Friday night is quiz night ('cos I know you've got nothing better to do just now)

Canny lass

1 hour ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

sorry I missed Tuesday 'one joke' night.

You're forgiven!

1 hour ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

Last week I was passing the multi storey flats and could see Abdul bashing his carpet off the wall of the building.

I shouted up - 'what's the Abdul, won't it start' 

Haha! It took a while for the penny to drop. Did you miss out a word?

Answers to last Friday's quiz:

1.       Anne Boleyn

2.       Eric Clapton

3.       Soup

4.       Christ Church, Oxford

5.       9 noughts = 9 000 000 000

6.       Danny De Vito

7.       Steeleye Span

8.       Vodka Martini

9.       Benjamin Disraeli

10.   Ken Bates, Chelsea

11.   Six

12.   ST 1 (Bonus 71 DXC)

New quiz tomorrow.

Friday again already!

Time for a spot of brain gymnastics!

1.       What name do we give to the study of flags?

2.       In which Dickens novel does Richard Carstone appear?

3.       What is the boiling point of water on the Fahrenheit scale?

4.       Who painted the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel?

5.       In which year was Grace Kelly born? 

6.       The Colorado Beetle attacks which plant in particular?

7.       With what is the organization CER N concerned?

8.       What breed of dog is Scooby Doo?

9.       Which part of Britain was called Vectis by the Romans?

10.   Who, in a song, was thrown out ‘with nothing but a fine tooth comb?

11.   Euclid is associated with which branch of mathematics?

12.   Which boxer’s real name was Walker Smith?

I’ll bet you didn’t know …

The word bride comes from an ancient German word meaning ‘one who cooks’!

Answers on Thursday.

Edited by Canny lass

1.       What name do we give to the study of flags?     Vexillology

2.       In which Dickens novel does Richard Carstone appear?

3.       What is the boiling point of water on the Fahrenheit scale?     212f (or 203f in Grande Cache!)

4.       Who painted the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel?     Michelangelo

5.       In which year was Grace Kelly born?  

6.       The Colorado Beetle attacks which plant in particular?    Spuds

7.       With what is the organization CER N concerned?

8.       What breed of dog is Scooby Doo?       Great Dane

9.       Which part of Britain was called Vectis by the Romans?    I. O. W.

10.   Who, in a song, was thrown out ‘with nothing but a fine tooth comb?   Bill Bailey

11.   Euclid is associated with which branch of mathematics?

12.   Which boxer’s real name was Walker Smith?

6 hours ago, Canny lass said:

Friday again already!

Time for a spot of brain gymnastics!

1.       What name do we give to the study of flags?

3.       What is the boiling point of water on the Fahrenheit scale?

I’ll bet you didn’t know …

The word bride comes from an ancient German word meaning ‘one who cooks’!

Answers on Thursday.

Answer = The European Organization for Nuclear Research, known as CERN derived from the name Conseil européen pour la recherche nucléaire), is a European research organization that operates the largest particle physics laboratory in the world. Established in 1954, the organization is based in a northwest suburb of Geneva on the Franco–Swiss border and has 23 member states. Israel is the only non-European country granted full membership. CERN is an official United Nations Observer. The acronym CERN is also used to refer to the laboratory, which in 2016 had 2,500 scientific, technical, and administrative staff members, and hosted about 12,000 users. In the same year, CERN generated 49 petabytes of data.

Answer = Great Dane

Scooby-Doo was first introduced to the world back in 1969.

Answer = Isle of Wight

Answer = Bill Bailey

Louis Armstrong "Bill Bailey Lyrics."  :-

Won't you come home, bill bailey, won't you come home

I've moaned the whole night long

I'll do the cookin', honey, I'll pay the rent

I know I done you wrong

You remember that rainy evenin'

I threw you out....with nothin' but a fine tooth comb

Ya, I know I'm to blame, now... ain't it a shame

Bill bailey, won't you please come home

Answer = Geometry

Euclidean geometry

Euclidean geometry is a mathematical system attributed to Alexandrian Greek mathematician Euclid, which he described in his textbook on geometry: the Elements. Euclid's method consists in assuming a small set of intuitively appealing axioms, and deducing many other propositions (theorems) from these.

