How About A Seperate Area?

General patter aint a bad thing, but people who come to the forum looking for useful, meaningful information about Bedlington (If there is any out there!) get put off.

So what about a separate area?

For everything which has got nothing to do with the town - but which is for members only?

I don't like the Northumberland Chat area personally. Its dead. Messages have to be moderated before being posted and any old troll from China can post.

So what for it then?

A general chat area for members, or not?

General patter aint a bad thing, but people who come to the forum looking for useful, meaningful information about Bedlington (If there is any out there!) get put off.

For everything which has got nothing to do with the town - but which is for members only?

I don't like the Northumberland Chat area personally. Its dead. Messages have to be moderated before being posted and any old troll from China can post.

So what for it then?

If you mean a place to go where we can voice our opinions without it getting deleted then i`m up for that ;)

Just somewhere where general discussion can be kept separate from topics relating to Bedlington.

That`s a good idea..and folk would know not to join if they`re easily offended. That way,everyone`s happy :D

Guest mongo
Isn't there a "halfwits only" board that you all joined?

Why not take it there instead of stinking this place out and ruffling Missvic's savoir faire?

who asked you to voice your opinian like colonel clunk

Guest mongo

aye give us an area where we can talk !*!@# and !*!@# each other off where the spackers of the forum wont be offended that sounds good im up for it :D:D

Guest mongo
who`s that bloke on your avatar Mongo,is it that owld alci bum-fighter who smashed his head through a bus-stop for a sniff of cider :lol:

aye thats the 1 :lol::lol:

OK let's get this straight:

You want a forum for chat about the Town and a separate forum for General stuff?

So what happens if someone starts a thread off about something of interest re. the Town then someone posts something off-topic. Does the tread then get moved, or does the off-topic stuff get deleted - to cries of censorship? Either way the moderator can't win!

Should either or both of the forums be public? IMHO we don't want the chatter one public as it could detract from the Town to visitors, and we don't want the serious one public as local posters won't bother to join and make a commitment.

Private forums don't attract anything like as much spam, because the main reason for spamming boards is not to get the spam read, but to place links to hijack our considerable search engine traffic. The aim is to get crap sites a search engine ranking, and search engines can't spider the private forums.

OK let's get this straight:

You want a forum for chat about the Town and a separate forum for General stuff?

So what happens if someone starts a thread off about something of interest re. the Town then someone posts something off-topic. Does the tread then get moved, or does the off-topic stuff get deleted - to cries of censorship? Either way the moderator can't win!

Should either or both of the forums be public? IMHO we don't want the chatter one public as it could detract from the Town to visitors, and we don't want the serious one public as local posters won't bother to join and make a commitment.

Private forums don't attract anything like as much spam, because the main reason for spamming boards is not to get the spam read, but to place links to hijack our considerable search engine traffic. The aim is to get crap sites a search engine ranking, and search engines can't spider the private forums.

I`ll take that as a "no" then :lol:

I`ll take that as a "no" then :lol:

Absolutely not!

It's basically a good idea, but I was rather hoping someone would turn their brain on and fill in a few of the details.

There seems to be 3 or 4 active threads covering censorship topics all of which contain valid views. I made the point a couple of months ago that those who advocate censorship (in any form) need to be challenged, they must be certain of their aims and be able to justify them. It seems to me that the only imperative here (this Forum) is the protection of the owners of the site, against prosecution for the posting of hate stuff which is against the law. All other stuff, however stupid, cutting, inane, pointless, rude, etc. should be allowed. The 'normal' folks here know that the 'village idiots' stalk the site but that they should be allowed to mutter their nonesense un-impeded. Of course, true to village life we should laugh at their state and continue to throw 'rotten fruit' at them. Maybe there should be a 'health warning' to innocent visitors here that there is offensive stuff within.

Moderating is a thankless task but I want to thank ours for their attempts

So what for it then?

The former! :P:lol: