Chinese takaways in Bedlington

Tonyp

I was having a discussion with my brother about this! I said to him the first Chinese takeaway in Bedlington was the one at the bottom of Hirst terrace which doesn't exist now it must of been there 50 years ago first experience of fried banana 🍌 in batter 😂 

22 hours ago, Tonyp said:

I was having a discussion with my brother about this! I said to him the first Chinese takeaway in Bedlington was the one at the bottom of Hirst terrace which doesn't exist now it must of been there 50 years ago first experience of fried banana 🍌 in batter 😂 

Don't remember it from the 1960's when I used to pass that way. There again in the 1960's I wouldn't eat Chinese, Indian, - in fact I wouldn't eat any foreign food. I'm the same now apart from progressing to the English version of Indian food = chicken corma and eve that,on occasions, can be tooo spicey for me 😰  

1 hour ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

Don't remember it from the 1960's when I used to pass that way. There again in the 1960's I wouldn't eat Chinese, Indian, - in fact I wouldn't eat any foreign food. I'm the same now apart from progressing to the English version of Indian food = chicken corma and eve that,on occasions, can be tooo spicey for me 😰  

I haven't progressed that far Alan!

13 hours ago, Vic Patterson said:

I haven't progressed that far Alan!

I would probably be the same if it wasn't for 'Mad Cow Disease' -  BSE = bovine spongiform encephalopathy - 1996.

We were a group of 3 couples that regularly ate out on a Saturday evening - Manzil's Indian restaurant, Morpeth. The other 5 had Indian meals and I would have a rump steak, very well done:D. So when they had to take steak off the menu I was sat in the restaurant one Saturday evening wondering what to try. The staff said they had mild curries that I should try and they recommended chicken tikka for starters and chicken korma for main, I accepted. Chicken tikka Ok, but still toooo warm for me

445214412_Chickentikka.jpg.61907992c7058f96513092f46ea7f462.jpg

- chicken korma, very mild and creamy and I have stuck with that, as my foreign food dish, for the last 24 years:).519969073_ChickenKorma.jpg.d642a535b42138b6748c03ad92c4bea1.jpg

I was working in London, late 1980's, on an MOD project, with a load of contractors and we used to have a project night out once a month at various restaurants. So we ended up in an Indian's one night and having partaken in a few pints beforehand I decided to be adventurous and go for a starter before my steak. Ordered Mulligatawny Soup - never again has Mulligatawny Soup passed my lips.

Nobody else thought it was hot but my mouth was still feeling the taste/heat for the following two days.

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)
  • Like 1

Way too adventurous for me, Pizza, spaghetti and lasagna (preferably home made) is the only "foreign" food I eat, the Kam Tong (early  60s, upstairs near the arcade in Blyth) was the only ethnic restaurant I was in (yes I was slightly inebriated ) No fish, fruits or nuts for me, except roast chestnuts!

• Like 1

50 yrs ago,in 1970,a shifted ti Stakeford,and a had aalriddy been living in wi me Angel Mother in Law,for 2 years..doon at Grange Park.

So a was oot o touch wi Bedlington itself.

We had a Chinese Takeaway starting up next door ti the Lord Barrington,on Gleggie's corner.

A think it was caaled The Monsoon,but stand to be corrected on that one.

A was famished one neet and went up ti hae a luk in ti see wat a cud get.

A was faced wi 2000 choices of Chicken this and that....wi Beansproots..etc etc!

A settled for an English mixed grill.

A waited aboot  20 mins,taaking ti the young Chinese kid aback o the coonta.

He was the loviest natured kid ye cud ever wish ti meet.

His Brother Jimmy Lee,painted this huge picture of a Leopard in the Jungle...it was like a photo..hangin' on thi waal above the serving hatch..it was aboot 6 feet by 4 feet high,and magnificent!

He said do you llike paintings?..I show you some more what my Brotha Jimmy has done..

He pulled a stack of Artist sized drawing pads...like 2 feet by 18 inches or maybe bigger..they were all of big Cats..amazing.

