Bedlington History Society 2019/2020

Maggie/915

• 1 month later...

Monday 25th will be a good meeting .

John Grundy is giving the talk.

Last month was excellent . A talk on Smail’s shop in Morpeth. There were a host of funny stories both from the talk and the memories of the audience.                         
Living back in the ‘ Shire’  is very relaxing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maggie/915 said:

Monday 25th will be a good meeting .

John Grundy is giving the talk.

Last month was excellent . A talk on Smail’s shop in Morpeth. There were a host of funny stories both from the talk and the memories of the audience.                         
Living back in the ‘ Shire’  is very relaxing.

Cheers @Maggie/915 - I have posted your comment on the Bygone Bedlington Facebook group where in response to some info I posted about the Seven Sisters on the Ha'penny side of the river one member replied :-  Margaret Speller -  Thanky ou for this information, I'd never heard about this.  Bedlington is certainly a wonderful place to live. 
I'd love to join a history group.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

September History Walk 25th at 1:30 . Everyone to meet at the War Memorial 

I was going to post about this walk nearer the time.

David Cowan is very knowledgeable about all things Bedlington . It should be an interesting walk .

In the Shire we have so much history spanning the centuries . Sometimes the experts do not agree which keeps my interest . 
Last night a programme on Sir Walter Scott on BBC4 made reference to Border Tales . We are lucky to live in this area . So much inspiration for everyone .
Maybe I  am biased ..

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Canny lass said:

What a pity I don't live nearer! I hope that @lilbill15 can give us a short written account of the walk.

2 hours ago, Canny lass said:

What a pity I don't live nearer! I hope that @lilbill15 can give us a short written account of the walk.

Will do 🌈x

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/09/2021 at 16:10, Canny lass said:

Greetings @Canny lass!x Short account indeed. Approximately 30 people gathered, majority members and about 10 newbies. David addressed the group from his position on the steps, suggested we all crowd close to him to hear him: some people were reluctant given long-standing advice about keeping safe distance while COVID  is still prevalent. The history of the surrounding buildings was described giving particular reference to “the Sun Inn murders “ and David’s forebears involvement. Just as the group were moving on towards the Market Place a lady became unwell and lost consciousness, needing assistance. The group carried on regardless while the retired nurse and friend StJohn’s member attended to the lady, until she was recovered enough to be collected by her husband and taken home. Nurse and StJohn person caught up with the group as they crossed over to the Market square to be informed about the buildings present and previously. Then on to the Grapes, can’t remember the next bit. The noise from passing traffic made it difficult to hear a lot of what was being said, I did hear that David thought the TSB building was sympathetic to the previous building. Moved on again to the Trotter memorial, adjacent to the site of the old Poorhouse,  replaced by the buildings of the undertakers business. David began recounting an issue with a schoolteacher when he was 6/7 years old and his father’s response. Sadly I had to leave at that point to catch a bus home; passing the few people left by the memorial it looked that the tour had concluded and a few were just chatting before moving off. @Josimarsz 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice to see there was a  good turnout, it's a pity they (David) didn't have a handout to enable everyone follow the tour especially with the noise from the traffic, it would also serve to remind one of the tour and share with others, I hope the unwell lady recovered and was updated about the tour.

• Like 2

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now