Friday night is quiz night ('cos I know you've got nothing better to do just now)

Canny lass

Answers to last wek's quiz:

1.       Roderic (Rod) Evans

2.       Judy Garland

3.       Brighton and Hove Albion

4.       Social Democratic Party (SDP)

5.       Marsupial

6.       Tegucigalpa

7.       The Potteries

8.       Barnes Wallis

9.       1.5 miles

10.   Lloyd George

11.   Barium

12.   Full of woe

You lot are getting too good at this! Going to make them more difficult!

• Like 1

This week's quiz:

1.         What does a cricket umpire signal by raising one arm horizontally?

2.         Which writer was imprisoned because of his relationship with Lord Alfred Douglas?

3.         A strobilus is another name for what?

4.         What was the occupation during the French revolution of a tricoteuse?

5.         When referring to radio waves what do the initials AM stand for?

6.         Which island separates the two principal parts of Niagara Falls?

7.         In which film did Bob Hoskins play Eddie Valiant?

8.         Who won the women’s Olympic 100 metres in 1992?

9.         Which terrier is the largest of the terrier breeds?

10.      In mythology what happened if you drank the water of the River Lethe?

11.      For every seven white keys on a piano how many black keys are there?

12.      The deficiency of which vitamin can cause rickets? 

I’ll bet you didn’t know ….

Queen Christina of Sweden had a 10 cm long cannon which she used to fire cannonballs at flies!

Answers on Thursday.

1.         What does a cricket umpire signal by raising one arm horizontally? No ball

2.         Which writer was imprisoned because of his relationship with Lord Alfred Douglas? Oscar Wilde

3.         A strobilus is another name for what? Pine cone

4.         What was the occupation during the French revolution of a tricoteuse? Execution knitter

5.         When referring to radio waves what do the initials AM stand for? Amplitude Modulation

6.         Which island separates the two principal parts of Niagara Falls? Goat island

7.         In which film did Bob Hoskins play Eddie Valiant? Who censored Rodger rabbit.

8.         Who won the women’s Olympic 100 metres in 1992? Gail Devers

9.         Which terrier is the largest of the terrier breeds? Airedale.

10.      In mythology what happened if you drank the water of the River Lethe? Hmm,I forgot that one!

11.      For every seven white keys on a piano how many black keys are there? 5

12.      The deficiency of which vitamin can cause rickets? D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vic Patterson said:

1.         What does a cricket umpire signal by raising one arm horizontally?                                 No ball

2.         Which writer was imprisoned because of his relationship with Lord Alfred Douglas?

3.         A strobilus is another name for what?

4.         What was the occupation during the French revolution of a tricoteuse?                          Guillotine sharpener 

5.         When referring to radio waves what do the initials AM stand for?                                     Amplitude Modulation

6.         Which island separates the two principal parts of Niagara Falls?                                       Ram Island 

7.         In which film did Bob Hoskins play Eddie Valiant?

8.         Who won the women’s Olympic 100 metres in 1992?                                                            Gail Devers

9.         Which terrier is the largest of the terrier breeds?                                                                      Airedale

10.      In mythology what happened if you drank the water of the River Lethe?

11.      For every seven white keys on a piano how many black keys are there?                                  5

12.      The deficiency of which vitamin can cause rickets?                                            Vitamin D(needed for the body to absorb calcium)

• Like 1

1.         What does a cricket umpire signal by raising one arm horizontally?

Answer = No Ball

1089665511_1NoBall.png.b6f07f91bfb65eedc6f9db985055cdfa.png

2.         Which writer was imprisoned because of his relationship with Lord Alfred Douglas?

Answer = Oscar Wilde

3.         A strobilus is another name for what?

Answer = Cone

A strobilus (plural: strobili) is a structure present on many land plant species consisting of sporangia-bearing structures densely aggregated along a stem. Strobili are often called cones, but some botanists restrict the use of the term cone to the woody seedstrobili of conifers.

