Friday night is quiz night ('cos I know you've got nothing better to do just now)

Canny lass

1.         In which 1984 film did Sean Connery return as James Bond after a 13 year gap?

Answer = Never Say never Again

727614468_1neversaynever.jpg.afb81a8afddbe10dfd43339a6c964355.jpg

2.         What in the building trade is called ‘harling’ in Scotland?

Answer = Harling is a rough-cast wall finish consisting of lime and aggregate, notable for its rough texture

491731388_2Harling.jpg.4bb4a3424efdd963e29562cffb29843c.jpg

3.         Who was the first woman to participate in the University Boat Race?

Answer = Sue Brown

She was the first woman to cox the Boat Race, winning with Oxford in 1981

The result justified her selection. 'I steered extremely badly, but we still won.' She was hardly a novice, in any case, having coxed the British women's four in the 1980 Olympics Games in Moscow. She guided Oxford to victory again in 1982. After taking part in the World Championships, she gave up 'serious' rowing in 1986.

19002833_3Cox.jpg.ea39a39c977425da137a0b7df253702f.jpg

4.         In which country was Salman Rushdie born?

Answer = Mumbai, India

Early Years. Sir Ahmed Salman Rushdie was born on June 19, 1947, in Bombay (now Mumbai), India. The only son of a wealthy Indian businessman and a school teacher, Rushdie was educated at a Bombay private school before attending The Rugby School, a boarding school in Warwickshire, England.

451726063_4Salman.jpg.3ca3cab1da6d116fcc3528ccb80f2af0.jpg

5.         What sort of creature is a pipistrelle?

Answer = Bat

Common pipistrelles feed in a wide range of habitats from grasslands to urban areas. They roost in tree holes, bat boxes and even the roof spaces of houses, often in small colonies.

812205997_5bat.jpg.6d960395369241860899c93a2feb656c.jpg

6.         Helleborus niger is better known as which perennial plant?

Answer = Christmas Rose

Christmas rose, is a winter-blooming evergreen perennial which blooms around Christmas time in warm winter regions, but later ,February or March, in the cold northern parts of the growing range.

1668168574_6xmasrose.jpg.6fc8e60df53ec74a18935502ae80ff59.jpg

7.         Which animal is Canada’s official emblem?

Answer = beaver

The beaver was given official status as an emblem of Canada when “An Act to provide for the recognition of the Beaver (Castor canadensis) as a symbol of the sovereignty of Canada” received royal assent on March 24, 1975

984612344_7threepenny-beaver.jpg.4f423701399d38f201c8eaa2d7073221.jpg

8.         Which word meaning ‘divine wind’ describes suicide missions of Japanese pilots?

Answer = Kamikaze

Cherry Blossoms and Kamikaze. ... Cherry blossom send off. Kamikaze means "divine wind" in Japanese, and originally referred to a miraculous typhoon that saved Japan from a Mongolian invasion force in the 13th century. The Japanese Navy used this term to describe their suicide attack planes.

1347012439_8Kama.jpg.48b22916241e0999e60e1dee43e31e6a.jpg

9.         Who, in the bible, was the youngest son of jacob?

Answer = Benjamin

Though not named in the Quran, Benjamin is referred to as the righteous youngest son of Jacob, in the narrative of Joseph in Islamic tradition. Apart from that, however, Islamic tradition does not provide much detail regarding Benjamin's life, and refers to him as being born from Jacob's wife Rachel.

1516055657_9Benjamin.JPG.5e83207e718381c415f8f6c09ccd36c2.JPG

10.      Which letter of the Greek alphabet is the equivalent to T?

Answer = Tau

1336320731_10T.jpg.613669b381f4435984fa01cf9041df0d.jpg

11.      The 1969 Eurovision Song Contest ended in a four-way tie between France, UK, Spain and which other country?

Answer = Netherlands

2031380245_11Netherlands.jpg.889aefd530932b06f4ca07e1bee180d0.jpg

12.      What is Magnesium Sulphate called when used as a laxative?

Answer = Epsom Salts

But if you don’t like Epsom Salts go for Laxido

200457136_12Laxido.jpg.d9585c199345e3d97167a88f1b7975b3.jpg

I’ll bet you didn’t know ….

