Friday night is quiz night ('cos I know you've got nothing better to do just now)

Canny lass

Answers to last week's quiz:

1.       Twenty

2.       305, Add 61 to each number

3.       Bohemian Rhapsody

4.       Abraham Lincoln

5.       Joule

6.       Kedgeree

7.       A tree

8.       Seth

9.       Jack Shepherd

10.   Three

11.   String

12.   Crossed swords

New quiz being prepared for tomorrow.

• Like 1

On 25/06/2020 at 16:31, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

Now that our 'lock-down' is over, and your garden and wildlife will be beckoning you, should tomorrow be the last one?

I'll have to find something else to keep me out of mischief on a Thursday and Friday afternoon/night then. Gardening and feeding the wildlife is morning work.

Last quiz, now that Britain is  going to the pub on a Friday again:

1.         Which furniture chain was founded in 1950 in Sweden by Ingvar Kamprad?

2.         Which Sinead O’Connor single topped the charts in 1990?

3.         Sloes are the fruit of which shrub?

4.         By what name is November 1st known?

5.         Which was the first country to win football’s World Cup four times?

6.         Which screen role connects Peter Cushing, Boris Karloff, Sting and Kenneth Branagh?

7.         Which is the only letter worth five points in a game of Scrabble?

8.         What is a young turkey called?

9.         Brian Orser was a world champion in which sport?

10.      What name is given to an isolated mountain peak protruding through an ice sheet?

11.      Which well known Latin phrase means ‘in good faith’?

12.      Whose catchphrase was “Shut that door!”?  

I’ll bet you didn’t know ….

Al Capone’s business card gave his profession as ‘secondhand furniture dealer’.

• Like 1

1.         Which furniture chain was founded in 1950 in Sweden by Ingvar Kamprad? Ikea

4.         By what name is November 1st known? All Saints Day

5.         Which was the first country to win football’s World Cup four times? Uruguay

6.         Which screen role connects Peter Cushing, Boris Karloff, Sting and Kenneth Branagh?

8.         What is a young turkey called? Poult

9.         Brian Orser was a world champion in which sport? Figure skating

10.      What name is given to an isolated mountain peak protruding through an ice sheet? Nunatuk

1.         Which furniture chain was founded in 1950 in Sweden by Ingvar Kamprad?

Answer – IKEA

Answer = Nothing compares 2 U

331572634_2download.jpg.8bd2aa00f7a4d67c70d15307f2e48a39.jpg

Answer = Blackthorn or if you ask wor Simon, who goes out and gathers them, - Prunus spinosa

40492618_3download.jpg.d42bcaf506854126a4dd08fe21e7243c.jpg

4.         By what name is November 1st known?

Answer – All saints day - also known as All Hallows' Day, Hallowmas, the Feast of All Saints, or Solemnity of All Saints.

1608535142_4download.jpg.736829047cbe4d21cbd987e95e3335df.jpg

5.         Which was the first country to win football’s World Cup four times?

Answer - Uraguay

1108695155_5Uraguay.jpg.7b03b623d81144f6598fc68b5e9a5e01.jpg

6.         Which screen role connects Peter Cushing, Boris Karloff, Sting and Kenneth Branagh?

Answer = Frankenstein

Answer  = K

In Words With Friends both the K & V are worth 5 points.

1789067138_7download.jpg.def3900cd1c1873272e76a64b37258bd.jpg

8.         What is a young turkey called?

Answer = poult

From the late 16th century, thousands of geese and turkeys were walked the hundred miles from Norfolk to Leadenhall market in London each year. The journey would take three months and the birds wore special leather boots to protect their feet. Geese wouldn’t allow themselves to be shod (hence the contemporary phrase “to shoe a goose” for something difficult), so their feet were dipped in tar and covered with sand.