1202550421_3strobilus.jpg.e2b813e605e870e23b200340cdefdf21.jpg

4.         What was the occupation during the French revolution of a tricoteuse?

Answer = Knitter

133602831_4knitting.jpg.befbc5a14c322e7c42e6c5a7145d71d2.jpg

5.         When referring to radio waves what do the initials AM stand for?

Answer = Amplitude Modulation  - that is only transmitted between 00:00 and 12:00 :D:D:D:D

6.         Which island separates the two principal parts of Niagara Falls?

Answer = Goat Island

There are eight goats total on the island, seven adults and one baby.:)

2140821656_6goat.jpg.5eed9f51fe933d1c842bd7b6ab9b160f.jpg

7.         In which film did Bob Hoskins play Eddie Valiant?

Answer = Who Framed Roger Rabbit

8.         Who won the women’s Olympic 100 metres in 1992?

Answer = Gail Devers – by a finger nail :)

800242002_8Gail.jpg.779351ca4d095411f1320beecf4e57cd.jpg

9.         Which terrier is the largest of the terrier breeds?

Answer = Gateway Terrier :)

482791381_9Terrier.thumb.jpg.46d18a845338ccd97faea38cb0576c12.jpg

10.      In mythology what happened if you drank the water of the River Lethe?

Answer = Can’t remember what I did yesterday = that’s normal :o

11.      For every seven white keys on a piano how many black keys are there?

Answer = 5 =  we should start a campaign to get more black keys + some other colours :)

1769685090_11keys.png.1941e9645dd656047a3399ecebd66daf.png

12.      The deficiency of which vitamin can cause rickets?

Answer = D = stops me bones from collapsing :thumbsup:

Queen Christina of Sweden had a 10 cm long cannon which she used to fire cannonballs at flies!

Answer = I didn’t.

I wonder if she used a Cotton Wool Bud as a sponge instead of a long staff or rammer with a piece of fleece sheep or lambskin wound about its end for scouring the cannon when discharged. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Answers to last week's quiz:

1.       No ball

2.       Oscar Wilde

3.       A pine cone

4.       Knitting

5.       Amplitude modulation

6.       Goat island

7.       Who Framed Roger Rabbit

8.       Gail Devers

9.       Airedale terrier

10.   You forgot

11.   Five

12.   Vitamin D

I thought I'd made it really difficult this week. Clearly I underestimated the amount of trivia you people already know. I must try harder tomorrow!

On 12/09/2020 at 20:24, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

Answer = I didn’t.

Neither did I!

On 12/09/2020 at 20:24, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

I wonder if she used a Cotton Wool Bud as a sponge instead of a long staff or rammer with a piece of fleece sheep or lambskin wound about its end for scouring the cannon when discharged

I didn't know the woman personally, so I'm not in a position to say. When I refer to myself as a "woman of a certain age" I don't mean born in the 17th century. 

• Like 1

Here it is! A bit late but we've had real summer weather today so I finished off the gardening chores before it gets dark.

1.         Nairobi is the capital of which African country?

2.         Which planet is nearest the sun?

3.         What name, derived from the Latin for ‘old man’, is sometimes given to the legislative assembly of a country?

4.         Which wine is flavoured with pine resin?

5.         Which organ is inflamed when you are suffering from Nephritis?

6.         Which swimmer won seven gold medals at the 1972 Olympic Games?

7.         Who was the last prisoner to be held at the Tower of London?

8.         Which bottle size is equivalent to 12 standard bottles?

9.         Which West End and Broadway musical was adapted from T.S. Elliott’s Old Possum Poems?

10.      How many points win a game of Cribbage?

11.      What name is given to an eagle’s home?

12.      What do we call the chemical process by which a substance combines with oxygen to produce heat and light? 

William Wordsworth was, at one time, thought to be a French spy and was followed for a whole month by a detective.

Answers on Thursday.

