Colway Tyres

Can anybody remember a small shop on the Choppington bank,in Storey's Buildings,[where a lived in 1947],what sold budget tyres with the brand name of "Colway" on the sidewalls?

The guy was as straight as a die when it came to taking a faulty tyre back,nae messing aboot....changed as quick as a flash!

A think he might have been the forst one ti deal in budget and remould tyres in this area,even before Gerry's Wasp in Ashington!

Alan Dixon will knaa,cos he lived there then,aam sure!

Come in Alan ,wheor are ye!!

A got two of the Colway tyres put on me wee Ford Anglia 105E  997 cc in aroond 1970-ish...![ a think they were aboot a fiver each,or summik silly like that!]

On 03/01/2020 at 01:21, HIGH PIT WILMA said:

Alan Dixon will knaa,cos he lived there then,aam sure!

Come in Alan ,wheor are ye!!

The last entry I can find for 'Alan dickson' is 2014 :- 

Alan dickson.jpg

@HIGH PIT WILMA - so I posted your comment on the Facebook group - Barrington, Barnt' n  memories and stuff!! - that Alan Dickson is Admin of. Alan's couldn't remember any stories etc and replied with :- 

Alan Dickson
Alan DicksonoJUaDQAiBQe.png Yes there was Alan, I was living next to the Chapel at the time, took over the shop where Yarrows were,
Bloke had a tash on.
Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

@HIGH PIT WILMA - another comment on the Barrington Facebook group :-

Peter JonesI remember the bullet shop, then the tyre shop. The fella had a moustache curly hair and had something about his eyes, I was only a kid in the sixties, but my father used to know him i believe.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Alan,thanks for the info,so my memory isn't as bad as a a thowt it waas!..a cud picture the fella wi thi tash..it was a really tick tash,and a mop of corly hair,but his voice soonded like he was diluted ethnic,but aa cudn't put me finger where he might have have been from.

A dae knaa that he was a fast taaka but as far as aa was concerned,nowt was a problem ti him,he used ti say repeatedly..."...This is how I do business my friend,it is no good for business if I am not nice with you...I will change your tyres for new ones ,no problem..and if you are still not happy..you come back and I will give you your money back....."..he came over as a real genuine guy,but maybe others might not agree if they had a bad experience with the guy!

Cheers Alan,divvent forget where a live,if ya passing and the motor is there!

P.S. Please pass my thanks on to Alan Dickson if ye dinna mind!!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now