Carr's Buildings - where were they?

Has anyone any idea where Carrs Buildings were in Bedlington? I have just found entries in me grannies old family bible that shows both my mam, Nancy Henderson born 1920, and her brother Martin, born 1921, with Carr's Buildings next to their D.o.B.. The next 7 children in the family, born between 1923 & 1937, have Haig Road next to their D.o.B. As me granda worked at the Dr. Pit I would guess Carr's buildings were either on the Glebe Bank or Vulcan Place - Beach Grove area. I have searched the old maps; Googled the www and checked on the Bedlington Facebook and community groups but Carr's Buildings doesn't get a mention. The only mention of Carr's I can find is in the Bedlington Timeline document = 1854 William Carr begins Bedlington's first newsagents in January. It was situated on Front Street East - but no idea if this man was linked to Carr's Buildings:huh:.

@Rigger -  @Canny lass - have either of you two remember if you have found any entries for Carr's Buildings into your respective searches of the area? 

@HIGH PIT WILMA - was there a Carr's Buildings behind Front Street East before you got to Hollymount?

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

36 minutes ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

Has anyone any idea where Carrs Buildings were in Bedlington? I have just found entries in me grannies old family bible that shows both my mam, Nancy Henderson born 1920, and her brother Martin, born 1921, with Carr's Buildings next to their D.o.B.. The next 7 children in the family, born between 1923 & 1937, have Haig Road next to their D.o.B. As me granda worked at the Dr. Pit I would guess Carr's buildings were either on the Glebe Bank or Vulcan Place - Beach Grove area. I have searched the old maps; Googled the www and checked on the Bedlington Facebook and community groups but Carr's Buildings doesn't get a mention. The only mention of Carr's I can find is in the Bedlington Timeline document = 1854 William Carr begins Bedlington's first newsagents in January. It was situated on Front Street East - but no idea if this man was linked to Carr's Buildings:huh:.

@Rigger -  @Canny lass - have either of you two remember if you have found any entries for Carr's Buildings into your respective searches of the area? 

@HIGH PIT WILMA - was there a Carr's Buildings behind Front Street East before you got to Hollymount?

Forgot to add the extract from the old bible :- 

Dates Martin & Mary2.JPG

ps - I've had 5 attempts to get this file to load so it can be read from top to bottom without twisting one's neck. I've resized it  by reducing the height and width - changed just the height - changed just the width but no matter what I do it loads the same = as above🤔

Hi Alan! If aa can get my bent aad neck aroond it then aal thi young cheds'll hae nae botha !

Enywheh!..Aa went ti schyuul wi a lad caaled John Henderson,from Haig Road,[a think..definitely owa that way..],and a few years later as the High pit closed,[6 years ti be exact],aa was transferred ti Bedltn Aad pit,as yi knaa.

Noo a worked wi a canny quiet aader fella caaled Tony Henderson,sumtimes,cos a was wat was caaled a "Spare Man",through being transferred from anotha pit.

So through a process of conversation,it turned oot that Tony was the Father of the aforementioned John,who was my young classmate from aged 5 yrs,in 1949! ..smaal world,and a wonder if Tony was a relative of those entered in your Granny's Bible.

My Wife's Uncle John Oliver,from Puddler's Row,entered the dates of death of all his family and friends in his diary...nothing else of local interest...just deaths..."...Joe Broon died today"...in that manner!

In them days,wi pit disasters,and diseases locally,such as Diptheria,Polio,Typhoid,etc,people died young and it would seem like every other day somebody would lose a family member or friend.

Mind,having said that,Mary Ann Hall,was born in 1899,and died in 1991,according to the entry in your posting,so she reached a grand old age...102!! 

Noo! Carr's Buildings ring a bell,but a just canna bring it fully ti mind..thi only buildings doon aside Hollymount Square were Front street east,Vicarage Terrace,Bell's Place,and Hollymount Terrace,and Avenue,which are back to back terraces,and where my Sister,and her Daughter still live.

Surely they can be found on the old Ordnance survey maps..or even on more modern [1950's..?]maps of the area?

Best of luck Alan,if aa find owt oot aal post it!