8-driving-turkeys.jpg.4aba29348093b347f9b43294c0282fa4.jpg

9.         Brian Orser was a world champion in which sport?

Answer = Ice Skating

Brian Ernest Orser, OC (born 18 December 1961) is a Canadian former competitive and professional figure skater. He is the 1984 and 1988 Olympic silver medallist, 1987 World champion and eight-time (1981–88) Canadian national champion.

1455590337_9download.jpg.3086d6a1c79abb1812c75824405edd04.jpg

10.      What name is given to an isolated mountain peak protruding through an ice sheet?

Answer = Nunatak

Nunatak, isolated mountain peak that once projected through a continental ice sheet or an Alpine-type ice cap. Because they usually occur near the margin of an ice sheet, nunataks were thought to be glacial refuges for vegetation and centres for subsequent reoccupation of the land.

2127095891_10-download.jpg.b096be87daa4a7c762cd9b0175bf9972.jpg

Answer = Bona fides

Answer = Larry Grayson

1443739885_12download.jpg.8ff1e37daf16c236a561e0c26eccdbe1.jpg

Or as my wife would tell you – me.  My kids know what happens when you leave the door open from the South facing warm sitting room into the colder hall way where the thermostat is fitted ie. the warm air rushes into the hall, rises and ups the thermostat level = central heating switches off.

12.jpg.7f82a02d1b523fba136927ce1756c27a.jpg

Al Capone’s business card gave his profession as ‘secondhand furniture dealer’.

Answer = I didn’t

13.jpg.a1d73e13272035dfb5c2393d14f60a73.jpg

6 The_Bride_002.jpg

11 download.png

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)
  • Like 1

Tuesday - one line joke night - Canada's turn - Vic's probably know these :D:-       

What do urine samples and Canadian beer have in common? .......................................................................  The taste!

What are the 2 seasons in Canada? ...........................................................  Winter and July!

What do Canadians sing when they get excited  .............................................................. Who let the sled dogs out!

What is the difference between a Canadian and a canoe? ......................................................................................A canoe tips.

How does a Canadian hold up their hair? ......................................................  With moose.

How do you know Adam was a Canadian? ..............................................................................  Who else could stand beside a naked                                                                                                                                                                                                                           woman and be tempted by a fruit?

• Haha 1

1.       Ikea

2.       Nothing compares 2 U

3.       Blackthorn

4.       All Saints Day

5.       Brazil

6.       Baron Frankenstein

7.       K

8.       Poult

9.       Ice Skating

10.   Nunatak

11.   Bona fide

12.   Larry Grayson

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Everything's fine here, Vic! Day 114 in isolation för the over 70's and not looking like we're to be allowed out any time soon.

On 26/06/2020 at 17:14, Canny lass said:
On 25/06/2020 at 16:31, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

Now that our 'lock-down' is over, and your garden and wildlife will be beckoning you, should tomorrow be the last one?

I'll have to find something else to keep me out of mischief on a Thursday and Friday afternoon/night then. Gardening and feeding the wildlife is morning work.

I thought you's didn't want the quiz anymore so I haven't posted one but I still do the quiz, which I e-mail out on Fridays, for the family and friends. I can mail it to you too, Vic  - or I can start to post it here again. 

• Like 1

On 25/06/2020 at 15:31, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

583174048_ClapforCL.thumb.png.bd07653192284a4123c914933ff8718b.png

On 26/06/2020 at 16:14, Canny lass said:

13 hours ago, Vic Patterson said:

Well! its Friday and no sign of the quiz, hope all is okay! 

@Vic Patterson - you will have to blame me 🙂. As the world was coming out of 'Lock-down' I suggested that Canny Lass had a rest from quizzing, after the last one, and returned to tending to her expansive landscape -  rather than staying indoors searching the www, and her memory, to keep us occupied on a Friday night.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

@Vic Patterson - you will have to blame me 🙂. As the world was coming out of 'Lock-down' I suggested that Canny Lass had a rest from quizzing, after the last one, and returned to tending to her expansive landscape -  rather than staying indoors searching the www, and her memory, to keep us occupied on a Friday night.

