Friday night is quiz night ('cos I know you've got nothing better to do just now)

Canny lass

Er!!,Alan,a was referring ti Abdul...!

A didn't realise a was on the wrang page! ..guess a lost aal me points wat a hevnt won yit...plus me street cred!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HIGH PIT WILMA said:

Er!!,Alan,a was referring ti Abdul...!

A didn't realise a was on the wrang page! ..guess a lost aal me points wat a hevnt won yit...plus me street cred!!

There ye gan - a've given ye a point.:thumbsup:

Answers to last week's quiz:

1.       Blue

2.       The Mayor of Casterbridge

3.       Transpiration

4.       Doctor Hook

5.       Mike

6.       True

7.       France

8.       Coast Guard Station

9.       20

10.   The Hummingbird

11.   They are  stoned to death

12.   King Arthur

New quiz tomorrow!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here it is!

1.         What do we call a female donkey?

2.         What is the national airline of the Netherlands?  

3.         What kind of clothing is a ‘dolly varden’?

4.         Between 1830 and 1850, 20 000 people died of Cholera in London. How is Cholera spread?

5.         How high is Mount Everest?

6.         WW2 seems to have changed course with the battle for a small atoll in the Pacific Ocean. What is the name of the atoll?

7.         Why is a standard wine-bottle 750 mls?

8.         On what did John D. Rockefeller earn his wealth?

9.         Which number did David Beckham have on his shirt when he played for Manchester United?

10.      Who did Ingemar Johansson beat to become world champion and where did the fight take place?

11.      What does the term ‘wifi’ stand for?

12.      Who was the 13th century founder and first emperor of the Mogul Empire?

I’ll bet you didn’t know ….

Scorpions are not immune to their own poison.

Answers on Thursday!

1.         Jenny

2.         KLM

3.         Dresses

4.         Contamination with human waste

5.         8848 ft

6.         Midway

7.         Convenient transportation (1/5 gallon)

8.        Oil

9.        10 then 7

10.       Floyd Patterson, NY Yankee Stadium

11.       Wireless Fidelity

12.       Babur,

• Like 1

1.         What do we call a female donkey?                                                                                                                             A Jenny

2.         What is the national airline of the Netherlands?                                                                                                       KLM

3.         What kind of clothing is a ‘dolly varden’?                                                                                                                    A Hat

4.         Between 1830 and 1850, 20 000 people died of Cholera in London. How is Cholera spread?                         Contaminated Water

5.         How high is Mount Everest?                                                                                                                                           29,305 feet                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 (increases every year)

6.         WW2 seems to have changed course with the battle for a small atoll in the Pacific Ocean. What is the name of the atoll?  Midway

7.         Why is a standard wine-bottle 750 mls?                                                                                                          Something to do with a gallon?

8.         On what did John D. Rockefeller earn his wealth?                                                                                                     Stock Market

9.         Which number did David Beckham have on his shirt when he played for Manchester United?                          No. 7  

10.      Who did Ingemar Johansson beat to become world champion and where did the fight take place?                Floyd Patterson and ????

11.      What does the term ‘wifi’ stand for?                                                                                                                               Wireless fidelity

12.      Who was the 13th century founder and first emperor of the Mogul Empire?                                                           Mogul

• Like 1

1.         What do we call a female donkey?

Answer = HinnyinnyH

2.         What is the national airline of the Netherlands? 

Answer = KLM

3.         What kind of clothing is a ‘dolly varden’?

Answer =1273961659_3dolly.jpg.8aea3116c3bfaea1de0f18231bfe4cde.jpg

4.         Between 1830 and 1850, 20 000 people died of Cholera in London. How is Cholera spread?

Answer =2102608858_4poop.jpg.5d898f299f0a8073881923080bb64498.jpg

5.         How high is Mount Everest?

Answer = 348,348 inches

6.         WW2 seems to have changed course with the battle for a small atoll in the Pacific Ocean. What is the name of the atoll?

Answer = 1433878315_6midway.png.c4402eec297e1e2b3aadc7b2af357540.png

7.         Why is a standard wine-bottle 750 mls?

Answer = That’s one to be discussed in a pub whilst consuming alcohol and by the time you come up with an answer you won’t be able to remember the answer.

8.         On what did John D. Rockefeller earn his wealth?

Answer =619662079_8oil.jpg.187300955e7e912a08d4ceed4ad769d9.jpg

9.         Which number did David Beckham have on his shirt when he played for Manchester United?

Answer =1445974148_9len.jpg.c654958a4e2a0ec143dad34fc72fe7f5.jpg

10.      Who did Ingemar Johansson beat to become world champion and where did the fight take place?

Answer =1069186667_10aIngemar_Johansson_and_Floyd_Pattersson_1959.JPG.89c5a7a36d214c636af52a0eeec52db1.JPG

11.      What does the term ‘wifi’ stand for?

Answer = Wireless Fidelity

12.      Who was the 13th century founder and first emperor of the Mogul Empire?

Answer = Google says 16th century = Babur

Scorpions are not immune to their own poison.

