Friday night is quiz night ('cos I know you've got nothing better to do just now)

Canny lass

1.         What would you expect to find in a pluvial region?

Answer =Rain693677963_1pluvial.jpg.714ae5609a858c7263b180afb7b3edc9.jpg

2.         Where is Rupert Bear’s home town?

Answer =855786675_2Nutwood.jpg.16de1dced8205051b2f1c639c4c4f9c9.jpg

3.         What is the surname of boxing brothers Leon and Michael?

Answer =804924386_3SPINKS.jpg.d7ddf69608202e328db207d59c923ee7.jpg

4.         From which country does the wine Johannisberger come?

Answer =950801479_4germany.jpg.6abfe9be99cd5a211db2886cd2ddc897.jpg

5.         A nectarine is a cross between a peach and which other fruit?

Answer =1041040336_5nectarine.jpg.286b9ca72c9a4b11621a0b684deebb1a.jpg

6.         In what year did Salman Rushdie go into hiding?

Answer =347236494_6rushdie.jpg.bdeff0b2b2eef326e731317620e5859c.jpg

7.         There are two Cleopatra’s Needles. One is in London, where is the other?

Answer =426449643_7newyork.jpg.d826a05ac5b653082651f7f9aae77cb3.jpg

8.         Who sang the theme song to the Bond film The Spy Who Loved Me?

Answer =1796898221_8carly.jpg.0f01d91daaa84d691cec8618c9d95942.jpg

9.         Who in literature was haunted by the ghost of Banquo?

Answer =955214693_9spot.jpg.f0767d947f6a0c7955af49f4e65e3bd9.jpg

10.      Into which sea or ocean does the Mekong river flow?

Answer =107883588_10sea.jpg.04c8aa70374fba5a2613fa4c5199a5e2.jpg

11.      Which European prime minister was assassinated in February 1986?

Answer =32369981_11olaf.jpg.6f65e0534520fd4c54278cb25eafd1b8.jpg

12.      What were The Kinks dedicated followers of in 1966?

Answer = Bedlington Station lads :)

1571561390_12Kinks.jpg.19a0904b62b8b103de47b429639cb336.jpg 

I’ll bet you didn’t know ….

In Waterloo, Nebraska, barbers are prohibited from eating onions between the hours of 7am and 7pm.

Answer = I didn’t and it brought tears to my eyes  when you told me :)

• Haha 1

Answers to last week's quiz:

1.       Rain

2.       Nutwood

3.       Spinks

4.       Germany

5.       Plum

6.       1989

7.       Central Park, New York

8.       Carly Simon

9.       Macbeth

10.   South China Sea

11.   Olaf Palme

12.   Fashion

New quiz tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Quiz time! Now that the recommendations for reducing the spread of Covid 19 have been relaxed, a little, we are planning to catch up on some quality time with the family - something we have missed a great deal these past 460 days. There's a new grandchild to get to know and wedding plans are afoot for an older grandson on return from his military posting in Mali. These occasions usually call for cake-making and dress-making. Therefpre this will be the last Friday night quiz. However, should the restrictions involve staying at home again in the future, you may well have to put up with the inconvenience again. You have astounded me with your knowledge of many things so this time let's see what you know about things nearer to home in this 'Bedlington Special:

1.         What are the six accepted colours of the Bedlington Terrier breed?

2.         There can be no doubt that a Bedlington Terrier exists. What about a Bedlington Whippet – fact or fiction?

3.         When did Bedlington railway station open?

4.         What was the motto of Bedlington Grammar School?

5.         Which of the following buildings is/are Grade II listed?:  Trotter Memorial Drinking Fountain, The Old Vicarage,  Netherton Blue House Farmhouse

6.         The parish of St. Bede, Bedlington, was established in 1876 under the care of which religious order ?

7.         West Bedlington Town Council is a relatively young council. In which year was it created?

8.         Name the two police officer victims of the Sun Inn murders 15 April 1913?

9.         What was the name of the somnambulist who, on St Valentine’s Day 1669, climbed a buttress of St Cuthbert’s
            Church and fell to his death when  woken by a passer by?

