Alcoholic Beverages

Mr Darn

i was sitting in the cafeteria of my pennymaking experience the other day and we started a conversation about this very subject, the results were....boring to be honest, but still had a theme...

mainly their were difforent paths youths take in their experience of alcohol.

mine, as with most others in the conversation, went like this:

age 13: pinching the odd can of lager, then sprawling about the local 'hangout' exclaiming 'am mortal me like how' and being an !*!@# .

age 15: the cider age. bottles of white lightening, old english (if you had a few quid), woodpecker and blackthorn each weekend, 20-20 if you could get it!

age 16-17: vodka, starting with a quarter bottle, but swiftly moving up to 70cl.(mostly throwing up 50cl before you get home)

age 17-18 out in bars, getting refused, drinking pints of lager (5 got you mortal)

age 19+: starting with lager, moving on to spirits aroung 9.30-10pm. pizza or chips on way home, maybe a kabab

age 25: and this is where i differ: guinness, mainly mixed with cider if out for a pissup, lager if out with the squeeze.

age 28: considering moving to john smiths/ale. cheeper and less of a hangover

anyone else follow this pattern?

i was sitting in the cafeteria of my pennymaking experience the other day and we started a conversation about this very subject, the results were....boring to be honest, but still had a theme...

mainly their were difforent paths youths take in their experience of alcohol.

mine, as with most others in the conversation, went like this:

age 13: pinching the odd can of lager, then sprawling about the local 'hangout' exclaiming 'am mortal me like how' and being an !*!@# .

age 15: the cider age. bottles of white lightening, old english (if you had a few quid), woodpecker and blackthorn each weekend, 20-20 if you could get it!

age 16-17: vodka, starting with a quarter bottle, but swiftly moving up to 70cl.(mostly throwing up 50cl before you get home)

age 17-18 out in bars, getting refused, drinking pints of lager (5 got you mortal)

age 19+: starting with lager, moving on to spirits aroung 9.30-10pm. pizza or chips on way home, maybe a kabab

age 25: and this is where i differ: guinness, mainly mixed with cider if out for a pissup, lager if out with the squeeze.

age 28: considering moving to john smiths/ale. cheeper and less of a hangover

anyone else follow this pattern?

I didn't follow the path you took but I do recall the first time I had a pint it was in the Clayton I had a pint of Charingtons bitter it cost one and thrupence in the old money, I was nearly eighteen then. It was Fedaration bitter in the clubs and Vauxes in the Railway most of the other pubs sold Newcastle ordinary or exibition, I think the Monkey was a Charingtons pub then. dont remember any larger in those days except Carling Black label which as I recall was considered a ladies drink.

Did have a Cider phase it was a bit like drinking pop but it had a kick. Ah the magic Newcastle exibition made me do things I would not have done without a pint of the lovely stuff, wake up the next morning just wanting to forget what I did the night before.

I stick to Guinness these days, love the stuff.

Pete