Bedlington railway station

Steve D

Hi to all and thanks for allowing me to join the group.

I was born and raised at “ the station” and share a lot of the same memories as others that I have read about on this site.

I am  currently living in cheshire and being retired have decided to try my hand at building a model railway as a hobby. I am hoping to recreate some of my childhood memories by building the model based on Bedlington railway station and surrounding area as it was in the 1950’s. While doing some research I have seen some great photos on this site and others that will help towards this. The one photo that I’ve not found yet is a photo of the front (roadside) entrance to the station taken before the centre section was removed. If anyone has a copy of one that I could use or knows where I might find one it would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers, Steve

• Like 1

@Steve D - if you haven't already viewed it the  http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/sites.shtml has quite a few images of the station 

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/b/bedlington/index.shtml - but none from the front.

However there are still a couple of images showing the front and Google Street view is also a good way of having a look :- 

view from Clayton Street.jpg

BedlingtonStation_Old_Postcard.jpg

2019 Bedlington Station aerial view.jpg

2016 Bedlington North junction.jpg

2016 Bedlington North junction2.jpg

2016 Bedlington North junction3.jpg

2016 Bedlington South junction.jpg

2016 Bedlington South junction looking East.jpg

2016 street view.jpg

2016 stret view from Clayton Corner.jpg

2016 stret view from Clayton Street.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bedlingtonian said:

I am sure I enjoyed crossing the footbridge over the main track when I was younger however I can not remember when it was destroyed! :iiam:  

I am told it was around 1973 when the  footbridge was removed:). Never seen any photos of it being demolished.

43070leavingBedlington'D'Pitmod1.jpg

BedlingtonStationLevelCrossing_1972.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply,links and photos Alan, I had seen some of them but not all. As you said no photos taken from the front entrance but hopefully one will turn up eventually. I was up north earlier this year and spent an enjoyable couple of hours walking from the Bedlington north signal box down to the black bridge and back taking some measurements etc and seeing how it looks today.

• Like 1

Hi Steve,welcome to the forum,a canna help ye,but hope others can.

Wasn't it a bit daft wat the kids did in them days..if they saw a too-too coming,they would fly up them steps to get among the coals smoke and steam,laughing and giggling!

Pure and simple pleasure,which cost knowt except probably a year or two of their lives!..intense heated coal tar,Sulpher,and a million other nasties straight down their throats and lungs!! aaahh...happy days!

12 hours ago, Steve D said:

Hi Wilma,  as you say running up the bridge steps was a simple pleasure enjoyed by many. The area around the colliery and station was where many an adventure was to be had.

1924 aerial view of the 'A' pit :-

A Pit aerial shot 1924 with names (2).jpg

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now