10.      Who invented the malleable iron rails for which Bedlington Iron Works became renowned?:  Michael Longridge,      George Stephenson, John Birkenshaw

11.      Name the parents of Sir Daniel Gooch?

12.      East Sleekburn and West Sleekburn are recorded as early as 1183 in the Boldon Book. True or false?

13.      Bomarsund Coal Mine, which opened in 1905, was part of Bedlington Colliery. True or false?

14.      Bedlington was previously part of the County Palatine of Durham, belonging to the Bishop of Durham, When did Bedlington become part of Northumberland?

15.      The first ever recorded use of a Penny Black postage stamp was on a letter sent to Bedlington. To whom and at what address in Bedlington was the letter addressed?

16.      Where in Bedlingtonshire can you see the Peter Burke’s sculpture “Janus” (the god of new beginnings) which symbolizes the changing face of Wansbeck?

17.      Bedlington Golf Club opened in 1972. Who designed the course?

18.      Excluding its tributary, the River Pont, how long is the River Blyth from source to mouth along the river bank?

19.      Which of the following services is NOT the responsibility of West Bedlington Town Council?: Bus Shelters, Children’s play areas, Waste and recycling

20.      Bedlington is twinned with which German town?

21.      According to an old song: Hartley Pans for sailors, Bedlington for ……………?

22.      1836, Michael Longridge opened his own locomotive works at Bedlington. His first locomotive was built for the Stanhope and Tyne Railway. What was this locomotive called?

The French king Louis XIV hated washing so much that he only took three baths in his whole life.

Answers on Thursday next week.

PS. Tried to upload a photo of the statue Janus (question 16) without success.

Edited by Canny lass
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Canny lass said:

16.      Where in Bedlingtonshire can you see the Peter Burke’s sculpture “Janus” (the god of new beginnings) which symbolizes the changing face of Wansbeck?

Janus - somewhere 👀 image.gif.864026a59c6d0e8af0ce3bf0a717a9e1.gifin Bedlingtonshire.

Janus.jpg

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Canny lass said:

Quiz time! Now that the recommendations for reducing the spread of Covid 19 have been relaxed, a little, we are planning to catch up on some quality time with the family - something we have missed a great deal these past 460 days. There's a new grandchild to get to know and wedding plans are afoot for an older grandson on return from his military posting in Mali. These occasions usually call for cake-making and dress-making. Therefpre this will be the last Friday night quiz. However, should the restrictions involve staying at home again in the future, you may well have to put up with the inconvenience again. You have astounded me with your knowledge of many things so this time let's see what you know about things nearer to home in this 'Bedlington Special:

2.         There can be no doubt that a Bedlington Terrier exists. What about a Bedlington Whippet – fact or fiction?

5.         Which of the following buildings is/are Grade II listed?:  Trotter Memorial Drinking Fountain, The Old Vicarage,  Netherton Blue House Farmhouse

6.         The parish of St. Bede, Bedlington, was established in 1876 under the care of which religious order ?

7.         West Bedlington Town Council is a relatively young council. In which year was it created?

8.         Name the two police officer victims of the Sun Inn murders 15 April 1913?

9.         What was the name of the somnambulist who, on St Valentine’s Day 1669, climbed a buttress of St Cuthbert’s
            Church and fell to his death when  woken by a passer by?

10.      Who invented the malleable iron rails for which Bedlington Iron Works became renowned?:  Michael Longridge,      George Stephenson, John Birkenshaw

12.      East Sleekburn and West Sleekburn are recorded as early as 1183 in the Boldon Book. True or false?

13.      Bomarsund Coal Mine, which opened in 1905, was part of Bedlington Colliery. True or false?

14.      Bedlington was previously part of the County Palatine of Durham, belonging to the Bishop of Durham, When did Bedlington become part of Northumberland?

15.      The first ever recorded use of a Penny Black postage stamp was on a letter sent to Bedlington. To whom and at what address in Bedlington was the letter addressed?

18.      Excluding its tributary, the River Pont, how long is the River Blyth from source to mouth along the river bank?

19.      Which of the following services is NOT the responsibility of West Bedlington Town Council?: Bus Shelters, Children’s play areas, Waste and recycling

21.      According to an old song: Hartley Pans for sailors, Bedlington for ……………?

22.      1836, Michael Longridge opened his own locomotive works at Bedlington. His first locomotive was built for the Stanhope and Tyne Railway. What was this locomotive called?

The French king Louis XIV hated washing so much that he only took three baths in his whole life.

Answers on Thursday next week.