• Thanks 1

1.         Nairobi is the capital of which African country?                                                                                                                 Kenya

2.         Which planet is nearest the sun?                                                                                                                                           Mercury

3.         What name, derived from the Latin for ‘old man’, is sometimes given to the legislative assembly of a country?   Senet

4.         Which wine is flavoured with pine resin?

5.         Which organ is inflamed when you are suffering from Nephritis?                                                                                     Kidney(s)

6.         Which swimmer won seven gold medals at the 1972 Olympic Games?                                                                           Marc Spitz

7.         Who was the last prisoner to be held at the Tower of London?

8.         Which bottle size is equivalent to 12 standard bottles?                                                                                                       Magnum

9.         Which West End and Broadway musical was adapted from T.S. Elliott’s Old Possum Poems?                                     Cats

10.      How many points win a game of Cribbage?                                                                                                                            21 points

11.      What name is given to an eagle’s home?                                                                                                                                Eyrie (Eagles nest)

12.      What do we call the chemical process by which a substance combines with oxygen to produce heat and light?     Combustion

1.         Nairobi is the capital of which African country?

Answer = Kenya

2.         Which planet is nearest the sun?

Answer = Mercury

3.         What name, derived from the Latin for ‘old man’, is sometimes given to the legislative assembly of a country?

Answer = Senate

4.         Which wine is flavoured with pine resin?

Answer = Retsina

Europe's Oldest Living Resident Is This Pine Tree in Greece  - A Bosnian pine tree found in a forest in Greece has been alive for more than a millennium, the BBC reports. A team of researchers from Stockholm University, the University of Mainz in Germany, and the University of Arizona found the 1075-year-old Pinus heldreichii in the Pindos mountains in northern Greece.

982752856_4tree.jpg.77008c8825b650143cb6e25743a7e335.jpg

5.         Which organ is inflamed when you are suffering from Nephritis?

Answer = Kidney

1175308910_5nephritis.jpg.4358ffc3b1b6de586cf6000444fd0158.jpg

6.         Which swimmer won seven gold medals at the 1972 Olympic Games?

Answer = Mark Spitz

345390381_6spitz.jpg.d6b12793ce163b05bc04c1d3af75d968.jpg

7.         Who was the last prisoner to be held at the Tower of London?

Answer = Kray Twins

Summer 1969, after a night out and walking back from the West End to the East End Eggy & Jas (Mick Joseph) ended up on Whitechapel Road and saw the Blind Begger. We decided to have a look – had a look in – the place went quiet, we turned and walked out – once out we ran :):)

342126486_7Kray.jpg.63df55ffa454e055698df5361ed5fcfd.jpg

1738409603_8The_Blind_Beggar.jpg.2cc8b385fbda8ca0b8e826b0f85791bb.jpg

8.         Which bottle size is equivalent to 12 standard bottles?

Answer = balthazar

9.         Which West End and Broadway musical was adapted from T.S. Elliott’s Old Possum Poems?

Answer = cats

Fortunately I was never dragged to see it J. The one musical, whilst we were in London, I was enticed to see was We Will Rock You – c2003. Haven’t been to a musical since J

10.      How many points win a game of Cribbage?

Answer = 61

1819184641_10crib.jpg.83d24f2f145166830781c0b43acba1f9.jpg

11.      What name is given to an eagle’s home?

Answer = Eyrie

12.      What do we call the chemical process by which a substance combines with oxygen to produce heat and light?

Answer = combustion

William Wordsworth was, at one time, thought to be a French spy and was followed for a whole month by a detective.

Answer - I didn't

1.       Kenya

2.       Mercury

3.       Senate

4.       Retsina

5.       Kidney

6.       Mark Spitz

7.       The Kray twins 1952

8.       Salmanazar

9.       CATS

10.   121

11.   An eyrie

12.   Combustion

New quiz tomorrow!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Time to keep the grey cell in trim!

