Scout hut at Bedlington station

Hello , 

I’m looking for the history behind the scout hut that’s now East meets west black belt academy on Waverley drive in Bedlington station . We have some strange ‘ ghostly ‘ noises / feelings and sightings in the hall . It would be great to find out any history and story’s about the building . 

I will have to start by saying I am a nonbeliever in the paranormal☺️.

I did attend the cubs in the late 1950's early 60's at what was then the scout hut before you got to Waverley Drive and can't remember any stories about ghosts etc. 

I will have to check with my old mates to see if they are believers and have heard any stories about believers reporting ghostly noises/feelings and sightings.

Am I right in saying that the hut I remember has been replaced with a new hut/building?

• Like 1

I was a cub from 1954 at the age of 5 until I left as a Queens scout at the age of 17 when those things that wear skirts became more interesting!

During my time there the building went from a wooden hut to a brick building with the work beginning around 1964-5. The building was built by Phillipson builders who were based behind Bridge Terrace at the station. The plumbing and heating works were carried out by Henderson Plumbers who had their yard behind Jubilee Terrace. A gas boiler was installed with radiators throughout. Much better than the paraffin fuelled portable heaters with a circular wick that were used. A ladies toilet was added and a new kitchen complete with running hot water. I cannot remember the name of the electrical company at this time but may have had a shop where Sonia's is now. An electrician called Brian Metcalf may have worked on the building. I think the new building was built down to a price. The workmanship was good but the bricks used were not the best or near the best though all other materials were good quality.

Money for the new building was raised via jumble sales, beetle drives, bob-a-job, raffles, carol singing at xmas and any other way possible.

The only 'ghostly noises' I can think of were creaking sounds in the wooden hut when the wind blew hard. Perhaps others felt differently but I'm like eggy as regards the paranormal and I'm not frightened in the dark.

That branch of the scouts was officially designated The 1st Bedlington Station, 15th Bedlingtonshire troop. Blue and yellow neckerchief's were worn as part of the uniform. Walter Gregg was chairman or president.

Here's a story.

On one of the weekly Friday evening meetings in the wooden hut one of the those portable paraffin heaters suddenly flared up with flames going up 3ft. One of the scouts(no names, no pack drill) grabbed a bucket of water and threw it on the heater. This is , of course, absolutely the wrong thing to do. The flame immediately went from 3ft up to the ceiling and turned along the ceiling in every direction. The ceiling was painted with gloss paint so very quickly the hall filled with black acrid choking smoke. The scouts were soon evacuating though the windows as well as the main door. The scout master grabbed a fire extinguisher and bravely got the flames under control. I don't know how he managed to withstand the conditions. The whole place stunk for months.

One of the sign boards on the outside wall indicates it is still a cub/scout meeting place so must be a shared venue.

My time spent in either building brings back happy memories.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Jammy said:

Here's a story.

On one of the weekly Friday evening meetings in the wooden hut one of the those portable paraffin heaters suddenly flared up with flames going up 3ft. One of the scouts(no names, no pack drill) grabbed a bucket of water and threw it on the heater. This is , of course, absolutely the wrong thing to do. The flame immediately went from 3ft up to the ceiling and turned along the ceiling in every direction. The ceiling was painted with gloss paint so very quickly the hall filled with black acrid choking smoke. The scouts were soon evacuating though the windows as well as the main door. The scout master grabbed a fire extinguisher and bravely got the flames under control. I don't know how he managed to withstand the conditions. The whole place stunk for months.

I hope 'no name' had his safety badge(s) unpicked from his sleeve:thumbsdown:

Project1.png

• Haha 2

Thanks for the replies .

I’m not sure how to use this to reply to  individual comments . The Scouts  still use the building for storage as far as I’m aware . One of the instructors recently was in the building alone and herd knocking on doors inside the building . Others have reported hearing voices in the hall way when the building was empty . There is a few other tales as well .  

I think it fascinating either way ghosts or not to find out about the history of the building and area . 

3 hours ago, Scott85 said:

Thanks for the replies .

I’m not sure how to use this to reply to  individual comments . The Scouts  still use the building for storage as far as I’m aware . One of the instructors recently was in the building alone and herd knocking on doors inside the building . Others have reported hearing voices in the hall way when the building was empty . There is a few other tales as well .  

I think it fascinating either way ghosts or not to find out about the history of the building and area . 

@Scott85 - if you select/click on the blue text = 'Quote' below a comment the system copies that full comment into the next space you are about to comment in. Yon can also go back to another comment and select 'Quote' on that one and the system adds it , along with the previous selected quote, into the comment you are busy making. You can then, if you want to, delete parts of the text from the comments you have selected and then add your own comment.  

• 2 months later...

Yesterday I called in at the scouts hut when the East meets West black belt academy was there and spoke to one of the instructors.

The building still belongs to the Scouts Association and the East meets West black belt academy rents the building and have done for 15yrs. The scouts have a lockup room where they keep some things.

I wonder why there are no cubs or scouts using the building. I remember when Henner Forsythe was the scout master and his wife was cub master(?). I was told at the time there was a waiting list to join the cubs so can only think finding replacements for those roles when the Forsythes retired was the problem. Whatever the reason it's a shame because I had some great times in the cubs and scouts and I'm sure many more would have if given the opportunity.

Jammy

Edited by Jammy
  • Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now