Answer = Google says - Immune to their own poison👌 but not immune to other scorpions poison😱

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

Answers to last week's quiz

1.        Jennet

2.       KLM

3.       A large hat

4.       Dirty water

5.       8 848 metres

6.       Midway

7.       At the time when glass bottles were made by glass blowers. ... their pulmonary strength permitted only the creation of bottles up to 650- 750 ml size. The biggest one, the 750 ml bottle, became the standard bottle.

8.       Oil

9.       7

10.   Floyd Patterson at the Yankee Stadium, New York.

11.   Wireless Fidelity

12.   Genghis Khan

Re: Everest - What's a few inches between friends! Give yourselves a point whatever you answered.

Re: Scorpions - There seem to be conflicting theories on the Internet. I'll get a pigeon away tomorrow for more reliable information

New quiz tomorrow.

• Thanks 1

Here we are again, happy as can be

All good pals and jolly good company (on Fridays with corona regulations)

1.         What is the name of the vertical bar dividing the panes in a window called?

2.         Which rock group was called The Detours and The High Numbers, prior to 1964?

3.         What name is commonly given to the Hippocampus?

4.         Which letter of the Greek alphabet is equivalent to ‘G’?

5.         In what year did the IRA bomb a hotel in Brighton during the Conservative Party Conference?

6.         Bluto is the arch rival of who?

7.         Which writer was imprisoned as a result of his relationship with Lord Alfred Douglas?

8.         In which sport has Ard Schenk been a world champion and record holder?

9.         Who played the headmaster in Carry on Teacher?

10.      How many cubic centimetres are there in a cubic metre?

11.      From which island did Bonnie Prince Charlie row a boat to the Isle of Skye?

12.      Which of Mr Pickwick’s friends married Arabella Allen ?

The Silverstone racing circuit is built on abandoned RAF runways.

Answers next Thursday!

1.         What is the name of the vertical bar dividing the panes in a window called?

Answer =1239209818_1muntin.jpg.80f2a40c0e707bf74571c0ac7ac837e9.jpg

2.         Which rock group was called The Detours and The High Numbers, prior to 1964?

Answer =1758398032_2who.jpg.e644bcfffd5f3488f961e7581d78c942.jpg

3.         What name is commonly given to the Hippocampus?

Answer =2010367766_3brain.jpg.5b56b8948ea11417eb008d8ab876032d.jpg

4.         Which letter of the Greek alphabet is equivalent to ‘G’?

Answer = Gamma

5.         In what year did the IRA bomb a hotel in Brighton during the Conservative Party Conference?

Answer = 1984

6.         Bluto is the arch rival of who?

Answer =1590893877_6popeye.jpg.bd33df729fdbf8e3a9415dc2a6cbe3ea.jpg

7.         Which writer was imprisoned as a result of his relationship with Lord Alfred Douglas?

Answer = ‘from the depths’ of Westridge = Oscar Wilde31985003_7westridge.jpg.ddb1043fd23a38e8fb586527456c378b.jpg

8.         In which sport has Ard Schenk been a world champion and record holder?

Answer =1987296736_8ard.jpg.a5743a3def037db6cf810dc86d4b3989.jpg

9.         Who played the headmaster in Carry on Teacher?

Answer = Ted Ray1732288608_9tedray.jpg.743b87cc80f9c82e5cd0e1c6489a23e9.jpg

10.      How many cubic centimetres are there in a cubic metre?

Answer = 100 x 100 x 100 = 1,000,000

11.      From which island did Bonnie Prince Charlie row a boat to the Isle of Skye?

Answer =498466782_11uist.jpg.472fc889bbdcb5f740dd49d658ce90ff.jpg

12.      Which of Mr Pickwick’s friends married Arabella Allen ?

Answer = Nathaniel Winkle

Answer = I did:thumbsup:

• Like 1

1.         What is the name of the vertical bar dividing the panes in a window called? Muntin bar

2.         Which rock group was called The Detours and The High Numbers, prior to 1964? The Who

3.         What name is commonly given to the Hippocampus? Seahorse

4.         Which letter of the Greek alphabet is equivalent to ‘G’? Γ gamma

5.         In what year did the IRA bomb a hotel in Brighton during the conservative Party Conference? 1984

6.         Bluto is the arch rival of who? Popeye the sailor man

7.         Which writer was imprisoned as a result of his relationship with Lord Alfred Douglas? Wilde

8.         In which sport has Ard Schenk been a world champion and record holder? Speed skating

9.         Who played the headmaster in Carry on Teacher? Ted Ray

10.      How many cubic centimetres are there in a cubic metre? 1,000,000

11.      From which island did Bonnie Prince Charlie row a boat to the Isle of Skye? South Uist

12.      Which of Mr Pickwick’s friends married Arabella Allen ? Nathaniel Winkle

I’ll bet you didn’t know ….Finally, I did know that.  But I only knew one quiz answer!