@HIGH PIT WILMA - last attempt. Loaded a family photo and it loaded as expected the right way up. Clagged the extract from the family bible onto the family photo , saved it and loaded that and hey presto you don't have to get ya bent aad neck aroond :).

ps - grannie Henderson - March 1899 to April 1991 = 92. Still a good age but the one think that really upset her was having so many of her her children, and their spouse, + grandchildren die before her. 

Hendersons1947.jpg

21 hours ago, HIGH PIT WILMA said:

Noo! Carr's Buildings ring a bell,but a just canna bring it fully ti mind..thi only buildings doon aside Hollymount Square were Front street east,Vicarage Terrace,Bell's Place,and Hollymount Terrace,and Avenue,which are back to back terraces,and where my Sister,and her Daughter still live.

Surely they can be found on the old Ordnance survey maps..or even on more modern [1950's..?]maps of the area?

Best of luck Alan,if aa find owt oot aal post it!

Me youngest cousin, in the Henderson family, reckons she saw an entry on one of the ancestry sites saying :- It was an ally way between the midland bank and the cobblers aside the opticians just on the rise.

Don't have any concrete proof but this could be it on one of Foxy's photos :-

10515337_388136701387681_5611461644712620131_o.jpg

I can tell you that Carr's Buildings doesn't appear in any of the 19 enumerators books in the 1911 census. By that I mean the book into which he transcribed the information given on the individual census forms. However, 1911 was a good year for researchers because we even have accesss to the individual census forms filled in by the householders. My experience tells me that, not infrequently, the street name given by the householder and the street name given by the enumerator are not the same. Carr's buildings may just have been the name given by the residents themselves. If I can get a bit of time over today I'll have a wander up Front street (through the census forms) and see if any resident has used that name.

2 hours ago, Canny lass said:

I can tell you that Carr's Buildings doesn't appear in any of the 19 enumerators books in the 1911 census. By that I mean the book into which he transcribed the information given on the individual census forms. However, 1911 was a good year for researchers because we even have accesss to the individual census forms filled in by the householders. My experience tells me that, not infrequently, the street name given by the householder and the street name given by the enumerator are not the same. Carr's buildings may just have been the name given by the residents themselves. If I can get a bit of time over today I'll have a wander up Front street (through the census forms) and see if any resident has used that name.

@Canny lass - thank you for checking but don't put too much time into this as this is just my curiosity as I couldn't find the name Carr's Buildings on any site I use, and I was just hoping someone may have heard of it.

This time of year, whilst it's still light, you will have loads of your own stuff to do before those days of more darkness than light creep up on your land for the winter months :( 

In researching a family tree I have come across relatives who lived in Carr’s Buildings, Scotland Gate, Choppington. In the 1911 census there is a family called Carr living in the same block as my relative. I have scoured old maps to no avail, although there are several groups of named buildings in the Choppington area.

1 hour ago, Newbedders said:

In researching a family tree I have come across relatives who lived in Carr’s Buildings, Scotland Gate, Choppington. In the 1911 census there is a family called Carr living in the same block as my relative. I have scoured old maps to no avail, although there are several groups of named buildings in the Choppington area.

Thanks for that @Newbedders - I had looked on the old maps around Scotland gate as my granny used to live at Whinney Hill and she was married at St. Pauls Church Choppintong in 1918. As you say no Carr's Buildings anywhere on the old maps - Scotland Gate has Rutter's - Fenwick's - Strong's - Foster's & Pringle's Buildings.

As far as I am aware my grandfather, Martin Hhenderson, only ever worked at the Doctor Pit - but I could be wrong on that. His family were from Bentick, Newcastle so how he met a Choppinton lass I have no idea.:) 

But it's nothing important I was just curious when I noticed Carr's Bldgs next to the first two of their children  - Haig Road, Bedlington  for the rest.

This postcard, my grannie's sister,  also has Carr's Bldgs, Bedlington written on the back.

Postcard to Carrs Bldgs.jpg

On 08/08/2019 at 18:00, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

The Record of Enlistement shows a Carr's Yard, Front Street with a family called Hinson living there ( Thomas Hinson,  died WW1)

10 minutes ago, Rigger said:

The Record of Enlistement shows a Carr's Yard, Front Street with a family called Hinson living there ( Thomas Hinson,  died WW1)

Cheers @Rigger - that's the closest yet of a reference to Carrs in Bedlington. As Newbeeders discovered there was a Carrs Buldings, Scotland Gate, in the 1911 census and as my granda and grandma were married at St Pauls, Choppington I am beging to wonder if my granda worked at Choppington pit before moving to the Dr Pit.      

