Thelma Collingwood

My name is Thelma Collingwood i was born in Cramlington in 1949. I have recently been contacted by members of the Collingwood family as far as New Zealand on Ancestery enquiring about family past and present. My grandfather who was killed in Action WWI James Robert Collingwood  born in Glebe Row or Road Bedlington. He had siblings George also killed in WW1, John i know some of his family, Frederick, Eleanor, Sarah, Margaret Anne. We believe there are more siblings. My great grandparents were Charles and Annie, Charles was from Keelby Lincolnshire and settled in Bedlington. If anyone is part of this family of Collingwoods please reply to this message so we can get in touch. 

Thelma Collingwood

@Thelma Collingwood - welcome to the group. I don't know anyone with the surname Collingwood but there is a method within this group of searching for words or phrase (wrapped in "...."). If you type the word Collingwood into the search box, top right hand corner and then hit send then an extract from any entry in the group with that word will be displayed. You can then select that extract and view the whole topic. 

You will see from the search that I did the name Collingwood appears in one of the entries posted in the  Gallery within an Album  called 'Netherton Colliery Band'. 

Project1.jpg

Project2.jpg

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

14 hours ago, Thelma Collingwood said:

Thankyou Alan i did what you suggested and two Collingwood names appeared. I have sent them messages hoping i will get a reply. Thankyou once again.

Regards

Thelma Collingwood

There aren't many active members Thelma so  you may not be lucky:(.

If you 'hover' over the name tag of the person you are interested in the system displays a bit of info about the member that includes the date that person last visited the site.

Project1.jpg

Another method of attempting to notify a member of the  group of a comment you have made is by starting your comment with the members name preceded by the @ character. Yon can select the members name you are attempting to notify from the list of names the system displays and the name will be surrounded with a blue box and then you just type your comment and the sytem sends a notification to the member you have selected..

Project3.jpg

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

• 1 month later...

@Thelma Collingwood - this photo posted on the Facebook group Bygone Bedlington by Mick Cunningham. The surname 'Collingwood' gets memntioned in quite a few comments.

@Canny lass - this lot old than you but you never know you might recognise one or two. 

Mick Cunningham Netherton named.jpg

19 hours ago, Canny lass said:

14 has some of the facial features of the Halliday family but I can't say with any certainty  that it's one of them. Maybe the suggestion of 'Halliday' might jog someone else's memory.

Updated No 14, with '?' and reposted the photo onthe Facebook group yesterday but no response to the update when I checked this morning🙃

• Like 1

On 30/04/2020 at 11:40, Canny lass said:

Probably not a Halliday then but thanks for trying.

Joan Morland off the Bygone Bedlington Facebook group says No 14 is Nellie Halliday.

I have added the updated photo into the Gallery>Historic Bedlington>Netherton/Nedderton old photos 2.

Mick Cunningham Netherton named.jpg

That's right! Now that Joan's jogged my memory I remember the name, Nellie.

I can also add that I think thr photo is taken outside Netherton Club. I remember the metal rail they are sitting on (the only one of its kind in Netherton. I've spent many hours sitting on that waiting for my dad to come out with a jar of mussels for me (loved them then but can't stand them now). The pillars that can be seen behind are the front of the veranda that used to run along the front between the club entrance and the barkeeper's accommodation.

Edited by Canny lass

11 minutes ago, Canny lass said:

That's right! Now that Joan's jogged my memory I remember the name, Nellie.

I can also add that I think thr photo is taken outside Netherton Club. I remember the metal rail they are sitting on (the only one of its kind in Netherton. I've spent many hours sitting on that waiting for my dad to come out with a jar of mussels for me (loved them then but can't stand them now). The pillars that can be seen behind are the front of the veranda that used to run along the front between the club entrance and the barkeeper's accommodation.

Would that be what I knew as The Naval Club ?

Netherton club front.jpg

Yes, that's it. I think you can just make out where the veranda roof had been against the accommodation to the left. The veranda disappeared during my childhood. I don't know why. The photo of the children may have been what we called 'gala' day. In my time it was held on the field opposite the institute, behind the school and Mullen's garage but I know from my older relatives that it had also been held on the field outside the club - the field those children are looking onto. In my day the food for the event was provided from the institute but it may previously have been provided from the club. 

• 5 months later...

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now