1.       Mullion

2.       The Who

3.       Seahorse

4.       Gamma

5.       1984

6.       Popeye

7.       Oscar Wilde

8.       Speed skating

9.       Ted Ray

10.   One million

11.   Benbecula - An island between the Uists
“During his voyage, the  Prince's boat was caught in a storm, and he was forced to land on Benbecula. Despite mainly being 
Presbyterian, Flora and the population of Benbecula were sympathetic to the Jacobite cause, and the Prince and his companions received hospitable treatment. Nevertheless, the Prince was a fugitive with a price on his head  and his companions therefore sought out Flora. She disguised him as an Irish spinning maid, Betty Burke, and by this means smuggled him off the island, on 27 June, and took him "over the sea to Skye". Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benbecula

12.   Nathaniel Winkle

New quiz tomorrow.

• Thanks 1

This week's quiz:

1.         In the book of Genesis, which land is said to lie to the east of Eden?

2.         Marble is formed by the metamorphosis of which rock?

3.         What would you do in a Cambio?

4.         Which European country produces Tokay?

5.         Which football club play at Gresty Road and are nicknamed the Railwaymen?

6.         How is deoxyribonucleic acid better known?

7.         Tverskaya is the name of one of Moscow’s most important streets. What was it called prior to 1990?

8.         That’s one small step for man. One giant leap for mankind, said Neil Armstrong. Which of his feet, right or left, made that first step on the moon?

9.         What is a killick?

10.      What do fennel leaves taste of?

11.      What does the name Spam stand for?

12.      Who lived at 221b Baker Street?

Author Raymond Chandler’s wife did the housework in the nude.

Note: Answers on WEDNESDAY next week. (being as Thursday is the equivalent of Christmas day here). Friday’s quiz - a Christmas special – will also be posted on WEDNESDAY instead of Christmas day.

1.         In the book of Genesis, which land is said to lie to the east of Eden?                                                Palestine 

2.         Marble is formed by the metamorphosis of which rock?                                                                     Limestone

3.         What would you do in a Cambio?                                                                                                             Relieve ones self 

4.         Which European country produces Tokay?                                                                                             Hungary

5.         Which football club play at Gresty Road and are nicknamed the Railwaymen?                                Crewe Alaxandra

6.         How is deoxyribonucleic acid better known?                                                                                            DNA

7.         Tverskaya is the name of one of Moscow’s most important streets. What was it called prior to 1990?   Lenin Way

8.         That’s one small step for man. One giant leap for mankind, said Neil Armstrong. Which of his feet, right or left, made that first step on the moon?                                                                                                                                        Neither individually, both together.

9.         What is a killick?                                                                                                                                            An anchor

10.      What do fennel leaves taste of?                                                                                                                   Licorice 

11.      What does the name Spam stand for?                                                                                                        Special pressed ham

12.      Who lived at 221b Baker Street?                                                                                                                   Sherlock Holmes

• Like 1

1.         Land of Nod

2.         Limestone

3.         Exchange currency

4.         Hungary

5.         Crewe Alexandra

6.         DNA

7.         Gorky Street

8.         Left foot

9.         Anchor.

10.       Liquorice

11.        Special Processed American Meat. (spiced ham)

12.        Sherlock Holmes

1.         In the book of Genesis, which land is said to lie to the east of Eden?

Answer = Land of Nod

2.         Marble is formed by the metamorphosis of which rock?

Answer = Limestone

3.         What would you do in a Cambio?

Answer =12567272_3cambio.jpg.e3812c2aa3ea3d886f3de2b4174b8ec2.jpg

4.         Which European country produces Tokay?

Answer = Hungary

5.         Which football club play at Gresty Road and are nicknamed the Railwaymen?

Answer =1034551088_5crewe.png.363f8e169de954c615da6f176d38000d.png

6.         How is deoxyribonucleic acid better known?

Answer = DNA

7.         Tverskaya is the name of one of Moscow’s most important streets. What was it called prior to 1990?

Answer = Gorky Street

8.         That’s one small step for man. One giant leap for mankind, said Neil Armstrong. Which of his feet, right or left, made that first step on the moon?