Oliver Cromwell passed a law forbidding anyone to eat mince pies or Christmas pudding.

Answer = I didn’t – but if I was Prime Minister I would bring that law back.:D

Giving liberty to carnal and sensual delights From this point until the Restoration in 1660, Christmas was officially illegal. Although Cromwell himself did not initiate the banning of Christmas, his rise to power certainly resulted in the promotion of measures that severely curtailed such celebrations.

Nowhere, they argued, had God called upon mankind to celebrate Christ's nativity in such fashion. In 1644, an Act of Parliament effectively banned the festival and in June 1647, the Long Parliament passed an ordinance confirming the abolition of the feast of Christmas.

1571502808_13Humbug.jpg.f8031d077875a480d3242cb53fd7eb96.jpg

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

On 20/07/2020 at 20:47, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

Oliver Cromwell passed a law forbidding anyone to eat mince pies or Christmas pudding.

Answer = I didn’t – but if I was Prime Minister I would bring that law back

Shame on you (for wanting to bring that law back)! Christmas pudding and mince pies are the highlight of my seasonal menu. I still make my own pudding every Boxing day for the following year. There's only me who likes it so I get a whole pudding to myself - I also get all the brandy sauce and brandy butter. Usually lasts me a week and the last slice is always fried in the last of the brandy butter and eaten for breakfast on New year's day. Great for hangovers!! Not so good for the waistline!!!!

27 minutes ago, Canny lass said:

Shame on you (for wanting to bring that law back)! Christmas pudding and mince pies are the highlight of my seasonal menu. I still make my own pudding every Boxing day for the following year. There's only me who likes it so I get a whole pudding to myself - I also get all the brandy sauce and brandy butter. Usually lasts me a week and the last slice is always fried in the last of the brandy butter and eaten for breakfast on New year's day. Great for hangovers!! Not so good for the waistline!!!!

I remember the first time I bit into a mince pie at xmas:thumbsdown:. I blame the person who offered me one, can't remember who it was, but I thought I was being offered a minced beef pie. Can't remember anyone calling them sweet mince pies :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Answers to last week's quiz:

1.       Never Say Never Again

2.       Pebble dash (or rough cast)

3.       Susan Brown

4.       India

5.       A bat

6.       Christmas rose

7.       Beaver

8.       Kamikaze

9.       Benjamin

10.   Tau

11.   Holland

12.   Epsom Salts

New quiz tomorrow!

• Thanks 1

Are we ready for this week's challenge? Pencils poised? Thinking caps on? Right, let's get going:

1.         On what date does Halloween fall?

2.         In which Scottish town was James Watt born?

3.         How many metres in a mile?

4.         In which Dickens novel does Thomas Gradgrind of Coketown appaer?

5.         Spanish flu, 1918-1920, claimed 50 million lives. Where did it start?

6.         In which year was the Apple iphone launched?

7.         Which Harrod’s boss became Chairman of Fulham FC?

8.         Who said, after winning the Grand National, “Sex is an anti-climax after that”?

9.         By what name is polytetrafluoroethylene better known?

10.      What was the name of the raft which Thor Heyerdahl used to sail from Peru in 1947?

11.      Which country invaded Kuwait in 1990?

12.      Which British cathedral has three spires?

King George I couldn’t speak English.

Answers, as usual, on Thursday,

Edited by Canny lass

1.         On what date does Halloween fall?  October 31

2.         In which Scottish town was James Watt born?  Greeock.

3.         How many metres in a mile?

4.         In which Dickens novel does Thomas Gradgrind of Coketown appaer?

5.         Spanish flu, 1918-1920, claimed 50 million lives. Where did it start? China.

6.         In which year was the Apple iphone launched? 2007

7.         Which Harrod’s boss became Chairman of Fulham FC?

8.         Who said, after winning the Grand National, “Sex is an anti-climax after that”?

9.         By what name is polytetrafluoroethylene better known? Teflon (PTFE for plumbers)

10.      What was the name of the raft which Thor Heyerdahl used to sail from Peru in 1947? Kontiki

11.      Which country invaded Kuwait in 1990? Irak.

12.      Which British cathedral has three spires?

• Like 1

1.         On what date does Halloween fall?                                                                                     October 31st