1.         Which household appliance was patented by Cecil Booth in 1901?

2.         In bookmaker’s  slang what odds are denoted by ‘double carpet’

3.         Who did Bjorn Borg defeat in 1976 to win his first Wimbledon singles title?

4.         What is the more common name of the chemical Ethylene Glycol?

5.         In what year were dog licences abolished in Britain?

6.         On a Monopoly board, which property clockwise is situated after the Water Works?

7.         In which part of the British Isles would you find bailiwicks?

8.         In which war was the battle of Gettysburg?

9.         By what name is the plant Lonicera better known?

10.      Which Archbishop of Canterbury seized the devil’s nose in a pair of red-hot tongs?

11.      What is the longest river in Scotland?

12.      What is the medical name for Rabies?

In 1877 a wealthy widow promised Russian composer Tchaikovsky a generous annual allowance – on condition that they never met.

Answers on Thursday, as usual!

1.         Which household appliance was patented by Cecil Booth in 1901?                                                                   Vacuum cleaner

2.         In bookmaker’s  slang what odds are denoted by ‘double carpet’

3.         Who did Bjorn Borg defeat in 1976 to win his first Wimbledon singles title?                                                     Ille Nastase

4.         What is the more common name of the chemical Ethylene Glycol?                                                                     Anti Freeze

5.         In what year were dog licences abolished in Britain?                                                                                              1986

6.         On a Monopoly board, which property clockwise is situated after the Water Works?

7.         In which part of the British Isles would you find bailiwicks?                                                                                  Channel Islands

8.         In which war was the battle of Gettysburg?                                                                                           American War of Independence

9.         By what name is the plant Lonicera better known?                                                                                                   Honeysuckle

10.      Which Archbishop of Canterbury seized the devil’s nose in a pair of red-hot tongs?

11.      What is the longest river in Scotland?                                                                                                                            The Tay

12.      What is the medical name for Rabies?                                                                                                                           Hydrophobia

• Like 1

1.         Which household appliance was patented by Cecil Booth in 1901?  Vacuum cleaner

2.         In bookmaker’s  slang what odds are denoted by ‘double carpet’  33/1

3.         Who did Bjorn Borg defeat in 1976 to win his first Wimbledon singles title? Ilie Năstase

4.         What is the more common name of the chemical Ethylene Glycol? antifreeze

5.         In what year were dog licences abolished in Britain? 1987

6.         On a Monopoly board, which property clockwise is situated after the Water Works? Marvin Gardens (should read Marven Gardens)

7.         In which part of the British Isles would you find bailiwicks? Jersey

8.         In which war was the battle of Gettysburg? US Civil War

9.         By what name is the plant Lonicera better known? Honeysuckle

10.      Which Archbishop of Canterbury seized the devil’s nose in a pair of red-hot tongs?  Archbishop Dunstan

11.      What is the longest river in Scotland?  River Tay

12.      What is the medical name for Rabies?  hydrophobia.

• Like 1

1.         Which household appliance was patented by Cecil Booth in 1901?

Answer = Vacuum cleaner

12043510_1cecil-booth-vacuum-cleaner.jpg.fbfa5397c12c8b968763f1f71157fd3a.jpg

2.         In bookmaker’s  slang what odds are denoted by ‘double carpet’

Answer = 33/1

1847782802_233-1.jpg.7a74cfdcaa85ec86a1c2eab116e8dae4.jpg

3.         Who did Bjorn Borg defeat in 1976 to win his first Wimbledon singles title? 

Answer = Ilie Năstase

1404630068_4Ilie.jpg.9eab6ef5b979f87a935d1118edd39239.jpg

4.         What is the more common name of the chemical Ethylene Glycol?

Answer = (CH2OH)2  - antifreeze

5.         In what year were dog licences abolished in Britain? 

Answer = 1987

6.         On a Monopoly board, which property clockwise is situated after the Water Works? 

Answer = Regent Street = UK

Marven Gardens = Canada

Sturplan = Sweden

250456339_6Monopoly.jpg.ae06ff5d5cec89fc4b8277d2cc3e2538.jpg

7.         In which part of the British Isles would you find bailiwicks? 

Answer = Channel Islands

225235661_7Channel.jpg.aee068c14e11cf9fedad869c75caf20f.jpg

8.         In which war was the battle of Gettysburg?

Answer = American Civil War

Lasting three days in 1863, from July 1-3, Gettysburg was the bloodiest battle ever fought on American soil, with up to 10,000 Union and Confederate troops dead and another 30,000 wounded. But surprisingly, this tremendous battle was a purely unplanned accident that grew out of a desperate need for soldiers' shoes!