Answer = Left

9.         What is a killick?

Answer = anchor

10.      What do fennel leaves taste of?

Answer =1927441610_10liquorice.jpg.59209b879f744ef973df6baf0abfb531.jpg

11.      What does the name Spam stand for?

Answer = Specially Produced American Meat

12.      Who lived at 221b Baker Street?

Answer =780870065_12sherlock.jpg.92f387c9a413c9d8407ab04b61d5e8ef.jpg

Author Raymond Chandler’s wife did the housework in the nude.

Answer = I didn’t -  but as I dream of that lady cleaning The High Window with her feather duster I imagine the event would trigger The Long Goodbye before the final Farewell My Lady as I enjoy The Big Sleep that will follow.

• Haha 2

1.       Nod

2.       Limestone

3.       Change money

4.       Hungary

5.       Crewe Alexandra

6.       DNA

7.       Gorky Street

8.       Left

9.       A stone anchor

10.   Aniseed

11.   Shoulder Pork And Ham

12.   Sherlock Holmes

New quiz in a few minutes.

Edited by Canny lass

Christmas Special!

1.     Which Christmas song is the best-selling ever?

2.     In English-speaking countries we say ”Merry Christmas”.  To which European language has Google translated Merry Christmas here?
i) Gleðileg jól
ii) Buon Natale
iii) Feliz Navidad
iv) Glædelig jul
 v) Frohe Weihnachten

3.     The modern Santa Clause, with a red outfit and a big white beard, is originally based on St Nicholas, an archbishop from Myra.  In which modern day country was he born?

4.     During the 12 days of Christmas, how many ‘legs’ did “my true-love give to me”?

5.     Which one of Santa’s reindeer shares a name with a famous symbol of Valentine ’s Day?

6.     In Charles Dickens’ novel “A Christmas Carol” what was the first name of Mr. Scrooge?

7.     In The Muppet’s Christmas Carol who played Mr. Scrooge?

8.     According to the folklore of Austria (and some other countries) what horned figure punishes naughty children at Christmastime?

9.     What well-known Christmas song was the first to be broadcast from space in 1965?

10. Which holiday movie includes a cameo by Donald Trump

11. Whose eyes are “all aglow” in The Christmas Song?

12. Who said “One can never have enough socks. Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn’t get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”

13. Why did Scotland ban Christmas?

14. Which world leader celebrates his birthday on Christmas day?

15. Which country sends a tree every year to be erected in Trafalgar Square?

16.  Which royal monarch made the first Christmas broadcast?

17.  “Twas the Night Before Christmas” , Clement Clarke Moore’s classic poem,was originally published under what name?

18. What are the two most popular words used on Christmas gift tags?

19.  We all know Rudolph, the red-nosed reindeer, but what are the other eight called?

20. Who resurrected Frosty in Frosty the Snowman?

Golf balls were originally made of leather stuffed with feathers.

Answers will be posted on WEDNESDAY 30 December - together with a New Year Special (to keep you out of mischief).

Edited by Canny lass

1.     White Christmas

2.   i) Iceland. ii)  Italy. iii)  Spain. iv)  Denmark.  v)  Germany.

3.     Turkey.

4.     808, (178 actual legs)

5.      Cupid

6.     Ebenezer

7.     Michael Caine

8.     Krampus

9.     Jingle Bells

10.   Home alone

11.   Tiny Tots

12.   Albus Dumbledore.

13.  Scottish Reformation, (split from Catholic Church.)

14.  Justin Trudeau

15.   Norway

16.   George V

17.  Clement Clarke Moore

18.   Christmas, Merry.

19.   Reindeer, named Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner and Blitzen

20.  Professor Hinkle

• Like 1

Christmas Special!

1.     Which Christmas song is the best-selling ever?

Answer = White Christmas

2.     In English-speaking countries we say ”Merry Christmas”.  To which European language has Google translated Merry Christmas here?
A) Gleðileg jól - Icelandic
B) Buon Natale - Italy
C) Feliz Navidad - Spanish
D) Glædelig jul – High Pit Wilma-ish (or Danish)
E) Frohe Weihnachten -  German

3.     The modern Santa Clause, with a red outfit and a big white beard, is originally based on St Nicholas, an archbishop from Myra.  In which modern day country was he born?