The "world" doesn't appear to include us, I'm actually pleased to say in this instance! We've had no 'official' lockdown to come out of  but the majority of folks still seem to be following government recommendations. for which I'm thankfull. We have had a high death rate from Covid but 50% of them occurred in homes for the elderly. That's tragic of course but, to me, it also indicates that the other half  - who, mostly, are going about their business in a sensible manner and following recommendations - have done a fantastic job in keeping the numbers down. Take away the deaths occurring in homes for the elderly and we actually have a very low death rate here. Some other countries complain about our numbers being three times as many as theirs but we have three times the population as well, so I think It's  a little unjustified.

I haven't been short of time for gardening, Eggy. Just the opposite - the garden has had one of its best 'overhauls' in years. It is big, but we have modern machinery to help and we even have wifi out there. No need to sit indoors to use a laptop.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Canny lass said:

I haven't been short of time for gardening, Eggy. Just the opposite - the garden has had one of its best 'overhauls' in years. It is big, but we have modern machinery to help and we even have wifi out there. No need to sit indoors to use a laptop.

We have had to go the opposite = no modern machinery = astro turf and gravel. I can't manage any gardening and Mrs Eggy, Jacquie, who had never gardened before we moved into this bungalow, now has to tend to some small borders but unfortunately she refuses to wear her specs when gardening and what she plants one week gets removed whilst weeding a fortnight later☺️  

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Canny lass said:

Everything's fine here, Vic! Day 114 in isolation för the over 70's and not looking like we're to be allowed out any time soon.

I thought you's didn't want the quiz anymore so I haven't posted one but I still do the quiz, which I e-mail out on Fridays, for the family and friends. I can mail it to you too, Vic  - or I can start to post it here again. 

I'm pleased all is well during these tough times, no cases of covid in Grande Cache so far, everyone being very responsible and respectful and I get to visit daily, only noticeable changes are with the social distancing while in public areas. 

It isn't so much about the quiz it is more about the company! and the banter. Please resume posting! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

We have had to go the opposite = no modern machinery = astro turf and gravel. I can't manage any gardening and Mrs Eggy, Jacquie, who had never gardened before we moved into this bungalow, now has to tend to some small borders but unfortunately she refuses to wear her specs when gardening and what she plants one week gets removed whilst weeding a fortnight later☺️  

I find if it comes out easy it was a flower, if it is tough then has to be a weed! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here's last Friday's quiz, Vic. Answers on Thursday as usual:

1.         Who was the first American to orbit the earth?

2.         Who was the ‘fastest mouse in all Mexico’?

3.         With which branch of medicine is Mesmer associated?

4.         What colour is a moonstone?

5.         Which Irish county is Blarney in?

6.         What do deltiologists collect?

7.         What type of tree is a Pirus Malus?

8.         What is a labret?

9.         A pearl wedding celebrates how many years of marriage?

10.      In which town do the Flintstones live?

11.      Which football player advertised Brut in the 1980s?

12.      If B is Bravo and N is November, what is S? 

The custom of carrying a flaming torch from Athens to the site of the Olympic Games was started by Adolf Hitler in 1936.

• Like 1

1.         Who was the first American to orbit the earth? John Glenn

2.         Who was the ‘fastest mouse in all Mexico’? Gonzales

3.         With which branch of medicine is Mesmer associated?

4.         What colour is a moonstone? Blue

5.         Which Irish county is Blarney in? Cork

6.         What do deltiologists collect?

7.         What type of tree is a Pirus Malus? 

8.         What is a labret?

9.         A pearl wedding celebrates how many years of marriage? 30

10.      In which town do the Flintstones live? Bedrock

11.      Which football player advertised Brut in the 1980s? 

12.      If B is Bravo and N is November, what is S? Sierra

Now time for Google!