A got me mixed grill on a foil dish,it was that big a had ti carry it wi both hands stretched oot,and me arms were aching by the time aa got doon yem...aboot 200 yards.

Mind,that,was what aa caaled ...a dinner!!

As years went by they moved,and new owners came in...then aal the cats in the neighbourhood went missing...including two of ours...[at different times].

Whey rumours flew thick and fast,and it was reported that they were raided and there were cats and rats in the fridges!

The rumours came oot aboot every Chinese restaurant that ever opened!!...after that..the poor guys had a really hard time ti get a decent reputation.

It's unthinkable nooadays,but even the Kam Tong was raided and closed doon for the same accusations,in the early 1960's,it was the first time I ever stepped into a place like that ,and only cos we had been playing at the Big Club in Blyth,and me Marra's in the group suggested it.

Aa was green as grass..nivvor been owa the plate-ends in me life,so a was that famished,a had Chicken and chips,just that..[nowt else!]...but ordered a second lot after finishing the forst lot.

Me group Marras thowt a was a greedy sod,but aa was,and still aam,used ti having a big plateful of tetties ,baigie,cabbage,carrots,peas,and broccoli,wi meat and yorksha puddings...!!

This Chinese Chicken meal wadn't o fed me little Black Jess..that's hoo a ahad ti hae a second helpin' !!

Me aad Marra at Bates Pit,was a Butcher by trade,afore gaan doon thi pits..[a knew a few gud tradesmen who went doon the black hole for better pay in the aad days..],and he telt me that the only difference between a Cat,and a Rabbit,was the shape and size of their Kidneys,and both could be flavoured and cooked ti taste like Chicken.

Whey aav had me share of Rabbits in me lifetime,and aal tek sum convincing that ye cud possibly cook a rabbit ti taste like Chicken..but theor yi gaan!

Aam back again folks!,canna cum on like a used ti,me Wife isn't weel at aal,and aam full on caring for her,just gud ti put me oar in again...!!!

Stay Safe folks..Cheers! Bill.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, HIGH PIT WILMA said:

Aam back again folks!,canna cum on like a used ti,me Wife isn't weel at aal,and aam full on caring for her,just gud ti put me oar in again...!!!

Stay Safe folks..Cheers! Bill.

Stay safe maaaraaa🙂

• Like 1

20 hours ago, HIGH PIT WILMA said:

... and very welcome you are HPW! A've missed ya geordie twang! Hope the missus is OK and that you're both keeping safe.

Aahh! Thanks for your kind greeting Canny Lass!

Aav missed aal thi crack ,ye knaa wat it's like bonny lass,caring for your loved one..full time just noo for me..in fact it's treble time withoot owatime pay!

Cath is gaan through a really bad patch,so a haven't been able to come on as much,wat time a  dae get afore bedtime,aav been settling doon wi a u-tube music video ti relax.

Anywheor frae rock-n-roll music..ti opera,and classical organ works..a recently discovered a wee lassie from your end o toon,[whey,she ain't a wee lassie NOO..!..she is a big bonny lassie,caaled AMIRA..[ [ Holland''s Got Talent winner aboot 2013].

She was nine years aad,singing "Nessun Dorma,and Ave Maria" like a seasoned adult opera singer!

A daein't watch telly at aal,but she came up in my google search for Nessun Dorma by Harry Secombe,from the  1960's!!

Anywheh,I digress!..a hope you are both keeping weel and stayin' safe as weel!!

Noo,Can ye mind o' the Chinese takeaway that Tony is on aboot?

Alan,thanks ti ye also,a PM'd ye just noo.

Is the "Ginny's" Fish shop ye mentioned,opposite the Black Bull pub?..when aa was aboot five years aad and growing up,Bill and Jean Gates had that fish shop,and in them days,when ivry otha property in the street was a pub or Working Men's Club,tha was queue's a mile lang at hoyin' oot time...ivry neet!!..

Cheers folks,Stay safe and alert.!

