Market Place Regeneration

"Plans to enhance Bedlington's Market Place:

An award-winning team has been drafted in to draw up plans to enhance Bedlington's 18th Century Market Place. Wansbeck Council has appointed Landscape Architects Ian White Associates (IWA) to develop outline proposals for a 21st Century make-over. IWA has a successful track record of enhancing market areas including Morpeth and Marygate at Berwick upon Tweed and has won national awards for its public realm and streetscape projects.

Members of the public will be able to see for themselves the progress so far at a special event where Bob Ferguson of IWA will host a presentation giving anyone interested a chance to find out more about the plans. The presentation, which is being held as part of National Architecture Week, will take place on Wednesday June 20th, at the Bedlington Community Centre, Front Street starting at 7.30pm.

Regeneration Portfolio Holder Councillor Alan Stewart, says: "The Council aspires to providing a high quality scheme and it is hoped that Bedlington will be added to the list of IWA award winning projects. We are very pleased to be working alongside IWA and I hope the public come along to the presentation to see for themselves the exciting changes that could be in store for what is a focal point in the town. Bedlington's tree-lined Front Street is one of the quaintest and most picturesque places in the area and enhancements to the Market Place can only help to regenerate the town even further."

An award-winning team has been drafted in to draw up plans to enhance Bedlington's 18th Century Market Place. Wansbeck Council has appointed Landscape Architects Ian White Associates (IWA) to develop outline proposals for a 21st Century make-over. IWA has a successful track record of enhancing market areas including Morpeth and Marygate at Berwick upon Tweed and has won national awards for its public realm and streetscape projects.

Members of the public will be able to see for themselves the progress so far at a special event where Bob Ferguson of IWA will host a presentation giving anyone interested a chance to find out more about the plans. The presentation, which is being held as part of National Architecture Week, will take place on Wednesday June 20th, at the Bedlington Community Centre, Front Street starting at 7.30pm.

Regeneration Portfolio Holder Councillor Alan Stewart, says: "The Council aspires to providing a high quality scheme and it is hoped that Bedlington will be added to the list of IWA award winning projects. We are very pleased to be working alongside IWA and I hope the public come along to the presentation to see for themselves the exciting changes that could be in store for what is a focal point in the town. Bedlington's tree-lined Front Street is one of the quaintest and most picturesque places in the area and enhancements to the Market Place can only help to regenerate the town even further."

So how much is this little lot going to cost,and(sorry to fetch this up yet again) wouldn't the money be better spent on something for the young people of our town!

So how much is this little lot going to cost,and(sorry to fetch this up yet again) wouldn't the money be better spent on something for the young people of our town!

I know exactly what you mean stu! I posted without comment just to let people know when this was on and they can make their own mind up once they see and hear the proposals. I hope some people off this board get along and see the presentation and report back. Any roving reporters out there?

i hope this team aint like the one drafted in to do the olympic slogan! :lol: :lol: :lol: standby for seizures!

What is the purpose of this project? I'd guess it to enhance the area for two reasons, one simply preserve a truly beautiful historic treasure and secondly to improve the financial / commercial district for the businesses! therefore it should be a split between the council and the Chamber of Commerce (or your equivalent, and not necessarily an equal split!)

My second thought is what are the young people of the town doing for themselves? what do they want! why wouldn't they get involved and have part of the development directed towards youth? I'm sure you have youth centres, clubs and groups (even schools) that can get together and with help from adults make some productive suggestions! in my opinion if they don't work for it they will never appreciate it!

Vic

What is the purpose of this project? I'd guess it to enhance the area for two reasons, one simply preserve a truly beautiful historic treasure and secondly to improve the financial / commercial district for the businesses! therefore it should be a split between the council and the Chamber of Commerce (or your equivalent, and not necessarily an equal split!)

My second thought is what are the young people of the town doing for themselves? what do they want! why wouldn't they get involved and have part of the development directed towards youth? I'm sure you have youth centres, clubs and groups (even schools) that can get together and with help from adults make some productive suggestions! in my opinion if they don't work for it they will never appreciate it!

Vic

nah youngins nowa days dont want youth clubs and stuff! they want booze busters and things to vandalise!!!

nah youngins nowa days dont want youth clubs and stuff! they want booze busters and things to vandalise!!!

perhaps a youth club with an area to vandalise would be the answer.. we have good and bad kids verywhere, the good kids could repair whats broke, and the bad kids could wreck it again the next night...

what do you think?

i think there should be a motorbike track in bedlington for the kids to go ride on without being bothered by the pigs

i think there should be a motorbike track in bedlington for the kids to go ride on without being bothered by the pigs

i both agree and disagree.

whilst a motorbike track would never be allowed for safety reasons, a track where they could be monitored might work, but then who would pay the monitorer-er-eres... you know what i mean !

making it a pay-to-play wouldnt work as the kids are skint !

I know someone who tried to get one sorted, with garage facilities so kids could strip and rebuild cars/bikes, but it was fraught with "officialdome" difficulties. If I remember correctly Newcastle had a good one at Byker which this person wanted to copy but it depended on WDC giving some out of the way waste ground...........for Bedlington, enough said!

I also know of at least one project to get a youth facility going for the kids in the town centre or thereabouts but again too many road blocks put up by WDC!

And people wonder why I rant!

could you not just rent a field of a farmer? charge £2 a day and let the kids build there own track? its what they do up scotland for the mountain bikers! so why couldn't they do it here!

could you not just rent a field of a farmer? charge £2 a day and let the kids build there own track? its what they do up scotland for the mountain bikers! so why couldn't they do it here!

The land and the safety side are the big issues here, as if we had the land, i'd be more than willing to hire a mini-digger for a day or two to sort the track out. i'm sure there would be more offers of help too, if it looked like becoming a reality. but lets face it, the first accident and the law suit would close the place !

The land and the safety side are the big issues here, as if we had the land, i'd be more than willing to hire a mini-digger for a day or two to sort the track out. i'm sure there would be more offers of help too, if it looked like becoming a reality. but lets face it, the first accident and the law suit would close the place !

you could make them sign a waiver or something so if they broke there neck your not liable! and it would give the st johns ambulance some where to practice!!!!!

you could make them sign a waiver or something so if they broke there neck your not liable! and it would give the st johns ambulance some where to practice!!!!!

that wont work either, their not worth the paper their written on.

to get a waiver worth its salt you need to apply each case in court on an individual basis. if your practicing something dangerous then the organiser of that event is liable for your safety, waiver signed or not.

to get a waiver worth its salt you need to apply each case in court on an individual basis. if your practicing something dangerous then the organiser of that event is liable for your safety, waiver signed or not.

wey looks like it's flying through the woods endangering peoples lives while being chased by the coppa choppa!

I thought the lick of paint on the street bins and benches was Bedlingtons whack at regeneration.

perhaps a youth club with an area to vandalise would be the answer.. we have good and bad kids verywhere, the good kids could repair whats broke, and the bad kids could wreck it again the next night...

what do you think?

That sounds like a good idea and I am being serious.

yeah learn the good kids construction skills and the bad ones can learn quick ways to get an asbo!!! or a tag or both

or the bad ones might get bored with wrecking the place and actually help rebuild it...learning something as they go...

I used to have the"rights" on a N.W.M.(SITA)waste recovery site,one of the conditions was that I had to have Public Liability insurance to the tune of 2 million quid just in case some member of the public slipped an' fell in the skip an' broke his napper.This cost me 49 quid every month for the premium,don't know what the cost is now.Maybe this could get you round your problem.

Another point is that you don't put any signs up telling people of any dangers as this is an admission of guilt in a court of law!For you to put signs up you are letting people know that you already know that it is dangerous therefore you are liable if anything happens! I know this because I once suggested that we put signs up warning people to be careful when using the steps to the skips,and was told in no uncertain words by the safety officer not to do it because if anyone tripped all he had to do was point at the sign and say that we already knew it was unsafe because we put the signs up,if there were no signs up and anyone tripped then they would have to prove to a court that the steps were unsafe,so no signs were put up. Next time you visit the skips I bet you there are no signs up warning you of any dangers!

Sorry for prattling on jus thought I could help!

• 1 year later...

I've had a tour and demonstration on what is going to happen and it's goingt o be GREAT! Once completed, the market place will look revitalised and could even feature entertainment such as live music. :lol:

I've had a tour and demonstration on what is going to happen and it's goingt o be GREAT! Once completed, the market place will look revitalised and could even feature entertainment such as live music. :lol:

what like immigrants with accordians! there every where and they all now the same tune! :ph34r::lol: :lol:

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now