Canny lass

Friday night is quiz night ('cos I know you've got nothing better to do just now)

On 05/09/2020 at 21:34, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

Ps It’s Liza with a ‘nn’ not Lisa with a ‘n’ :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I nr apgze fr my sping msks. Bt thks awy.

Answers to last wek's quiz:

1.       Roderic (Rod) Evans

2.       Judy Garland

3.       Brighton and Hove Albion

4.       Social Democratic Party (SDP)

5.       Marsupial

6.       Tegucigalpa

7.       The Potteries

8.       Barnes Wallis

9.       1.5 miles

10.   Lloyd George

11.   Barium

12.   Full of woe

You lot are getting too good at this! Going to make them more difficult!

• Like 1

This week's quiz:

1.         What does a cricket umpire signal by raising one arm horizontally?

2.         Which writer was imprisoned because of his relationship with Lord Alfred Douglas?

3.         A strobilus is another name for what?

4.         What was the occupation during the French revolution of a tricoteuse?

5.         When referring to radio waves what do the initials AM stand for?

6.         Which island separates the two principal parts of Niagara Falls?

7.         In which film did Bob Hoskins play Eddie Valiant?

8.         Who won the women’s Olympic 100 metres in 1992?

9.         Which terrier is the largest of the terrier breeds?

10.      In mythology what happened if you drank the water of the River Lethe?

11.      For every seven white keys on a piano how many black keys are there?

12.      The deficiency of which vitamin can cause rickets? 

I’ll bet you didn’t know ….

Queen Christina of Sweden had a 10 cm long cannon which she used to fire cannonballs at flies!

Answers on Thursday.

1.         What does a cricket umpire signal by raising one arm horizontally? No ball

2.         Which writer was imprisoned because of his relationship with Lord Alfred Douglas? Oscar Wilde

3.         A strobilus is another name for what? Pine cone

4.         What was the occupation during the French revolution of a tricoteuse? Execution knitter

5.         When referring to radio waves what do the initials AM stand for? Amplitude Modulation

6.         Which island separates the two principal parts of Niagara Falls? Goat island

7.         In which film did Bob Hoskins play Eddie Valiant? Who censored Rodger rabbit.

8.         Who won the women’s Olympic 100 metres in 1992? Gail Devers

9.         Which terrier is the largest of the terrier breeds? Airedale.

10.      In mythology what happened if you drank the water of the River Lethe? Hmm,I forgot that one!

11.      For every seven white keys on a piano how many black keys are there? 5

12.      The deficiency of which vitamin can cause rickets? D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vic Patterson said:

1.         What does a cricket umpire signal by raising one arm horizontally?                                 No ball

2.         Which writer was imprisoned because of his relationship with Lord Alfred Douglas?

3.         A strobilus is another name for what?

4.         What was the occupation during the French revolution of a tricoteuse?                          Guillotine sharpener 

5.         When referring to radio waves what do the initials AM stand for?                                     Amplitude Modulation

6.         Which island separates the two principal parts of Niagara Falls?                                       Ram Island 

7.         In which film did Bob Hoskins play Eddie Valiant?

8.         Who won the women’s Olympic 100 metres in 1992?                                                            Gail Devers

9.         Which terrier is the largest of the terrier breeds?                                                                      Airedale

10.      In mythology what happened if you drank the water of the River Lethe?

11.      For every seven white keys on a piano how many black keys are there?                                  5

12.      The deficiency of which vitamin can cause rickets?                                            Vitamin D(needed for the body to absorb calcium)

• Like 1

1.         What does a cricket umpire signal by raising one arm horizontally?

Answer = No Ball

1089665511_1NoBall.png.b6f07f91bfb65eedc6f9db985055cdfa.png

2.         Which writer was imprisoned because of his relationship with Lord Alfred Douglas?

Answer = Oscar Wilde

3.         A strobilus is another name for what?

Answer = Cone

A strobilus (plural: strobili) is a structure present on many land plant species consisting of sporangia-bearing structures densely aggregated along a stem. Strobili are often called cones, but some botanists restrict the use of the term cone to the woody seedstrobili of conifers.