Chinese takaway was. Definitely at the bottom of Hirst terrace at the entrance of welfare park I used to get chips & gravy & chop suet roll on a Saturday afternoon usually lol

3 hours ago, Bedlingtonian said:

The Chinese was on the Millbank Terrace end of Hirst Terrace (Now Brook Court). I remember when it closed that it was infested with rats!

HirstTerrace.JPG

@Bedlingtonian - can't remember seeing this photo before. Checked the old maps and Beech Grove & Hirst Terrace North are not on the 1898 map and are on the 1922. Ok if I share your photo on the Bygone Bedlington Facebook group?

Then & Now

Millbank Terrace.jpg

Me mother was brought up in Hirst terrace during the war, I think one of the last people to leave Hirst terrace prior to demolition was a Scottish builder called Ian Milne he had 3 lasses the oldest was called Linda I remember she came with my mother & my brother + me to see T.Rex at the City hall in the early seventies I think one of he's last tours before he died. Anyway Linda had to younger sisters & Ian's wife was called Shirley. A Guide post lass I think

On 25/07/2020 at 01:55, Tonyp said:

Me mother was brought up in Hirst terrace during the war, I think one of the last people to leave Hirst terrace prior to demolition was a Scottish builder called Ian Milne he had 3 lasses the oldest was called Linda I remember she came with my mother & my brother + me to see T.Rex at the City hall in the early seventies I think one of he's last tours before he died. Anyway Linda had to younger sisters & Ian's wife was called Shirley. A Guide post lass I think

Linda, Lorna & Tracey. Suspect I was at the same concert at City Hall when it started with Marc rising from the stage on a star. ☺️ 

Definitely same concert bedlingtonian when he jumped off the star he sang whatever happened to a teenage dream brilliant concert I do believe T.Rex were the first group to perform At Glastonbury but I probably will get proved Wrong happy days  

1 hour ago, Tonyp said:

Definitely same concert bedlingtonian when he jumped off the star he sang whatever happened to a teenage dream brilliant concert I do believe T.Rex were the first group to perform At Glastonbury but I probably will get proved Wrong happy days  

The original headline acts were The Kinks and Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders but these acts were replaced at short notice by Tyrannosaurus Rex, later known as T. Rex. Tickets were £1. Other billed acts of note were Steamhammer, Quintessence,Stackridge, Al Stewart and Keith Christmas.
Organised by: Glastonbury Festivals Ltd
Genre: Performing arts festival
Location(s): Pilton, Somerset, England
Founder: Michael Eavis

Glastonbury Festival - Wikipedia

Back in 1970, started life as the Pilton Pop, Blues & Folk Festival. It was called the Glastonbury Free Festival the following year, before finally landing on the simple but effective Glastonbury Festival in 1979.

Tyrannosaurus Rex.jpg

23 hours ago, Tonyp said:

Always thought of myself as a 20th Century Boy and a Child of the Revolution who had a Teenage Dream.😉

14 hours ago, Tonyp said:

Could be worse your missus could be called Deborah & likes one inch rock & is a jeepster for your hot love 😂😜

Must be me age☺️- could not work that line out - had to Google it ⌨️.

Answer = 

'One Inch Rock' - Lyrics
Met a woman she's spouting prose
She's got luggage eyes and a roman nose
Her body is slung from side to side
Need a lift she said much obliged
I'm riding piggy-back
Then I came to her shack
We go inside the place it's a mess
She said my name's the liquid poetess
She unties her mouth
And her buckskin dress
She drinks from a bottle
Labelled tenderness
I'm in one hand in the other's a can
She puts me in the can
And smiles through the wall
I got the horror's cos I'm one inch tall
Next thing I know's a girl by my side
Dressed in a bayleaf she's trying to hide
I asked her name she said Germaine
Do the rock do the one inch rock.

Hi Alan 

don't think anybody could understand Marc Bolans lyrics none of it made sense really but he's music  was good at the time. I think everybody had different interpretations of what he's lyrics were about,God knows!! I do love this forum how it's changed from Chinese takaways in Bedlington to T.Rex 😂Hope symptoms doesn't come to this discussion with roast potatoes 🥔 in oil or council Robinson questioning my excessive use of full stops .........

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now