• Like 1

1.         Who was the first American to orbit the earth?

Answer = John Glenn - February 20, 1962

1682856609_1JohnGlenn.jpg.2bd4e1b62fc5d4fdc0e037ed606255fb.jpg

John Glenn became the first American to orbit Earth. From Cape Canaveral, Florida, John Hershel Glenn Jr.  was successfully launched into space aboard the Friendship 7 spacecraft.

2.         Who was the ‘fastest mouse in all Mexico’?

Answer = Speedy Gonzales

2Speedy.jpg.2037d473b98fab26324d7921734d603b.jpg

Speedy Gonzales was fast enough to travel a 30 meter run in about 3 seconds. That's 22.3694 MPH.

3.         With which branch of medicine is Mesmer associated?

Answer = Hypnotism

1689483040_3Hyp.jpg.d467801a164192570e6cdf3cedddb991.jpg

1968 – I was hypnotised, on stage, at the Domino night club but I can’t remember the name of the guy – David ??????

4.         What colour is a moonstone?

Answer = Adularescence OR a wide range of body colours =  white,  grey, brown, pink, orange, green, yellow and colourless.

736828169_4Moonstone.jpg.d21a9b1c9170b54e10f483329b0e98e8.jpg

5.         Which Irish county is Blarney in?

Answer = Cork

Did you know that after you do kiss the Blarney Stone, also referred to as the Stone of Eloquence, legend has it you will be bestowed with the gift of gab? People have been visiting Blarney for over 200 years to kiss the Blarney Stone.

1648297347_5Blarney.jpg.a544bf2c7132b3e6e475fd7685cec8c5.jpg

6.         What do deltiologists collect?

Answer = postcards

= sadness + stamps

6Postcard_collection.JPG.4d5744c1e80628285f6225c4a8638511.JPG

7.         What type of tree is a Pirus Malus?

Answer = deciduous  ( apple )

7apple.thumb.jpg.d7602c745cba45a2ed5dee4bfd1e9baa.jpg

8.         What is a labret?

Answer = stud

8labaret.jpg.a3c92e0b2e58a9adf41401a8c1e9b5fa.jpg

9.         A pearl wedding celebrates how many years of marriage?

Answer = 30

9pearl.jpg.4522797cd6c8516ea394f0020a89b1c0.jpg

10.      In which town do the Flintstones live?

Answer = Bedrock

10Bedrock.jpg.40e87001fef3f68d49fad2be21294880.jpg

11.      Which football player advertised Brut in the 1980s?

Answer = Kevin Keegan – alongside Henry Cooper.

11Brut.jpg.60a303dd05a43d16452f3b88ebe1fc42.jpg

12.      If B is Bravo and N is November, what is S?

Answer = Sierra

12Nato.jpg.3913696708cceeb7e20e319f32eb5bff.jpg

The custom of carrying a flaming torch from Athens to the site of the Olympic Games was started by Adolf Hitler in 1936.

I didn’t.

1445389902_13Idid.jpg.99f88166037595a3e91aacdd32393e6a.jpg

The Olympic flame was introduced to the modern Games in 1928 when it burnt atop a pillar above the stadium in Amsterdam. Four years later the same was repeated in Los Angeles. At both of these events the flame was lit on site at the stadium. Carl Diem devised the idea of the torch relay for the 1936 Summer Olympics in Berlin that was organized by the Nazi Party under the guidance of Joseph Goebbels. The process was ratified by the International Olympic Committee and has been repeated at all the Games that have followed.

