Netherton lasses ?

@Canny lass - shot in the dark - photo posted by ex Netherton Colliery lass Ellenor Owen (don't know what her maiden name was).
Can you name any of this group?
35437361_1012732075567396_45852284615382

• Alan Brady
    Alan Brady They look like Netherton lasses.
    Hide or report this
    Ellenor Owen
  • Ellenor Owen Wish I knew names def , Netherton lasses

36 minutes ago, Canny lass said:

2 and 4 are vaguely familiar but I can't put a name to them just yet. Any idea what year this is? It's not my age group.

Unfortunately not - I have asked the question but as yet no response from Ellenor Owen.

On 01/08/2020 at 19:46, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

101634382_1589424104564854_7247230581505785856_n.jpg.80410028ead44c93e5d7948fbc0dd57a.jpg

@Canny lass - @Bedlingtonian - I asked Ellenor  for the approximate year of the photo . Ellenor says she struggles with dates and her responses to my questions have been :-

Ellenor Owen
Ellenor Owen Alan Edgar A little bit older than me just be guessing AnnAustin 4 sorry but I'm sure someone will recognise a few on fb
Ellenor Owen Alan Edgar Alan I started infants early 1944 & by that photo I say it was probably 2 yrs earlier not much more the few I can recall my age then would be Sheila Tatlock Ellen Lynskey Kathy Gregg
  • Like 1

Bit before my time but they are 2 and 4 are still familiar. Have I seen them on other photos in our excellent gallery perhaps?

On 03/08/2020 at 11:44, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

"Alan I started infants early 1944"

My sister, Maureen, must have started about the sma time and she , in her late teens, used to knock about with Sheila Tatlock.  So it's not impossible that I've seen them about in Netherton.

2 hours ago, Canny lass said:

Bit before my time but they are 2 and 4 are still familiar. Have I seen them on other photos in our excellent gallery perhaps?

Unfortunately no names. Although Ellenor has mentioned a couple of possibilities no one has positively identified any of them.

@Canny lass - On Ellenor's posting on the Bygone Bedlington Facebook group I added a comment saying no one could identify anyone in her photo and she replied :-

• Ellenor OwenAuthor Alan Edgar sad I was born 1939

• Ken Brady
    Ken Brady Alan Brady these would be about ten fifteen years older than you, do any look familiar.
    Hide or report this
    Ellenor Owen
  • Ellenor OwenAuthor Alan Edgar class photo 1937 so this was 6 yrs before I started school they were probably at the village or high school then
    Alan Brady Some faces look familiar but any names by me would only be guesses.

So I said 'Thank you' to Ellenor and left it at that but today shoe posted :-  
  • Hide or report this
  • Names in Evan Martin lno1Jean Thompson Alice z Black Evelyn Scarr Elsie Lee Margaret Simmons Norreen Wright Jean Dickinson Rita Austin the only name I reconise is Rita Austin
    So we finally got the full story and I have added the names, but they might not be in the right order, to the photo and I checked on Amazon for the book as I hadn't heard of this book - I have six of the Martin family books on our area. I found it, and have bought a copy:)

Ellener Owen named.jpg

Bedlingtonshire Remembered.jpg

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

1 hour ago, Canny lass said:

Much better photo! Don't recognise any of those names. Is that book any good? Worth having in my collection?

There are many photos that are in the other 'The Peoples History' books and many of the photos that aren't in the other books have been posted on the local groups. 

For the price, £5.72 + p&p, I thinks it's worth it:).

Goes up to page 128 - the Index at page 3 and it covers 8 areas of Bedlingtonshire.

738580728_BedlingtonRemembered.thumb.jpg.e353826f35af2058931c366418ee7089.jpg

My full collection of books by the Martin family :- 

EM Books.jpg

23 minutes ago, Canny lass said:

Impressive collection!

I'll have a look for the book on't net.

Still 6 left on Amazon. It has them as second hand but mine looks as if it has never been opened apart from Evan Martin signing his name + Nov 1999 on the first page.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bedlingtonshire-Remembered-Evan-Martin/dp/1902527526

in the 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Canny lass said:

It's on its way!

Have you got this one in your collection:

Front cover.jpg

I haven't. I have seen images for Stephen B Martin's  Netherton & Barrington booklet's but never searched for them🙂 - too much reading for me, I prefer the ones with loads of images🙃

I have seen the cover of the netherton/Nedderton one before - on Flickr - Billy Embleton posted it and I added a photo of it into the Netherton/Nedderton old photos 2 album in the Gallery.

image.thumb.png.4955466c3a110e6083090b3dbe76a81e.png

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now