2014015860_8Gettis.thumb.jpg.fae5f89d7f01ae0c4ba694e113b23af7.jpg

9.         By what name is the plant Lonicera better known?

Answer = Honeysuckle

1752706367_9honeysuckle.jpg.65c8cef9166bec058e382a217b954894.jpg

10.      Which Archbishop of Canterbury seized the devil’s nose in a pair of red-hot tongs?

Answer = Dunstan

Dunstan immediately seized the devil's nose with his redhot tongs, causing the devil to leap the eight miles to cool his proboscis in the Tunbridge spring, thus lending the water its celebrated chalybeate qualities.

1784395864_10Dunstan.jpg.1ce8550050c1fc60a1cbc5c36184da99.jpg

11.      What is the longest river in Scotland?

Answer = Tay 

160367329_11Tay.jpg.191fe1511ccaf0019733fc5b54a01689.jpg

12.      What is the medical name for Rabies?  

Answer = before I jumped into the cold water at Humford Baths I had Hydrophobia.

1855877312_HumfordBathswithfloater.jpg.5e33e7653393d8942284a4b3c7c24cea.jpg

In 1877 a wealthy widow promised Russian composer Tchaikovsky a generous annual allowance – on condition that they never met.

Answer = I didn’t. Does that mean that Tchaikovsky and Władysław Pachulski invented Texting?

• Like 1

1.       Vacuum cleaner

2.       33 - 1

3.       Illie Nastase

4.       Anti-freeze

5.       1988

6.       Piccadily

7.       Channel Islands

8.       US Civil War 1861 - 1865

9.       Honeysuckle or Woodbine

10.   Dunstan

11.   River Tay

12.   Hydrophobia

Re question 6: The Swedish Monopoly board doesn't have a Waterworks, or so I,ve been informed by one of the grandchildren. I did a quick google and apparently it was removed about 15 years ago when the board was revised. My own, English version of the game is well over 30 years old and next to the Waterworks in a CLOCKWISE direction is Piccadily. My apologies if the English version has also changed the placement of Piccadily.

New quiz tomorrow.

Edited by Canny lass
  • Like 2

Get your thinking caps on!

1.         What was the surname of the character played by Clint Eastwood in the Dirty Harry films?

2.         In which English county is Welwyn Garden City?

3.         What is the principal chemical found in diamonds?

4.         What name is given to the indentation on a brick which holds the mortar?

5.         What was the favourite food of Paddington Bear?

6.         Which of these countries does NOT drive on the left: New Zealand, South Africa, Sweden, Cyprus?

7.         In which sport would you compete for the America’s Cup?

8.         What colour is the spot in the middle of the Japanese flag?

9.         Which of the Seven Wonders of the World was created by the sculptor Phidias about 430BC?

10.      Which football club is nicknamed The Canaries?

11.      Who was the first British woman to take a seat in the House of Commons?

12.      Where would you find cerumen in the human body?

Bagpipes were played in Persia, Egypt and Greece long before the Scots adopted them from the Romans.

Answers on Thursday, next week.