2.         In which Scottish town was James Watt born?                                                                 Greenock                   

3.         How many metres in a mile?                                                                                                  1,600 

4.         In which Dickens novel does Thomas Gradgrind of Coketown appaer?

5.         Spanish flu, 1918-1920, claimed 50 million lives. Where did it start?                            France

6.         In which year was the Apple iphone launched?                                                                  2006

7.         Which Harrod’s boss became Chairman of Fulham FC?                                                   Mohamed Al Fayed

8.         Who said, after winning the Grand National, “Sex is an anti-climax after that”?            Lester Piggot

9.         By what name is polytetrafluoroethylene better known?                                                  PTFE  Teflon

10.      What was the name of the raft which Thor Heyerdahl used to sail from Peru in 1947?

11.      Which country invaded Kuwait in 1990?                                                                                Iraq

12.      Which British cathedral has three spires?                                                                              Canterbury

1.         On what date does Halloween fall?

Answer = 31st October

Halloween or Hallowe'en (a contraction of Hallows' Even or Hallows' Evening), also known as Allhalloween, All Hallows' Eve, or All Saints' Eve, is a celebration observed in many countries on 31 October, the eve of the Western Christian feast of All Hallows' Day. It begins the three-day observance of Allhallowtide, the time in the liturgical year dedicated to remembering the dead, including saints (hallows), martyrs, and all the faithful departed

76638623_1TraditionalIrish_halloween_Jack-o-lantern.jpg.89cbcb8053ca3ac788a591138bbaf9f0.jpg

2.         In which Scottish town was James Watt born?

Answer = Greenock

He is best remembered for his improvements to the steam engine. Watt introduced a design enhancement, the separate condenser, which avoided this waste of energy and radically improved the power, efficiency, and cost-effectiveness of steam engines. Eventually he adapted his engine to produce rotary motion, greatly broadening its use beyond pumping water.

920371886_2Watt.jpg.660d7b825b8fd968c19dac19639db727.jpg

3.         How many metres in a mile?

Answer = 1609 (and a bit)

4.         In which Dickens novel does Thomas Gradgrind of Coketown appaer?

Answer = Hard Times

In the opening paragraph of the second chapter of Hard Times, Dickens creates the straw man Thomas Gradgrind, a creature of mere fact and no humbugging sentiment, a modern, no-nonsense figure of the industrial age.

5.         Spanish flu, 1918-1920, claimed 50 million lives. Where did it start?

Answer = Cansas, USA

While it's unlikely that the “Spanish Flu” originated in Spain, scientists are still unsure of its source. France, China and Britain have all been suggested as the potential birthplace of the virus, as has the United States, where the first known case was reported at a military base in Kansas on March 11, 1918.

6.         In which year was the Apple iphone launched?

Answer = 7th June, 2010

Following a number of notable leaks, the iPhone 4 was first unveiled on June 7, 2010, at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco, and was released on June 24, 2010, in the United States, United Kingdom, France, Germany, and Japan.

7.         Which Harrod’s boss became Chairman of Fulham FC?

Answer = Mohamed Al Fayed

8.         Who said, after winning the Grand National, “Sex is an anti-climax after that”?

Answer = Mick Fitzgerald

The race was won in a time of nine minutes and 0.8 seconds and by a distance of 1 1⁄4 lengths by Rough Quest, the 7/1 favourite. = Mick Fitzgeral’s passion, alterative to horse riding lasted under nine minutes.