WOW!! That’s a cracking good quiz @Canny lass!! 
I’m isolating for 10 days because I was (apparently) contaminated yesterday! 🙁xx

1.         What are the six accepted colours of the Bedlington Terrier breed?  Brown, Grey, silver, blue, tan, liver.

2.         There can be no doubt that a Bedlington Terrier exists. What about a Bedlington Whippet – fact or fiction?

Fact.

3.         When did Bedlington railway station open?                                                                              1855

4.         What was the motto of Bedlington Grammar School?                                             Ever upwards.

5.         Which of the following buildings is/are Grade II listed?:  Trotter Memorial Drinking Fountain, The Old Vicarage,  Netherton Blue House Farmhouse.      The Old Vicarage,  Netherton Blue House Farmhouse.

6.         The parish of St. Bede, Bedlington, was established in 1876 under the care of which religious order ?

The Benedictines

7.         West Bedlington Town Council is a relatively young council. In which year was it created?                2016

8.         Name the two police officer victims of the Sun Inn murders 15 April 1913?

9.         What was the name of the somnambulist who, on St Valentine’s Day 1669, climbed a buttress of St Cuthbert’s
            Church and fell to his death when  woken by a passer by?

10.      Who invented the malleable iron rails for which Bedlington Iron Works became renowned?:  Michael Longridge,      George Stephenson, John Birkenshaw.                                                                                           John Birkenshaw

11.      Name the parents of Sir Daniel Gooch?

12.      East Sleekburn and West Sleekburn are recorded as early as 1183 in the Boldon Book. True or false?   False

13.      Bomarsund Coal Mine, which opened in 1905, was part of Bedlington Colliery. True or false?            True

14.      Bedlington was previously part of the County Palatine of Durham, belonging to the Bishop of Durham, When did Bedlington become part of Northumberland?                        1778

15.      The first ever recorded use of a Penny Black postage stamp was on a letter sent to Bedlington. To whom and at what address in Bedlington was the letter addressed?

16.      Where in Bedlingtonshire can you see the Peter Burke’s sculpture “Janus” (the god of new beginnings) which symbolizes the changing face of Wansbeck?

West from the Furnace bank car park along the black path 100yds into the Free woods.

17.      Bedlington Golf Club opened in 1972. Who designed the course?                     Nick Faldo

18.      Excluding its tributary, the River Pont, how long is the River Blyth from source to mouth along the river bank?                    26 miles.

19.      Which of the following services is NOT the responsibility of West Bedlington Town Council?: Bus Shelters, Children’s play areas, Waste and recycling.                                                             Waste and recycling.

20.      Bedlington is twinned with which German town?                        Schautsmule

21.      According to an old song: Hartley Pans for sailors, Bedlington for ……………?

22.      1836, Michael Longridge opened his own locomotive works at Bedlington. His first locomotive was built for the Stanhope and Tyne Railway. What was this locomotive called?                                 Longridge 1

@Cannylass thanks for providing some great quiz questions in the weekly quiz. Definitely appreciated by the group. 

Perhaps in the darker days of winter you will find time to put some more quizzes together even if not weekly.

On behalf of the group a huge THANK YOU. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, lilbill15 said:

I’m isolating for 10 days because I was (apparently) contaminated yesterday! 🙁xx

@lilbill15you will just have to turn the music up and do some moshing = engage in uninhibited, often frenzied activities, and rock🎸:punk:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

@lilbill15you will just have to turn the music up and do some moshing = engage in uninhibited, often frenzied activities, and rock🎸:punk:

Brilliant @Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)!! You never fail to make me laugh 😂 xx I’m sitting in my garden in my “lounge dress “, listening to Virgin radio, getting up to pull an intruding weed occasionally and waiting for my neighbour to lend me his electric hedge trimmer….. then…. Let the moshing begin 😵💫‼️xx

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, lilbill15 said:

Then it should give you something to do while in isolation and perhaps give even more knowledge about your home-town.

If the time seems to be dragging on your own you can always look up one of the older quizes to help pass the time.

Do take care, Do follow the recommendations and don't forget to wash your hands before and after handling the neighbours hedge-tr!immer. Hope the time flies by without incident.

Edited by Canny lass
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Jammy said:

@Cannylass thanks for providing some great quiz questions in the weekly quiz.