Answer = Sugar Ray Leonard

Sugar Ray Robinson (born Walker Smith Jr.; May 3, 1921 – April 12, 1989) was an American professional boxer who competed from 1940 to 1965.

And I thought the word bride meant – to Cook AND Clean

1.       What name do we give to the study of flags?

Vexillology

Vexillology  is the study of the history, symbolism and usage of flags or, by extension, any interest in flags in general. The word is a synthesis of the Latin word vexillum ("flag") and the Greek suffix -logia ("study").

Vexolligy.jpg

Bleak House is a novel by Charles Dickens, first published as a 20-episode serial between March 1852 and September 1853

Richard Carstone is a ward of Chancery in Jarndyce and Jarndyce. Straightforward and likeable but irresponsible and inconstant, Richard falls under the spell of Jarndyce and Jarndyce. At the end of the book, just after Jarndyce and Jarndyce is finally settled, he dies, tormented by his imprudence in trusting to the outcome of a Chancery suit.

Bleakhouse_serial_cover.jpg

3.       What is the boiling point of water on the Fahrenheit scale?

Answer = 212

Farenheit.jpg

Answer = Michelangelo

While many Renaissance artists helped, Michelangelo is the main artist to take credit for this work of art

Originally known as the Cappella Magna, its current name derives from the pope who restored it in 1477- Pope Sixtus IV. The Sistine Chapel is located inside the Vatican Museums and is the private chapel of the pope. It’s also where all of the cardinals from around the world come together to elect a new pope during the conclave.

Chapel.jpg

Grace Patricia Kelly (November 12, 1929 – September 14, 1982) was an American film actress who, after starring in several significant films in the early- to mid-1950s, became Princess of Monaco by marrying Prince Rainier III in April 1956.

Grace_Kelly_MGM_photo.jpg

Answer = Potato

The common black and yellow-striped "potato bug", a very familiar insect to home gardeners, is the most serious insect pest of potatoes. Both the striped beetle and the black-spotted, red larva feed on potato leaves. Their damage can greatly reduce yield and even kill plants. In addition to potato, Colorado potato beetle can be a serious pest of tomato, eggplant, and pepper.

Colorado Beetle.jpg

CERN.jpg

Scooby Doo.jpg

Victus.jpg

Sanzio_01_Euclid.jpg

Sugar-Ray.jpg

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

1.       What name do we give to the study of flags?  Vexioligy……..thanks Big Bang Theory! 

2.       In which Dickens novel does Richard Carstone appear?..............

3.       What is the boiling point of water on the Fahrenheit scale? 212

4.       Who painted the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel?  Michelangelo

5.       In which year was Grace Kelly born?  1934?

6.       The Colorado Beetle attacks which plant in particular?  Potatoes

7.       With what is the organization CER N concerned?  Boson particles

8.       What breed of dog is Scooby Doo?  Great Dane. 

9.       Which part of Britain was called Vectis by the Romans?..........

11.   Euclid is associated with which branch of mathematics?  Geometry

12.   Which boxer’s real name was Walker Smith?  Sugar Ray Robinson. 

19 hours ago, Vic Patterson said:

Yes the Foothills of the Rockies are beautiful, so lucky to have found this place, 5.30 pm looking south, 

IMG_0772.HEIC 4.12 MB · 8 downloads

Never played with a file with a file extension of HEIC before. Had a quick Google of HEIC files and it looks like you would have to Download software, from various sites, that would convert your file  to various other formats including jpeg. However I found a site that allowed you to upload your HEIC file directly to the site and they converted it. 

I downloaded your HEIC file Vic and used a site -  https://heictojpg.com/

By selecting Copy for your file in my Download folder and then Paste in the box the website was displaying the site uploaded, reformatted and then gave me the option to Download the file it had converted to jpg format. I did that and got :-

IMG_0772a.jpg

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)
  • Thanks 1

I'd never have managed that! Thank you!

Lovely view, Vic. I can just see you sitting there of an evening with a cold beer. Is there snow on the peaks all year round? Every time I've flown over the Rocky Mts. I've seen snow but I think it's always been early autumn or late spring. Here's what i look at from my veranda. We've gradually opened up the forest right down to the bottom of the hill. I've lost count of how many trees that's involved but they've heated the house and water for thirty years.

