The Shows Are Here!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My apologies.

Apology accepted...........you're a gentleman Pete:D

Although the pit was long gone before I arrived I do remember the pit rows ie Doctor Terrace etc

Apology accepted...........you're a gentleman Pete:D

Although the pit was long gone before I arrived I do remember the pit rows ie Doctor Terrace etc

I am not sure when the Doctor pit closed Esme as I left Bedlington in 1966 and it was still working then, so was the Old pit. The boomer was near its end then.

I remember a lot of people I knew applied for transfers to the Nottingham coalfield, they were mainly electricians and fitters.

I remember the shows when they used to be on the field where the police station is now.

They seemed a lot bigger then.

As I recall all of the caravans, wagons and side shows were always painted a very dark red colour, was this true or is just my memory fading.

:D

As I recall all of the caravans, wagons and side shows were always painted a very dark red colour, was this true or is just my memory fading.

That`s so you don`t notice the blood-stains after their nightly bare knuckle fisticuffs and dog fights :lol:

Pete - your memory isn't playing tricks with you about the shows and I'm sure that, judging from your other posts regarding the past, Alzheimer's hasn't kicked-in.

Most of the owners of the individual rides and sideshows would have been members of the Showman's Guild who would have had great pride in the appearance of their kit. You're right - their wagons were usually painted a dark maroon or red colour with great sign-writing and pin-striping (usually in gold colour); their caravans were also things to behold.

When the Picnic shows were on 20 acres I seem to remember local lads being recruited to help run the rides. There were things like the Wall of Death (I can only remember this attraction visiting on a couple of occasions), The Dance of the Seven Veils (some wizened old girl getting her kit off when what you were promised at the door were exotic ladies of the East - what a gyp!). The best of the lot was the Boxing Booth where the locals were challenged by the barker to go 3 rounds with some evil looking guy to win a fiver. It was brilliant to see all the local 'hard boys', and plenty of pissed pitmen, getting thumped.

The last night always ended in a mass punch-up. Ah, happy days!

Pete - your memory isn't playing tricks with you about the shows and I'm sure that, judging from your other posts regarding the past, Alzheimer's hasn't kicked-in.

Most of the owners of the individual rides and sideshows would have been members of the Showman's Guild who would have had great pride in the appearance of their kit. You're right - their wagons were usually painted a dark maroon or red colour with great sign-writing and pin-striping (usually in gold colour); their caravans were also things to behold.

When the Picnic shows were on 20 acres I seem to remember local lads being recruited to help run the rides. There were things like the Wall of Death (I can only remember this attraction visiting on a couple of occasions), The Dance of the Seven Veils (some wizened old girl getting her kit off when what you were promised at the door were exotic ladies of the East - what a gyp!). The best of the lot was the Boxing Booth where the locals were challenged by the barker to go 3 rounds with some evil looking guy to win a fiver. It was brilliant to see all the local 'hard boys', and plenty of pissed pitmen, getting thumped.

The last night always ended in a mass punch-up. Ah, happy days!

I remember the local lads working in the shows for a few bob, the wall of death, now that was something else and your right I only remember it a couple of times and that was on the field next to the Doctor pit. They used to come round at the end of the performance and ask you to put money in a bucket because nobody would insure the bike riders, or at least that was the story they told.

The Boxing Booths also had wrestlers, I remember one of the boxers that used to be employed by them his name was Paddy and he also worked as a kicker out at the Clayton dance on a Monday and Friday night.

Symptoms, changing the subject a bit do you remember when Shane Fenton and the Fentones Came to the Clayton dance one Monday night, it cost 2/6d to get in, normal price was 1/6d, never seen anything like it we thought it was fantastic.

He changed his name a few year ago to Alvin Stardust. The Fentones used to be on the radio on a Saturday morning.

Great Days.

I remember the local lads working in the shows for a few bob, the wall of death, now that was something else and your right I only remember it a couple of times and that was on the field next to the Doctor pit. They used to come round at the end of the performance and ask you to put money in a bucket because nobody would insure the bike riders, or at least that was the story they told.

The Boxing Booths also had wrestlers, I remember one of the boxers that used to be employed by them his name was Paddy and he also worked as a kicker out at the Clayton dance on a Monday and Friday night.

Symptoms, changing the subject a bit do you remember when Shane Fenton and the Fentones Came to the Clayton dance one Monday night, it cost 2/6d to get in, normal price was 1/6d, never seen anything like it we thought it was fantastic.

He changed his name a few year ago to Alvin Stardust. The Fentones used to be on the radio on a Saturday morning.

Great Days.

I remember Alvin Stardust..

Coo coo I just want you

Really love the things that you do

Come on and love-a-me too

Oh won't you be my coo-ca-choo

Sweetness I like ya dress

I love the way you know you're the best

I'm in love and I'm in a mess

I really want you coo-ca-choo....

eeee mind...they don`t write them like they used to :lol:

I remember Alvin Stardust..

Coo coo I just want you

Really love the things that you do

Come on and love-a-me too

Oh won't you be my coo-ca-choo

Sweetness I like ya dress

I love the way you know you're the best

I'm in love and I'm in a mess

I really want you coo-ca-choo....

eeee mind...they don`t write them like they used to :lol:

He used to be called Shane Fenton and he came to Bedlington in the sixties and performed with his group the Fentones at the Clayton dance.

He used to be called Shane Fenton and he came to Bedlington in the sixties and performed with his group the Fentones at the Clayton dance.

He must of been hard-up to gan to the Clayton :lol:

Can't remember what his song was but it was number one in the charts as I recall, you could say that he put Bedlington on the map, well for one night only.

and here`s me thinking that the Bedlington Terrier was the thing that put Bedlington on the map...they should have called it the " Bedlington Stardust Terrier" :lol:

and here`s me thinking that the Bedlington Terrier was the thing that put Bedlington on the map...they should have called it the " Bedlington Stardust Terrier" :lol:

:lol::lol:

We also had a discotech in the Railway Tavern which was very famous and not always for the music.

:lol::lol:

Oh Aye...i hope you weren`t involved in any shinanigans mind :lol:

No not me but there was always fighting outside in the car park (piece of rough ground that acted as a car park next to the Railway Tavern)

The disco was good it had them lights that turned your white shirt pale blue and your beer looked like a pint of sump oil.

• 2 weeks later...
thank !*!@# they've Gone!

see theres a load of pikies/gypo's at that business park near ashington.

There is a difference between Gypsies and Showmen.

Gypsies are the people you will see parked on fields or in sites.

Showmen are the ones with rides etc, part of the showmans guild, Gypsies and Showmen dont get on, so there is a slight difference

Believe me i used to work for showmen!!!

There is a difference between Gypsies and Showmen.

Gypsies are the people you will see parked on fields or in sites.

Showmen are the ones with rides etc, part of the showmans guild, Gypsies and Showmen dont get on, so there is a slight difference

Believe me i used to work for showmen!!!

ok i stand corrected! sorry about the mix up there!

so what did you used to do hook the duck! or spin the waltzer cars?

ok i stand corrected! sorry about the mix up there!

so what did you used to do hook the duck! or spin the waltzer cars?

Her boyfriend at the time used to...and still does....spin the waltzer cars. she used to work on the burger vans i believe... am i right hunni?

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now