Thank you for that kind thought, Jammy, lilbill, Alan & Vic. I'm pleased it was appreciated. It certainly helped me put a bit of structure into my week during this topsy-turvy time we are living in. I'll certainly see what I can do for the winter months but you may not have to wait that long. The government (if we still have one after Monday) has already started to talk about tightening the restrictions - having just eased them a week ago. Needless to say my OH and myself are making the most of the heatwave and being able to see the family in reality rather than virtually - outdoors of course..

Today I have been shopping for dairy products,fruit and veg - the first time in 460 days! Who would have thought that squeezing an orange or picking through a box of potatoes could be so exciting!!! The down side was that they've managed to completely rearrange the shop in my absence so shopping took ages. Honestly, you can't turn your back for a minute!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Canny lass said:

Then it should give you A) something to do while in isolation and B) perhaps even more knowledge about your home-town.

If the time seems to be dragging on your own you can always look up one of the older quizes to help pass the time.

Do take care, Do follow the recommendations and don't forget to wash your hands before and after handling the neighbours hedge-tr!immer. Hope the time flies by without incident.

And LIKE, and 😂🌈x

P.S. Just discovered the family history section of this group, embarking on some family history investigating 😁😁x

2 minutes ago, Canny lass said:

Thank you for that kind thought, Jammy, lilbill, Alan & Vic. I'm pleased it was appreciated. It certainly helped me put a bit of structure into my week during this topsy-turvy time we are living in. I'll certainly see what I can do for the winter months but you may not have to wait that long. The government (if we still have one after Monday) has already started to talk about tightening the restrictions - having just eased them a week ago. Needless to say my OH and myself are making the most of the heatwave and being able to see the family in reality rather than virtually - outdoors of course..

Today I have been shopping for dairy products,fruit and veg - the first time in 460 days! Who would have thought that squeezing an orange or picking through a box of potatoes could be so exciting!!! The down side was that they've managed to completely rearrange the shop in my absence so shopping took ages. Honestly, you can't turn your back for a minute!

And 🤣xx

Answer =  blue, sandy, liver, blue and tan, sandy and tan, and liver and tan.

Answer = Yes

Answer = 3rd August 1850

Answer = Semper Sursum – To the hills we lift our eyes. Strength and majesty and beauty. Towering upward to the skies. Calling youth to lofty purpose. Bid us ever higher rise.

Music and words by Edna Humphrey (BGS school teacher) in 1946.

633422834_4semper.jpg.b58ad30ffd51a67ad497a17555e31cd5.jpg

5.         Which of the following buildings is/are Grade II listed?:  Trotter Memorial Drinking Fountain, The Old Vicarage,  Netherton Blue House Farmhouse

Answer = Trotter Memorial Fountain

Answer = Catholicism

Answer = April 2009

Answer = PC George Mussell & Sergeant Barton

Church and fell to his death when  woken by a passer by?

Answer = Watson

10.      Who invented the malleable iron rails for which Bedlington Iron Works became renowned?:  Michael Longridge,      George Stephenson, John Birkenshaw

Answer = John Birkinshaw

Answer = Mr & Mrs Gooch = John & Anna

Answer = I haven’t read it but I will go for TRUE.

Answer = True = F Pit

Answer = 1844 on summer’s efternoon the Bishop

tyuk the bus to Bamburugh and handed Bedlington ower to Northumberland.

Answer = Mr Blenkinsop. Ironworks???????????????

Answer = Dene park, Free Woods.

Answer = Frank Penninck. Myself and two friends, once teed off very early one morning – so early it was still dark. We only found two of three balls we teed off with.

Answer = 26.8 miles

19.      Which of the following services is NOT the responsibility of West Bedlington Town Council?: Bus Shelters, Children’s play areas, Waste and recycling

Answer = Waste & recycling

Answer = Shalksmuhle.

21.      According to an old song: Hartley Pans for sailors, Bedlington for ……………?

Answer = Nailers

Answer = Michael Longbridge

Answer = I didn’t.

23. Did you know that Canny lass has filled me with a mine of info. To ensure the info can be retrieved I am working on the Eggy Advanced Search Engine = EASE = (Easy) = I know where it is just can’t find it in my memory any more.  