1202550421_3strobilus.jpg.e2b813e605e870e23b200340cdefdf21.jpg

4.         What was the occupation during the French revolution of a tricoteuse?

Answer = Knitter

133602831_4knitting.jpg.befbc5a14c322e7c42e6c5a7145d71d2.jpg

5.         When referring to radio waves what do the initials AM stand for?

Answer = Amplitude Modulation  - that is only transmitted between 00:00 and 12:00 :D:D:D:D

6.         Which island separates the two principal parts of Niagara Falls?

Answer = Goat Island

There are eight goats total on the island, seven adults and one baby.:)

2140821656_6goat.jpg.5eed9f51fe933d1c842bd7b6ab9b160f.jpg

7.         In which film did Bob Hoskins play Eddie Valiant?

Answer = Who Framed Roger Rabbit

8.         Who won the women’s Olympic 100 metres in 1992?

Answer = Gail Devers – by a finger nail :)

800242002_8Gail.jpg.779351ca4d095411f1320beecf4e57cd.jpg

9.         Which terrier is the largest of the terrier breeds?

Answer = Gateway Terrier :)

482791381_9Terrier.thumb.jpg.46d18a845338ccd97faea38cb0576c12.jpg

10.      In mythology what happened if you drank the water of the River Lethe?

Answer = Can’t remember what I did yesterday = that’s normal :o

11.      For every seven white keys on a piano how many black keys are there?

Answer = 5 =  we should start a campaign to get more black keys + some other colours :)

1769685090_11keys.png.1941e9645dd656047a3399ecebd66daf.png

12.      The deficiency of which vitamin can cause rickets?

Answer = D = stops me bones from collapsing :thumbsup:

Queen Christina of Sweden had a 10 cm long cannon which she used to fire cannonballs at flies!

Answer = I didn’t.

I wonder if she used a Cotton Wool Bud as a sponge instead of a long staff or rammer with a piece of fleece sheep or lambskin wound about its end for scouring the cannon when discharged. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Answers to last week's quiz:

1.       No ball

2.       Oscar Wilde

3.       A pine cone

4.       Knitting

5.       Amplitude modulation

6.       Goat island

7.       Who Framed Roger Rabbit

8.       Gail Devers

9.       Airedale terrier

10.   You forgot

11.   Five

12.   Vitamin D

I thought I'd made it really difficult this week. Clearly I underestimated the amount of trivia you people already know. I must try harder tomorrow!

On 12/09/2020 at 20:24, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

Answer = I didn’t.

Neither did I!

On 12/09/2020 at 20:24, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

I wonder if she used a Cotton Wool Bud as a sponge instead of a long staff or rammer with a piece of fleece sheep or lambskin wound about its end for scouring the cannon when discharged

I didn't know the woman personally, so I'm not in a position to say. When I refer to myself as a "woman of a certain age" I don't mean born in the 17th century. 

• Like 1

On 11/09/2020 at 18:17, Vic Patterson said:

In mythology what happened if you drank the water of the River Lethe? Hmm,I forgot that one!

sharp witted as usual!

Here it is! A bit late but we've had real summer weather today so I finished off the gardening chores before it gets dark.

1.         Nairobi is the capital of which African country?

2.         Which planet is nearest the sun?

3.         What name, derived from the Latin for ‘old man’, is sometimes given to the legislative assembly of a country?

4.         Which wine is flavoured with pine resin?

5.         Which organ is inflamed when you are suffering from Nephritis?

6.         Which swimmer won seven gold medals at the 1972 Olympic Games?

7.         Who was the last prisoner to be held at the Tower of London?

8.         Which bottle size is equivalent to 12 standard bottles?

9.         Which West End and Broadway musical was adapted from T.S. Elliott’s Old Possum Poems?

10.      How many points win a game of Cribbage?

11.      What name is given to an eagle’s home?

12.      What do we call the chemical process by which a substance combines with oxygen to produce heat and light? 

William Wordsworth was, at one time, thought to be a French spy and was followed for a whole month by a detective.

Answers on Thursday.