9.         By what name is polytetrafluoroethylene better known?

Answer = Teflon

10.      What was the name of the raft which Thor Heyerdahl used to sail from Peru in 1947?

Answer – Kon-Tiki

1493931321_10Kontiki.jpg.d4d81753e13674fe981d3d19cbc6365a.jpg

11.      Which country invaded Kuwait in 1990?

Answer = Iraq

On this day, Aug 2nd, in 1990, at about 2 a.m. local time, Iraqi forces invade Kuwait, Iraq's tiny, oil-rich neighbor. Kuwait's defense forces were rapidly overwhelmed, and those that were not destroyed retreated to Saudi Arabia.

1164601514_11Kuwait.jpg.c6472dec038f780faa0a1bc1fd555b6b.jpg 

12.      Which British cathedral has three spires?

Answer = Lichfield ?

There are only three cathedrals in the United Kingdom with three spires. Lichfield Cathedral, dating from the 13th and early 14th centuries is the only medieval cathedral. Between the 14th and 16th centuries Lincoln Cathedral also had three spires and was the tallest building in the world for 238 years until the central spire collapsed in 1549 and was not rebuilt. Both Truro Cathedral, Cornwall (late 19th–early 20th century) and St Mary's Episcopal Cathedral, Edinburgh (late 19th century) were built in the Gothic Revival style and also have three spires.

2101528455_12Lichfield.jpg.de5ea2058ee733524a90d5f323fa4659.jpg

King George I couldn’t speak English.

Answer = I didn’t

1.       October 31st

2.       Greenock

3.       1609,344

4.       Hard Times

5.       In a military base in Kansas USA

6.       2007

7.       Mohamed Al Fayed

8.       Mick Fitzgerald

9.       Teflon

10.   Kon-Tiki

11.   Iraq

12.   Lichfield

New quiz tomorrow!

• Like 1

Time for a bit of brain gymnastics! We can't be letting this Covid-19 make us lazy. How's everybody coping? We now have three family members who have tested positive and in quarantine at home - all three in the same household.

1.      Harry Potter was brought up by his aunt and uncle at which address? (House number, street, town and county required).

2.         Where was the first land battle of the Falklands War?

3.         Which of the four Beatles was the youngest?

4.         Who was known as the Widow of Windsor?

5.         What was the name of the boat in which Sir Francis Chichester circumnavigated the world 1966-67?

6.         What did Jack Horner eat in a corner?

7.         What is the full moon following the Harvest moon called?

8.         The Statue of Liberty was a gift to America from which country?

9.         How many players are there in a hurling team?

10.      Who had a 1966 hit with Good Vibrations?

11.      From which language has English borrowed the words brandy, decoy and landscape?

12.      Which Canadian city was originally called Ville-Marie?

Until 1930 riders of bicycles had to ring their bells non-stop while the bicycle was in motion.

Answers on Thursday as usual.

Edited by Canny lass
  • Like 1

1.      Harry Potter was brought up by his aunt and uncle at which address? (House number, street, town and county required).

2.         Where was the first land battle of the Falklands War? Moody Brook

4.         Who was known as the Widow of Windsor? Queen Victoria

5.         What was the name of the boat in which Sir Francis Chichester circumnavigated the world 1966-67? Gypsy Moth

6.         What did Jack Horner eat in a corner? Christmas pie

8.         The Statue of Liberty was a gift to America from which country? France

9.         How many players are there in a hurling team? 15

10.      Who had a 1966 hit with Good Vibrations? Beach Boys

11.      From which language has English borrowed the words brandy, decoy and landscape?

12.      Which Canadian city was originally called Ville-Marie? Montreal

5 hours ago, Canny lass said:

Time for a bit of brain gymnastics! We can't be letting this Covid-19 make us lazy. How's everybody coping? We now have three family members who have tested positive and in quarantine at home - all three in the same household.

2.         Where was the first land battle of the Falklands War?                                                                                              South Georgia

3.         Which of the four Beatles was the youngest?                                                                                                             George

4.         Who was known as the Widow of Windsor?                                                                                                                Mrs Simpson

5.         What was the name of the boat in which Sir Francis Chichester circumnavigated the world 1966-67?           Gipsy Moth  

6.         What did Jack Horner eat in a corner?                                                                                                                          Curds and whey

8.         The Statue of Liberty was a gift to America from which country?                                                                            Canada

9.         How many players are there in a hurling team?                                                                                                            13

10.      Who had a 1966 hit with Good Vibrations?                                                                                                                    The Beachboys

11.      From which language has English borrowed the words brandy, decoy and landscape?                                         French

12.      Which Canadian city was originally called Ville-Marie?                                                                                                Quebec

Until 1930 riders of bicycles had to ring their bells non-stop while the bicycle was in motion.