• Like 2

Answers to last week's 'Bedlington Special' quiz:

1.       Liver, Blue & Tan, Liver & Tan, Blue, Sandy, Sandy & Tan

2.       Fact:  A Bedlington Terrier cross whippet (a lurcher)

3.       3 August 1850

4.       Semper Sursum

5.       All of them

6.       The Benedictines

7.       April 2009

8.       PC George Mussell and Sgt Andrew Barton.

9.       Cuthbert Watson

10.   John Birkenshaw

11.   John Gooch and Anna Longridge

12.   True

13.   True

14.   1844

15.   Engineer, Mr Blenkinsop, Bedlington Iron Works

16.   Beside the path which traverses the Dene from Furnace Bridge up to Spring Park in Bedlington.

17.   Frank Pennink

18.   27.9 miles

19.   C) Waste and recycling (are the responsibility of Northumberland County Council).

20.   Schalksmühle

21.   Nailers

22.   Michael Longridge

Thank you for putting up with me! It's been an interesting experience and I've learned a lot about you in the process. For instance, I now know that I'm hobb-nobbing with people who seem to know a lot about gansters, whores, drugs, gambling, dictators and just about every alcoholic beverage known to mankind but on the other hand, are also pretty  knowledgeable about things like: geography, history, languages (including Japanese!), religion, cooking, world cultures, Easter, Christmas and sport. I take my iridescent purple hat off to you all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Canny lass said:

Thank you for putting up with me! It's been an interesting experience and I've learned a lot about you in the process. For instance, I now know that I'm hobb-nobbing with people who seem to know a lot about gansters, whores, drugs, gambling, dictators and just about every alcoholic beverage known to mankind but on the other hand, are also pretty  knowledgeable about things like: geography, history, languages (including Japanese!), religion, cooking, world cultures, Easter, Christmas and sport. I take my iridescent purple hat off to you all.

I used to rely on encyclopedias but now it's Google:thumbsup:.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Canny lass said:

3.       3 August 1850

4.       Semper Sursum

5.       All of them

7.       April 2009

9.       Cuthbert Watson

10.   John Birkenshaw

12.   True

13.   True

14.   1844

16.   Beside the path which traverses the Dene from Furnace Bridge up to Spring Park in Bedlington.

17.   Frank Pennink

18.   27.9 miles

19.   C) Waste and recycling (are the responsibility of Northumberland County Council).

20.   Schalksmühle

21.   Nailers

22.   Michael Longridge

Hey @Canny lass! I’d LERVE to see a photo of the in your iridescent purple hat!? Does Frank Zappa feature anywhere? xx

2 hours ago, Canny lass said:

18.   27.9 miles

So true CL about learning about others, I feel I know the other regulars quite well now. I like to go through the questions I know the answers too, then I Google what's left, sometimes a know a lot of the answers but then most of the time I have to learn a lot! Having spent 25 years in gaol I met my share gangsters etc (and most of them were inmates!)

Not being from Bedlington I thought I'd better leave this one to the experts!

Then sometimes I'm left guessing, like #18 answer, was the 1.1 mile difference because the tide out when Eggy measured it? 

Thank's again. Vic

30 minutes ago, Vic Patterson said:

Then sometimes I'm left guessing, like #18 answer, was the 1.1 mile difference because the tide out when Eggy measured it? 

I had to plot a route on Google maps, going from town to town, to get the distance of 26.8 miles. :D.

I thought the site that gives info on all the bridges built on all the Northumberland rivers would have given me the distance - but it didn't :angry:

https://www.bridgesonthetyne.co.uk/intro6.html

• Like 1

On 19/06/2021 at 12:54, Canny lass said:

Then it should give you something to do while in isolation and perhaps give even more knowledge about your home-town.

Hedge trimmers returned unused, terrified of chopping off any necessary extremities 😬😱👆🏻!!!, machines are NOT my forte 😁🌈xxx

8 hours ago, Canny lass said:

3.       3 August 1850

4.       Semper Sursum

5.       All of them

7.       April 2009

9.       Cuthbert Watson

10.   John Birkenshaw

12.   True

13.   True

14.   1844

17.   Frank Pennink

18.   27.9 miles

20.   Schalksmühle

21.   Nailers

22.   Michael Longridge

@Canny lass  including Kalimotxo and Cloud Eggs?? I wouldn’t be at all surprised- you’re as smart as @Alan Edgar (Eggy1948). I naively thought you two must be married early on… what a dynamic partnership that would be! Cronus and Rhea? Reincarnation? 😁🌈xxx

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now