hope I am not too late to have been of any help. 

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now