The Old Gas Shop

Something happening in the old shop, new shutters being installed. Anyone know what's happening ?

Something happening in the old shop, new shutters being installed. Anyone know what's happening ?

Just thought, could it be yet another solicitors, Bedlington just doesn't have enough :rolleyes:

last year a local martial arts group were looking into developing it into a full time dojo, back then their was talk of the 'piss corner' being taken out and shutters put in.

i think this development is merely going on to make the place more 'presentable' to would be future renters.

as far as i know, permission has been sought for take away (chinchillas - refused) solicitors and a travel agents, but all were refused planning permission.

the martial arts place got the go-ahead, but they pulled out due to a better offer elsewhere, maybe they reconsidered?

• 4 weeks later...
Had the owner of the old gas shop in our shop recently, her and her brother are opening an internet cafe, seemingly he makes websites or builds them whatever the jargon is!

anythings better than the eyesore as it stands.its about time the coonsul spent more than a few coppers in the town centre

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
Any further work been sighted yet? Seems to have reached a bit of a standstill.

Last I heard it was being used as a bit of a storeroom or tvs and things. Also I see work has started on renovating the old Maxi Freeze and units are 'To Let' and a new door installed. Office units maybe for solicitors seeing as Bedlington doesn't have enough :)

We haven't been back to Bedlington for a few years, where is this shop located?

Vic

Maxi-freeze is located in the building to the right of where the old top club used to be, the one that burned down 50-60 years ago. Was a Netto before it moved down the bank (to where the newer top club was situated before it was demolished due to subsidence!) and i believe was once laws stores...

the old gas shop is located father east, down the front street, past the 'nail' (market place monument) on the same side of the road as the northumberland arms, opposite st cuthberts church.

post-33-1171487002_thumb.jpg

Maxi-freeze is located in the building to the right of where the old top club used to be, the one that burned down 50-60 years ago. Was a Netto before it moved down the bank (to where the newer top club was situated before it was demolished due to subsidence!) and i believe was once laws stores...

Mr Darn, I am old enough thanks! The old Club on Front Street exploded around 78-79 so about 30 yrs ago! The Maxi Freeze building was a Laws Stores when I first came to Bedlington then eventually Netto. The Club moved to a new site opposite Glebe road which is now Netto. I believe the Club had to be demolished because of faulty concrete, it was only a few years old, and they claimed against the contractor who almost immeadiatly went into receivership!

One other point to make is did anyone notice the glass shear strips applied to the side of the new flats and the Maxi Freeze building? One of them ( the buildings) is on the move, or was when I last looked!

That Maxi Freeze building was going to be a gastro pub before it became a freezer shop but at the last minute they couldn't getting the required planning because of emergency access to the rear?

It needs to be something as it gives a bad impression of the commercial heart of the town as you drive through. :)

• 3 weeks later...
just what we need!

Hang on... i see a pattern comming out here....

i moan about the ironing never getting done, you ask for a new ironing board and iron, i moan the floor needs hoovering, we get a new hoover, the kids need something to look after to teach them responsiblity, we get a hamster, rabbit, 6 fish, a cat and a puppy. now a new kitchen center is opening in bedlington and its just what we need?? i seem to remember commenting on the quality of miss darns cooking not long back, think i've said too much????

hang on......

i do the hoovering, ironing, look after the rabbit, fish, hamster, cat and puppy AND i do the cooking........

Hmmmmnnnnn..................

(Que Miss Darn!!!)