Wilson’s Yard

Stuart

Would anyone know where Wilson’s Yard was/is?

Apparently  my great grandfather lived there in 1881 and worked as a “servant” for the Wilson family. His actual trade was  blacksmith, so I’m assuming he was employed to look after their horses. 

@Stuart & @Canny lass - this is a map and comment that Eilleen Brooks - facebook group Bygone Bedlington, posted on the 8th November 2019 when a member was asking if anyone knew where Drummonds Yard used to be :- 

Judging from the census report- Drummond's Yard was between Wilson's Yard and the Sun Inn, on the High Street. I have one map that shows Wilson's Yard but not Drummond's (unfortunately copyright means I cannot display it). I have indicated on the map below where I believe it to have been (one of the two yards next to Wilson's) Hope this helps.

Wilsons Yard.jpg

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Canny lass said:

Bedlington's 'yards' are fascinating places! All sorts of life were encapsulated in them! 1860's map is interesting for @Stuart because the 'Smithy' is also noted on the map.

Found a slightly clearer map - 1895 - with Wilsons yard and Smithy on :- 

1895.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you all so much! Such speedy responses, and such helpful detail. I hadn’t realised that these maps were available: thank you very much for sharing. A further perusal of these old maps will be called for as I track down the other addresses where my forebears lived, and then maybe a trip to Bedlington! 

13 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Thank you all so much! Such speedy responses, and such helpful detail. I hadn’t realised that these maps were available: thank you very much for sharing. A further perusal of these old maps will be called for as I track down the other addresses where my forebears lived, and then maybe a trip to Bedlington! 

Stuart :- these are the links I use, and have saved in my favourites, to search for places in Bedlington :- 

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/find/#zoom=12&lat=55.1358&lon=-1.6409&layers=102&b=1&z=1&point=55.1326,-1.5691

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/427570/581434/10/100708

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now