Answers on Thursday as usual.

9 hours ago, Canny lass said:

We now have three family members who have tested positive and in quarantine at home - all three in the same household.

I hope they are all fit and healthy, and get through it alright, fortunately I don't know anyone who has contracted the virus, no cases here yet. 

22 hours ago, Canny lass said:

Compared with the thousands who have died in the UK we are doing fine.

Miss the kids, grandkids and great grandkids but they are all Ok and those that were furloughed are now back at work.

Answer = 4 Privet Drive, Little Whinging,  Surrey, England.

After Harry Potter's parents are killed by Voldemort, Albus Dumbledore arranges for Harry to live with his relatives, the Dursleys - his Aunt Petunia, Uncle Vernon and cousin, Dudley.

2.         Where was the first land battle of the Falklands War?

Answer = South Georgia

Answer = George Harrison

Born -  February 25, 1943

4.         Who was known as the Widow of Windsor?

Answer = Queen Victoria

’AVE you ’eard o’ the Widow at Windsor
 With a hairy gold crown on ’er ’ead?
She ’as ships on the foam—she ’as millions at ’ome,
An’ she pays us poor beggars in red.
(Ow, poor beggars in red!)
There’s ’er nick on the cavalry ’orses,
There’s ’er mark on the medical stores—
An’ ’er troopers you’ll find with a fair wind be’ind
That takes us to various wars.
(Poor beggars!—barbarious wars!)
Then ’ere’s to the Widow at Windsor,
 An’ ’ere’s to the stores an’ the guns,
The men an’ the ’orses what makes up the forces
O’ Missis Victorier’s sons.
(Poor beggars! Victorier’s sons!) 

Walk wide o’ the Widow at Windsor,
 For ’alf o’ Creation she owns:
We ’ave bought ’er the same with the sword an’ the flame,
An’ we’ve salted it down with our bones.
 (Poor beggars!—it’s blue with our bones!)
Hands off o’ the sons o’ the Widow,
Hands off o’ the goods in ’er shop,
For the Kings must come down an’ the Emperors frown
 When the Widow at Windsor says “Stop”!
 (Poor beggars!—we’re sent to say “Stop”!)
Then ’ere’s to the Lodge o’ the Widow,
From the Pole to the Tropics it runs—
To the Lodge that we tile with the rank an’ the file,
An’ open in form with the guns.
(Poor beggars!—it’s always they guns!) 

We ’ave ’eard o’ the Widow at Windsor,
It’s safest to let ’er alone:
For ’er sentries we stand by the sea an’ the land
Wherever the bugles are blown.
(Poor beggars!—an’ don’t we get blown!)
Take ’old o’ the Wings o’ the Mornin’,
An’ flop round the earth till you’re dead;
But you won’t get away from the tune that they play
To the bloomin’ old rag over’ead.
 (Poor beggars!—it’s ’ot over’ead!)
Then ’ere’s to the sons o’ the Widow,
Wherever, ’owever they roam.
’Ere’s all they desire, an’ if they require
A speedy return to their ’ome.
(Poor beggars!—they’ll never see ’ome!) 

5.         What was the name of the boat in which Sir Francis Chichester circumnavigated the world 1966-67?

Answer = Gipsy Moth IV

6.         What did Jack Horner eat in a corner?

Answer = Christmas pie

1926973825_6jack.jpg.91f8d7b101a72ae570c57f8783ae4ebc.jpg

Answer = Hunter’s moon

8.         The Statue of Liberty was a gift to America from which country?

Answer = France

Did you know the Original Statue of Liberty presented to the U.S. was a Statue of a…”Black Woman”.