• Like 1

1.       John Glenn

2.       Speedy Gonzales

3.       Hypnotism

4.       White or Bluish white, but variations can occur

5.       Cork

6.       Postcards

7.       Apple tree

8.       A lip ornament

9.       30

10.   Bedrock

11.   Kevin Keegan

12.   Sierra

• Like 2

Here we go again:

1.         In which 1984 film did Sean Connery return as James Bond after a 13 year gap?

2.         What in the building trade is called ‘harling’ in Scotland?

3.         Who was the first woman to participate in the University Boat Race?

4.         In which country was Salman Rushdie born?

5.         What sort of creature is a pipistrelle?

6.         Helleborus niger is better known as which perennial plant?

7.         Which animal is Canada’s official emblem?

8.         Which word meaning ‘divine wind’ describes suicide missions of Japanese pilots?

9.         Who, in the bible, was the youngest son of jacob?

10.      Which letter of the Greek alphabet is the equivalent to T?

11.      The 1969 Eurovision Song Contest ended in a four-way tie between France, UK, Spain and which other country?

12.      What is Magnesium Sulphate called when used as a laxative? 

Oliver Cromwell passed a law forbidding anyone to eat mince pies or Christmas pudding.

Answers on Thursday.

1.         In which 1984 film did Sean Connery return as James Bond after a 13 year gap?

2.         What in the building trade is called ‘harling’ in Scotland? Plasterer/Mason

4.         In which country was Salman Rushdie born? India

5.         What sort of creature is a pipistrelle? Bat

6.         Helleborus niger is better known as which perennial plant? Buttercup

7.         Which animal is Canada’s official emblem? Beaver 

8.         Which word meaning ‘divine wind’ describes suicide missions of Japanese pilots? Kamakaze

9.         Who, in the bible, was the youngest son of Jacob?

11.      The 1969 Eurovision Song Contest ended in a four-way tie between France, UK, Spain and which other country?

12.      What is Magnesium Sulphate called when used as a laxative? Milk of Magnesia

Edited by Vic Patterson

3 hours ago, Canny lass said:

1.         In which 1984 film did Sean Connery return as James Bond after a 13 year gap?          Never say never again

2.         What in the building trade is called ‘harling’ in Scotland?                                                     Trowel

4.         In which country was Salman Rushdie born?

5.         What sort of creature is a pipistrelle?                                                                                       Bat

6.         Helleborus niger is better known as which perennial plant?                                                  Rose

7.         Which animal is Canada’s official emblem?                                                                              Beaver

8.         Which word meaning ‘divine wind’ describes suicide missions of Japanese pilots?        Kamikaze   

9.         Who, in the bible, was the youngest son of jacob?                                                                   David 

11.      The 1969 Eurovision Song Contest ended in a four-way tie between France, UK, Spain and which other country?  Norway

12.      What is Magnesium Sulphate called when used as a laxative?                                               Epsom salts

That's as good as I can do. I wouldn't make the pub quiz team.

11 hours ago, Jammy said:

That's as good as I can do. I wouldn't make the pub quiz team.

The nice thing about this quiz is that, unlike a pub quiz, you are allowed to google for the answer, thereby building up a mountain of knowledge that  will probably never be used again. But it puts an hour to use on a Friday evening.

On 18/07/2020 at 08:03, Canny lass said:

The nice thing about this quiz is that, unlike a pub quiz, you are allowed to google for the answer, thereby building up a mountain of knowledge that  will probably never be used again. But it puts an hour to use on a Friday evening.

I used to enjoy a pub quiz, with a few mates and their wives. Good company - good beer - good food and very little success.:D

These days I don't retain the knowledge -  actually it was the same in my school days:rolleyes:. Back at school I just knew where to find the answers = less to remember and I could get outside with more time to play.:thumbsup: and today Google has reduced the the number of reference books I acquired. I didn't really buy books for me, they were for the kids to look for the answers i couldn't give them.

Now maths, up to 'O' level, was simple. No need to read, once you had learned the basics = 2 to 10 times tables the rest was easy and if the answer didn't come automatically you could work it out wit a pencil - no need to stare into the depths of the memory hoping the answer would jump out.

I only passed maths 'O' level. Not because I didn't retain sufficient info, it was because back in 1965 they deducted 1/2 a mark for every spelling mistake. I remember in the Mock GCSEs the English teacher said - Edgar you passed then we deducted the spelling mistakes, you failed.:ball:

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)
  • Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now