Are You Being Watched

What do people think of the news that the UK is the most videoed nation in the world? Good thing or bad?

bad to many !*!@# speed cameras! good cameras watching the chavas breaking in to your car! or should that be bad the fact that they couldn't care there on camera! no of course they got hoodies!

What do people think of the news that the UK is the most videoed nation in the world? Good thing or bad?

Worrying thing to me is that they are up for good! Yes there is a good argument to have CCTV installed in certain areas but once they are up you (the public who they are supposed to be protecting) cannot get them taken down. If the need for them has been a fairly recent social development, say the last 10-15yrs, then might not that need disappear in the next 10 yrs or so, or do we all have a very pessimistic view of the way society will go? I was involved in the bid to get them into Bedlington and I asked for a clause in the bylaws where it had to be voted on, by elected councillors say, every few years to keep them up. Either that or some way we, the general public, could have them taken down when we felt there was no need for them. That idea was quashed by…………..the cops! The very people we give special powers to police our society in the way we want it to operate and for that reason they should have absolutely no input into the making of laws! The law is there for us to agree on and for them to police!

It is a sad indictment of us to have the need for them, it is even sadder we have no control over them!

Worrying thing to me is that they are up for good! Yes there is a good argument to have CCTV installed in certain areas but once they are up you (the public who they are supposed to be protecting) cannot get them taken down. If the need for them has been a fairly recent social development, say the last 10-15yrs, then might not that need disappear in the next 10 yrs or so, or do we all have a very pessimistic view of the way society will go? I was involved in the bid to get them into Bedlington and I asked for a clause in the bylaws where it had to be voted on, by elected councillors say, every few years to keep them up. Either that or some way we, the general public, could have them taken down when we felt there was no need for them. That idea was quashed by…………..the cops! The very people we give special powers to police our society in the way we want it to operate and for that reason they should have absolutely no input into the making of laws! The law is there for us to agree on and for them to police!

It is a sad indictment of us to have the need for them, it is even sadder we have no control over them!

To be honest Malcolm I can only see society getting worse over the next 10 - 15 years, we seem to be heading in the direction of a lawless society where none of the three major political parties seem really bothered.

It is frightening to think what it will be like in 10 - 15 years, CCTV may have a vital role to play for a long time yet.

I had the chance to use the CCTV cameras in bedlington a few years back .. i wouldnt worry to much about being caught on them as they dont in fact ... work . And the others just looked up at the sky .. if theyve been improved since i dont know

To be honest Malcolm I can only see society getting worse over the next 10 - 15 years, we seem to be heading in the direction of a lawless society where none of the three major political parties seem really bothered.

Apart from the falling crime rate and increased prosperity you mean?

Yes Colonel. :lol::lol::lol:

it's only falling cause they've learnt to wear hoodies or sas masks when there up to no good! and the police are left powerless cause they cant id the bastards! :lol: :lol:

You misunderstand. By "falling crime rate" what I mean is that there are fewer crimes taking place in the Northumbria area. This is a matter of statistical record.

The last ten years has seen crime decrease and prosperity increase. Despite what right-wing newspapers say, this country is not "going to hell on a handcart".

You misunderstand. By "falling crime rate" what I mean is that there are fewer crimes taking place in the Northumbria area. This is a matter of statistical record.

The last ten years has seen crime decrease and prosperity increase. Despite what right-wing newspapers say, this country is not "going to hell on a handcart".

It does not look that way from where I am standing Colonel. I agree with Monsta on this one.

It does not look that way from where I am standing Colonel. I agree with Monsta on this one.

A few questions...

Is it just the level of rudeness that is scarily prevelant that you object to that makes you think it's all going breasts aloft, or have you reported crimes and nothing has been done so you feel like you might as well not have bothered?

I'm curious because there is a school of thought out there who've put forward the idea that it's not crime that's rising, it's the fear of crime that's on the increase.... :unsure:

Just a thought like....

There are fewer recorded crimes, but that's not the same thing at all. People no longer bother to report minor ones because they know there's no redress and it's largely a waste of time. Also the police and Home Office (or department of whatever it's been re-badged this week) spend a fair portion of their time playing with the statistics. What matters is how people regard their community, and it's pretty clear that the vast majority fear for the future.

Blaming the newspapers - or the ones you don't agree with - for the situation is a poor excuse. We've had ten years of a government totally dominated by spin, and most people no longer believe anything they are told by big government. Even Gordon B. seems to acknowledge this in his latest speech.

And.. isn't the colloquialism going to hell in a handbasket? :)

A few questions...

Is it just the level of rudeness that is scarily prevelant that you object to that makes you think it's all going breasts aloft, or have you reported crimes and nothing has been done so you feel like you might as well not have bothered?

I'm curious because there is a school of thought out there who've put forward the idea that it's not crime that's rising, it's the fear of crime that's on the increase.... :unsure:

Just a thought like....

Yes I have reported crime in the past and nothing was ever done about it. I also agree with Threegee that statistics can be manipulated by government departments (He may not have used those words but I think that is where he was going).

Level of rudeness well you have a good point there, I would say lack of respect seems to be on the increase more so with the youth of this country (not all youth) and they are the future.

Got to agree with GGG.

From personal experience there were 12 crimes commited in 2 months where I used to live but only one was given a crime number and that was for the insurance claim. So were there 12 crimes commited as everyone knew or only 1? Says something about the "fear of crime". Instead of stopping motorists for having a side light out I think the cops should be rounding up these feral chavs who roam our streets in the early hours, course that might involve officers having to get out of their cars!

Great idea. The majority of law abiding people have nothing to worry about.

We live in a rural location with no surrounding houses, so our property also has a number of CCTV cameras - although we generally only record the occasional late night or early morning fox or rabbit!

My only fear is that some one monitoring public cameras may use the information he/she aquires for other means (eg. sees someone on the street, therefore may know their house is empty etc).

I couldn't give a !*!@#. I'm a law-abiding citizen so Big Brother can film me all he likes.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now