1.         What was the surname of the character played by Clint Eastwood in the Dirty Harry films?                         Callahan 

2.         In which English county is Welwyn Garden City?                                                                                                    Gloucestershire

3.         What is the principal chemical found in diamonds?                                                                                               Carbon

4.         What name is given to the indentation on a brick which holds the mortar?                                                       The frog

5.         What was the favourite food of Paddington Bear?                                                                                                   Porridge

6.         Which of these countries does NOT drive on the left: New Zealand, South Africa, Sweden, Cyprus?              Sweden

7.         In which sport would you compete for the America’s Cup?                                                                                     Yacht Sailing

8.         What colour is the spot in the middle of the Japanese flag?                                                                                    Red

9.         Which of the Seven Wonders of the World was created by the sculptor Phidias about 430BC? The hanging gardens of Babylon

10.      Which football club is nicknamed The Canaries?                                                                                                        Norwich City

11.      Who was the first British woman to take a seat in the House of Commons?

12.      Where would you find cerumen in the human body?

• Like 1

1.         What was the surname of the character played by Clint Eastwood in the Dirty Harry films? Callahan

2.         In which English county is Welwyn Garden City? Hertfordshire

3.         What is the principal chemical found in diamonds? Carbon

4.         What name is given to the indentation on a brick which holds the mortar? Frog

5.         What was the favourite food of Paddington Bear? Marmalade

6.         Which of these countries does NOT drive on the left: New Zealand, South Africa, Sweden, Cyprus? Cyprus, right!

7.         In which sport would you compete for the America’s Cup? Yachting

8.         What colour is the spot in the middle of the Japanese flag? Red

9.         Which of the Seven Wonders of the World was created by the sculptor Phidias about 430BC? Zeus.

10.      Which football club is nicknamed The Canaries? Norwich City FC

11.      Who was the first British woman to take a seat in the House of Commons? British citizen, Nancy Astor.               British born was Margaret  Wintringham

12.      Where would you find cerumen in the human body? Ear

Edited by Vic Patterson
  • Like 1

1.         What was the surname of the character played by Clint Eastwood in the Dirty Harry films?

Answer = Harry Callaghan

986105256_1Harry.jpg.ca1683f5414a9a46c6a3c64c9c6f2bc6.jpg

2.         In which English county is Welwyn Garden City?

Answer = Hertfordshire

1559360127_2Hert.png.89c4bba2968a2e9e5611564d4ef0222f.png

3.         What is the principal chemical found in diamonds?

Answer = Carbon

4.         What name is given to the indentation on a brick which holds the mortar?

Answer = Frog

1050729456_4brick.jpg.f39a6b4d5baa30be154d74dfb7af0358.jpg

5.         What was the favourite food of Paddington Bear?

Answer = Marmalade

Did you know that Paddington, like the queen, has two birthdays - Christmas Day and June 25th.

1974653745_5Pad.jpg.ec3794f58cdb271273c6d9d7bf7c2f0d.jpg

6.         Which of these countries does NOT drive on the left: New Zealand, South Africa, Sweden, Cyprus?

Answer = Sweden

7.         In which sport would you compete for the America’s Cup?

Answer = Yacht race

1039737532_7yacht.jpg.577a0419738476ccadf2bf05bf3a6c5e.jpg

8.         What colour is the spot in the middle of the Japanese flag?

Answer = Red or is it Crimson or is it Crimson Red?

9.         Which of the Seven Wonders of the World was created by the sculptor Phidias about 430BC?

Answer = Zeus

2070787592_9Zeus.jpg.c5b80a546a68ca0c30e63038f5536649.jpg

10.      Which football club is nicknamed The Canaries?

Answer = Norwich City AND Barrington CP  

1679945559_10BCP2.jpg.bbc27bd2f3b81e38339255da15a4382e.jpg

11.      Who was the first British woman to take a seat in the House of Commons?

Answer = Nancy Astor

483734493_11Nancy.jpg.277ed6ee061d1a4e715c1e7056e4f279.jpg

12.      Where would you find cerumen in the human body?

Answer = Ears = earwax

Bagpipes were played in Persia, Egypt and Greece long before the Scots adopted them from the Romans.

Answer = Yes – my uncle Larry (Irish) , played the bagpipes in the Pride Of Murray Pipe Band, was always telling us it wasn’t the Scots.

• Like 1

1.       Callaghan

2.       Hertfordshire

3.       Carbon

4.       Frog

5.       Marmalade sandwiches

6.       Sweden

7.       Yachting

8.       Red

9.       Statue of Zeus

10.   Norwich City