Answer =  1907769800_3turkey.jpg.953314cd3276a26675c180d712e624b1.jpg

4.     During the 12 days of Christmas, how many ‘legs’ did “my true-love give to me”?

Answer = 9028

Day 1 = 2 legs

Day 2 = (2 x 2 legs) + 2 = 6 legs

Day 3 = (3 x 2 legs) + 4 + 2 = 12 legs

Day 4 = (4 x 2 legs) + 6 + 4 + 2 = 20 legs

Day 5 = 0 legs + 8 + 6 + 4 + 2 = 20 legs

Day 6 = (6 x 2 legs) + 0 + 8 + 6 + 4 + 2 = 32 legs

Day 7 = (7 x 2 legs) 12 + 0 + 8 + 6 + 4 + 2 = 46 legs

Day 8 = (8 x 2 legs on the milkmaid) + (8 x 3 legs on the stool) + (8 x 4 legs on the cow)

+ 14 + 12 + 0 + 8 + 6 + 4 + 2 = 118 legs

Day 9 = (9 x 2) + 72 + 14 + 12 + 0 + 8 + 6 + 4 + 2 = 136 legs

Day 10 = (10 x 2) + 18 + 72 + 14 + 12 + 0 + 8 + 6 + 4 + 2 = 156 legs

Day 11 = (11 x 2) + 20 + 18 + 72 + 14 + 12 + 0 + 8 + 6 + 4 + 2 = 178 legs

Day 12 = (12 x 2) + 22 + 20 + 18 + 72 + 14 + 12 + 0 + 8 + 6 + 4 + 2 = 202 legs

= (2x12)+(6x11)+(12x10 )+(20 x9)+(20 x 8 )+(32x7)+(46x6)+(118x5)+(136x4)+(156x3)+(178x2) + 202 = 9028

5.     Which one of Santa’s reindeer shares a name with a famous symbol of Valentine ’s Day?

Answer =1324061556_5cupid.jpg.00d6bad01df05687d7f653930312017f.jpg

6.     In Charles Dickens’ novel “A Christmas Carol” what was the first name of Mr. Scrooge?

Answer = Ebenezer

7.     In The Muppet’s Christmas Carol who played Mr. Scrooge?

Answer = Not a lot of people know that

8.     According to the folklore of Austria (and some other countries) what horned figure punishes naughty children at Christmastime?

Answer = Crampus

9.     What well-known Christmas song was the first to be broadcast from space in 1965?

Answer =  1541316691_9jingle.jpg.2b3ef0f7f4caf1525fe38c65845ef778.jpg

10. Which holiday movie includes a cameo by Donald Trump

Answer =2058334584_10trump.jpg.65567704b32b80248a75189392b71f3c.jpg

11. Whose eyes are “all aglow” in The Christmas Song?

Answer =  453298458_11tots.jpg.8c485273b259f4cb660b1a8e6bfb6917.jpg

12. Who said “One can never have enough socks. Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn’t get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”

Answer = 411976949_12albus.jpg.2482a107da728d4a0f08e965c9b0f06d.jpg

13. Why did Scotland ban Christmas?

Answer = Catholicism

14. Which world leader celebrates his birthday on Christmas day?

Answer = Justin Trudeau

15.? Which country sends a tree every year to be erected in Trafalgar Square?

Answer = Norway

16.  Which royal monarch made the first Christmas broadcast?

Answer =497879288_16GeoV.jpg.f277f474b52259baf5208a69e28f0271.jpg

17.  “Twas the Night Before Christmas” , Clement Clarke Moore’s classic poem,was originally published under what name?

Answer = Henry Livingston Jr

18. What are the two most popular words used on Christmas gift tags?

Answer = To & From

19.  We all know Rudolph, the red-nosed reindeer, but what are the other eight called?

Answer = Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner and Blitzen

20. Who resurrected Frosty in Frosty the Snowman?

Answer = Professor Hinkle

Golf balls were originally made of leather stuffed with feathers.

Answer = I did  I still have a few 🏌️‍♂️

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)
  • Like 1

On 24/12/2020 at 11:33, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

Day 8 = (8 x 2 legs on the milkmaid) + (8 x 3 legs on the stool) + (8 x 4 legs on the cow)

I'm afraid I would be needing proof about that. Are you quite sure it wasn't one of these:

4 legged stool.jpg

...or even one of these?

1 legged stool.jpg

Edited by Canny lass
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Canny lass said:

I'm afraid I would be needing proof about that.

I think I was wearing a leather outfit, with mask, the last time I sat on one of those☺️☺️

1leggedstool.jpg.6a9912437d1422380bc139303fa4a201.jpg

This one proves it ( I have ignored the ones on the www with 4☺️☺️)

twelve-days-of-christmas-items-and-cost.jpg.d39ff8965e85ba7115a5c5c69cbdd472.jpg

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now