• Thanks 1

1.         Nairobi is the capital of which African country?                                                                                                                 Kenya

2.         Which planet is nearest the sun?                                                                                                                                           Mercury

3.         What name, derived from the Latin for ‘old man’, is sometimes given to the legislative assembly of a country?   Senet

4.         Which wine is flavoured with pine resin?

5.         Which organ is inflamed when you are suffering from Nephritis?                                                                                     Kidney(s)

6.         Which swimmer won seven gold medals at the 1972 Olympic Games?                                                                           Marc Spitz

7.         Who was the last prisoner to be held at the Tower of London?

8.         Which bottle size is equivalent to 12 standard bottles?                                                                                                       Magnum

9.         Which West End and Broadway musical was adapted from T.S. Elliott’s Old Possum Poems?                                     Cats

10.      How many points win a game of Cribbage?                                                                                                                            21 points

11.      What name is given to an eagle’s home?                                                                                                                                Eyrie (Eagles nest)

12.      What do we call the chemical process by which a substance combines with oxygen to produce heat and light?     Combustion

1.         Nairobi is the capital of which African country?

Answer = Kenya

2.         Which planet is nearest the sun?

Answer = Mercury

3.         What name, derived from the Latin for ‘old man’, is sometimes given to the legislative assembly of a country?

Answer = Senate

4.         Which wine is flavoured with pine resin?

Answer = Retsina

Europe's Oldest Living Resident Is This Pine Tree in Greece  - A Bosnian pine tree found in a forest in Greece has been alive for more than a millennium, the BBC reports. A team of researchers from Stockholm University, the University of Mainz in Germany, and the University of Arizona found the 1075-year-old Pinus heldreichii in the Pindos mountains in northern Greece.

982752856_4tree.jpg.77008c8825b650143cb6e25743a7e335.jpg

5.         Which organ is inflamed when you are suffering from Nephritis?

Answer = Kidney

1175308910_5nephritis.jpg.4358ffc3b1b6de586cf6000444fd0158.jpg

6.         Which swimmer won seven gold medals at the 1972 Olympic Games?

Answer = Mark Spitz

345390381_6spitz.jpg.d6b12793ce163b05bc04c1d3af75d968.jpg

7.         Who was the last prisoner to be held at the Tower of London?

Answer = Kray Twins

Summer 1969, after a night out and walking back from the West End to the East End Eggy & Jas (Mick Joseph) ended up on Whitechapel Road and saw the Blind Begger. We decided to have a look – had a look in – the place went quiet, we turned and walked out – once out we ran :):)

342126486_7Kray.jpg.63df55ffa454e055698df5361ed5fcfd.jpg

1738409603_8The_Blind_Beggar.jpg.2cc8b385fbda8ca0b8e826b0f85791bb.jpg

8.         Which bottle size is equivalent to 12 standard bottles?

Answer = balthazar

9.         Which West End and Broadway musical was adapted from T.S. Elliott’s Old Possum Poems?

Answer = cats

Fortunately I was never dragged to see it J. The one musical, whilst we were in London, I was enticed to see was We Will Rock You – c2003. Haven’t been to a musical since J

10.      How many points win a game of Cribbage?

Answer = 61

1819184641_10crib.jpg.83d24f2f145166830781c0b43acba1f9.jpg

11.      What name is given to an eagle’s home?

Answer = Eyrie

12.      What do we call the chemical process by which a substance combines with oxygen to produce heat and light?

Answer = combustion

William Wordsworth was, at one time, thought to be a French spy and was followed for a whole month by a detective.

Answer - I didn't

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Hide Adverts

• Latest News

Police are investigating a Bedlington care home where inspectors say some elderly residents weren't kept safe.
      Medicines had allegedly gone missing at Baedling Manor Care Home, while the local authority was called in to monitor the home's safeguarding arrangements.
      The home's 49 residents "did not always experience safe care and treatment", inspectors from the Care Quality Commission (CQC) said.
      The CQC said it had launched an inspection after being contacted with concerns about "safeguarding people, staffing, recruitment, medicines, infection control, consent, complaints and the governance of the service".
      Downgrading the home, run by Alcyone Healthcare, from 'Good' to 'Requires Improvement', the report said: "People were not always safeguarded from the risk of harm. Incidents were not reported or recorded properly, and action was not always taken to address matters.
      "The home was placed into organisational safeguarding by the local authority and there were police investigations in progress."

• Latest Topics