IMG_4125 (2).JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

Never played with a file with a file extension of HEIC before. Had a quick Google of HEIC files and it looks like you would have to Download software, from various sites, that would convert your file  to various other formats including jpeg. However I found a site that allowed you to upload your HEIC file directly to the site and they converted it. 

I downloaded your HEIC file Vic and used a site -  https://heictojpg.com/

By selecting Copy for your file in my Download folder and then Paste in the box the website was displaying the site uploaded, reformatted and then gave me the option to Download the file it had converted to jpg format. I did that and got :-

Well done, and thank you, The photo was taken on my iPhone then just transferred by proximity to my MacBook. creating that odd file, I went back and emailed myself the photo and it came in .jpg I sharnt take short cuts in the future!

Another beautiful area to be blessed with Canny lass, so different from here, I see you have many different  types of trees and bushes,   and I see lots of trees with leaves on, when our leaves come out we loose the view but it does shelter us from the winds, even green grass is a sight to be seen, yes the higher mountains retain the snow but the lower ones it comes and goes. (next snowfall usually comes May long weekend because it's the first ball tournament, now cancelled due to the coved virus)

We can't develop land outside of town (crown land) and are restricted to planned lots, but ours is on a corner and a pie shaped lot, and being on a plateau have an unrestricted view,   

My garden is 2-3 acres! That's the bit nearest the house. Most of it I try to keep looking like woodland so most of those leaf trees are planted by me (saplings  dug up on my travels) or self sown by wind and birds. I found the density of the forest close into the house on all sides rather oppressive when I came here and I've worked to open up and make more 'airy' the space around the house. The Hawthorn bush in the foreground is grown from a pip brought from England, Wooler to be precise! I've also planted in hundreds of Birch saplings. I like the way they move in a breeze. Fir trees are so stiff and lifeless to look at.

I never tire of that view, which I also have from my kitchen window. It's beautiful whatever the time of year whether it be winter:

IMG_0023.JPG

or, my favourite, early autumn when the cold air pressing down on the lakes causes the moisture to rise into the air:

Kvällsdimma 8.JPG

Magical!

Edited by Canny lass
  • Like 3

I wish I had green fingers! I try, but not very good at it, I blame the climate and short growing season for my (outside) failures, The magical photo is very much like here, our local river is called the Smokey River, I believe because of the same effect of the clouds filling the river valleys, amazing to drive through or as I walked down to work  into it.

Oops, sorry, I think I have drifted of topic! but I find it so fascinating. 

You can never 'fail' at gardening Vic. Results can never be wrong, they can only be 'different'. I'm not great at it myself and I try to make the most of natural features which saves time, effort and money. You learn by your mistakes and get a lot of time outdoors in which you're forced to think about things other than what's going on the world. A time for inward reflection and extreme relaxation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vic Patterson said:

I wish I had green fingers! I try, but not very good at it, I blame the climate and short growing season for my (outside) failures, The magical photo is very much like here, our local river is called the Smokey River, I believe because of the same effect of the clouds filling the river valleys, amazing to drive through or as I walked down to work  into it.

Oops, sorry, I think I have drifted of topic! but I find it so fascinating. 

3 hours ago, Canny lass said:

You can never 'fail' at gardening Vic. Results can never be wrong, they can only be 'different'. I'm not great at it myself and I try to make the most of natural features which saves time, effort and money. You learn by your mistakes and get a lot of time outdoors in which you're forced to think about things other than what's going on the world. A time for inward reflection and extreme relaxation.

After man discussion with 4 children who as they grew older were always right and new more than me I would keep my cool in the house and go outdoors and and plant where I wanted, where I knew was best and if they started growing to stringy and going their own way I would nip the heads out and force them to grow the way I wanted then to. None of the plants and shrubs put up any discussion or argument - they just had to accept it. :)

Relax in a garden seat with a pint and a fag, stare at the garden and think - see if yous would just listen and do as your told. These days they definitely all now more than me on about what the youth of today are on about.:rolleyes:

• Like 2

Tuesday 05/05/2020 early start to jokes (and I'll try and not miss out words, spell correctly and quality check what I have typed.🙂)

First one for the blokes - What's worse than ants in your pants?     ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Uncles!

The worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades. 

I think it's wrong that only the one company can make the game Monopoly.

I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like granda. Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now