164909821_8Original.jpg.fb2065f1f952a9dd39171276c30895b8.jpg

9.         How many players are there in a hurling team?

Answer = 15

1789327887_9Hurling.png.8596c333f6993470af47c55777d7078d.png

10.      Who had a 1966 hit with Good Vibrations?

Answer = The Beach Boys

Answer = Dutch

12.      Which Canadian city was originally called Ville-Marie?

Answer = Quebec

Answer = I did  :thumbsup::jump::phone:- it was in an episode of QI.

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

21 hours ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

Did you know the Original Statue of Liberty presented to the U.S. was a Statue of a…”Black Woman”.

I didn't!

... but there again, I didn't know the answers to half of this week's questions either.

Edited by Canny lass

1.    4 Privet Drive, Little Whinging, Surrey

2.       Goose Green

3.       George Harrison

4.       Queen Victoria

5.       Gypsy Moth

6.       A Christmas Pie

7.       Hunter’s moon

8.       France

9.       15

10.   Beach Boys

11.   Dutch

12.   Montreal

Another quiz tomorrow!

• Like 2

On 01/08/2020 at 03:09, Vic Patterson said:

I hope they are all fit and healthy, and get through it alright, fortunately I don't know anyone who has contracted the virus, no cases here yet. 

Thanks Vic! All out of quarantine now, feeling a bit washed out but the first one infected will be back at work next week, she thinks.

• Like 1

It's Friday! Let battle commence! Choice of weapons - Google at 10 paces:

1.         How many days does a broody hen sit on her eggs?

2.         What would a cooper make for you?

3.         Which British monarch’s dying words were “All my possessions for a moment of time”?

4.         Who won the Monaco Grand Prix in 1996?

5.         Which city is served by Hopkins Airport?

6.         What is the currency in Iraq?

7.         In which city is the Embassy World Snooker Championship held?

8.         Who played the title role in the1966 film Alfie??

9.         What is a gibus?

10.      Which singing voice is between tenor and soprano?

11.      What is Fred Flintstone’s daughter called?

12.      Which organization has twice won the Nobel Peace Prize? 

In November 1960 an American rocket, launched from Cape Canaveral, went off course and crashed in Cuba killing a cow.

3 hours ago, Canny lass said:

1.         How many days does a broody hen sit on her eggs?                                                                              21 days

2.         What would a cooper make for you?                                                                                                          A barrel

3.         Which British monarch’s dying words were “All my possessions for a moment of time”?                Henry VIII

4.         Who won the Monaco Grand Prix in 1996?                                                                                                Michael Schumacher

6.         What is the currency in Iraq?                                                                                                                        Dinar

7.         In which city is the Embassy World Snooker Championship held?                                                       Sheffield

8.         Who played the title role in the1966 film Alfie??                                                                                      Michael Caine 

11.      What is Fred Flintstone’s daughter called?                                                                                                Pebbles

12.      Which organization has twice won the Nobel Peace Prize?                                                                   The Red Cross

In November 1960 an American rocket, launched from Cape Canaveral, went off course and crashed in Cuba killing a cow.

1.         How many days does a broody hen sit on her eggs? 21 days

2.         What would a cooper make for you? Barrel

3.         Which British monarch’s dying words were “All my possessions for a moment of time”?

4.         Who won the Monaco Grand Prix in 1996? Panis

5.         Which city is served by Hopkins Airport? Cleveland

6.         What is the currency in Iraq? Dinar

9.         What is a gibus? Top hat

20 hours ago, Canny lass said:

1.         How many days does a broody hen sit on her eggs?

Answer = 21 days

How to stop a hen brooding - Use frozen vegetables.

I’ve heard several people have placed a bag of frozen vegetables underneath their hen. They do this because when a hen is broody their body temperature rises so reducing it (with the frozen vegetables) will sometimes send a message to their brain that they aren’t broody anymore.

424527524_1hen.jpg.fb3186594af2b55f60a0c3d61ccfa0ba.jpg

2.         What would a cooper make for you?

Answer = Wooden barrel

173558614_2barrell.jpg.c868ed7ba5a83f03960f5ed7f9661fc3.jpg

Answer = Queen Elizabeth I

Spock - Leonard Nimoy’s last words to the world (two days before he died)  ‘A life is like a garden,

perfect moments can be had,

but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP (= Live long and prosper)

1650935730_3Lizzy.jpg.f52936baac48b5f0985d3d73601583b6.jpg

4.         Who won the Monaco Grand Prix in 1996?

Answer = Olivier Panis = his one and only Grand prix win = Ligier team.

The race was run in wet weather, causing significant attrition and setting a record for the fewest cars (three) to be running at the end of a Grand Prix race.

912391182_4Panis.jpg.2bcac0823fb9296b0e020b26fc8a16aa.jpg

Answer = Cleveland, Mississippi

6.         What is the currency in Iraq?

Answer = Dinar

1982543475_6Dinar-25000.jpg.3c2766c14776f61dd5ccbfc17d52aa10.jpg

Answer = Sheffield

489106429_7Snooker.jpg.730d66aef546e5edc76a45f177d8cd6d.jpg

Answer = Michael Cain.

But not a lot of people know that Michael Cain did not say --  not a lot of people know that

1314239987_8Alfie.jpg.2e617c58141943a686b9e66bdba27212.jpg

Answer = Collapsible Top Hat

The gibus was invented in 1812 and named after its inventor, Antoine Gibus, who was a 19th century Frenchman.

1834721376_9gibus.jpg.86bdeacde82719a087e0cdab1d6b1534.jpg

Answer = Alto

The four main vocal ranges are:

Soprano – A high female (or boy's) voice.

Alto         – A low female (or boy's) voice.

Tenor      – A high (adult) male voice.

Bass         – A low (adult) male voice.

1275104261_10Alto.png.ffe1b9aa598be04dbf4a3b5bab919621.png

Answer = Pebbles

1042274704_11Pebbles.jpg.705c9f057bdf63670c59886e2511b27b.jpg

Answer = UNHCR

The Nobel Peace Prize has been awarded 27 times to organizations between 1901 and 2019. 24 individual organizations have been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize, as UNHCR, the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, has received the Nobel Peace Prize twice, in 1954 and 1981, and the work of Comité international de la Croix Rouge (International Committee of the Red Cross) (ICRC) has been honoured three times, in 1917, 1944 and 1963.

742216019_12UNHCR.jpg.53cac5636225936f831b81fa6fa44636.jpg

November 30, 1960. A solitary cow is grazing in a meadow in the south of Cuba. On the other side of the Caribbean Sea, at the United States launch center, Cape Canaveral, a Thor DM-21

rocket is launched into space carrying a satellite. But something goes wrong. On the way to the stratosphere, Thor explodes and a part of its fuselage hits the Cuban cow head on. Rufina, for

that was the cow's name.

300979935_13Rufina.jpg.8673c0a6fda113f6dc0a490afc68352c.jpg

A bit late today, guys but better late than never!

1.       20 - 21

2.       A barrel

3.       Queen Elizabeth I

4.       Olivier Panis

5.       Cleveland

6.       Dinar

7.       Sheffield

8.       Michael Caine

9.       A top hat

10.   Alto

11.   Pebbles

12.   Red Cross

New quiz tomorrow!

• Like 1

Nice and easy this week!

1.         Who performed the theme song in the James Bond film Thunderball?

2.         What is the capital of the Dominican Republic?

3.         What is an odalisque?

4.         Which of Henry VIII’s wives is buried alongside him at Windsor?

5.         In which country does the Amazon river meet the sea?

6.         Which sport was played by Peanut Louie?

7.         Which bird has the scientific name Troglodytes Troglodytes?

8.         Which David presented Juke Box Jury?

9.         Which Sunday newspaper first hit the streets of London in 1843?

10.      From which animal did Jenner develop his smallpox vaccine?

11.      What name is given to words such as deed, minim, madam and rotavator?

12.      What makes stainless steel stainless? 

An iceberg bigger than Belgium was seen in the southern Pacific Ocean in 1956.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now