• 2 weeks later...

@HIGH PIT WILMA - @Canny lass - @Newbedders - @Rigger

Although this is only word of mouth it's the best statement I have heard on Carr's Buildings :).

My cousin was talking to her mam, Flo -  aged 81, and mentioned I was looking for the Carrs Buildings where me mam, Nancy Henderson and her brother Martin lived - 1920 to 1923 - before they moved to Haig Road.  I had never asked my aunt Flo as she was born and lived in Barrington. Anyway my cousin passed on the bits her mam had said :- 

Mam reckons that Carr’s buildings was opposite where Moby Dicks is now - on the bank where the dual carriageway is in Bedlington?! x

and 

She’s fairly convinced about it - said dad would know better as Aunty Elsie lived there?!

and finally 

mam reckons it was the 40’s when it would have been knocked down - also recalls going for ration books or stamps from some office near there x

Now I know my mam's aunt Elsie had lived in Elenbel Avenue (off Stead Lane, near the Oval) since they were built in the 1940's. So It looks like my granda & grandma Henderson shared a place in Carrs Buildings with my granda's sister, Elsie  Isabella Henderson (married 1940 to William Humble - killed in 1941 WWII (so I' told)). Elsie and her 3 step sons moving to Elenbel Avenue when they were first built.

In one of Evan Martin's books he has this image of the Food Office on the Glebe bank. So I am guessing that one of the buildings to the left, (as you look at the photo), of the Food Bank  was Carrs Buuldings. 

Glebe Road.jpg

This is a real mystery! I couldn’t find Carr’s Buildings anywhere on (or leading off from) Front Street in the 1911 census and I can’t find it anywhere on (or leading off from) Glebe Row. The address ‘Carr’s Buildings’ just doesn’t seem to appear anywhere.

However, it seems to have been a time of great confusion as far as the street names of Bedlington go.

According to the enumerator, the whole of what we now call Front Street West was then called ‘High Street’ but no resident uses this name – most of them preferring to use ‘Front Street’ instead. Some dwellings were given specific names by the residents, in particular those that had a specific  function, such as public houses, and those side streets and yards having their common entrance from the main road. From the Market place and heading north towards the Red Lion, the residents call these:

Mason’s Arms, King’s Arms, Brewery Yard, Old Brewery House (home of Dr. Trotter), St.Cuthbert House, Howard Terrace (3 dwellings), Foggan’s Yard (12 dwellings, mostly 1 room), Baptist Yard West End (16 dwellings of 1-2 rooms) and West End – the latter being the last building before turning the corner onto Glebe Row and then occupied by Robert Beadnell. Most of us can probably remember Beadnell’s grocery shop on that site. With the exception of Foggan’s Yard and Baptist’s Yard, both with the addition of ‘High Street’, none of these names are taken up by the enumerator.

The same situation is evident along the length of Glebe Row. Turning the corner from Beadnell’s and continuing towards Choppington as far as the Dr Pit Cottages on the western district boundary the official name seems to have simply been ‘Glebe Row’. However, even here the residents have their own unique way of defining the place they called home. Next to Beadnells was Kidd’s Yard with 10 dwellings ranging from 1-3 rooms. In one room we can find a father and son aged 69 and 30 years living together with a female servant aged 14 years. Talk about overcrowding!

Continuing down Glebe Road, the residents use the names:

Charlton’s Buildings (7 dwellings), Oliver’s Buildings (16 dwellings), Alma Inn, Front Street, Renwick House, Renwick Yard, Tankerville Yard, Arcade (6 dwellings 1-2 rooms, my parents lived here), Tankerville Arms, Fountain Yard (6 dwellings of 1 room) and Fountain Inn. The public houses are taken up by the enumerator with the addition of ‘Glebe Row’.

No mention by either residents or the enumerator of Carr’s Buildings. I eagerly await the release of the 1921 census in 2021. We should be able to pinpoint it accurately with you having named relatives living there Eggy.

By the way, ration books, along with National Dried Milk, Cod Liver Oil, Orange Juice and Virol were collected from the Food Office, formerly the Alma Inn. I've vague memories of visiting in the early 50s.

Edited by Canny lass
  • Like 1

You have saved me joining any genealogy site @Canny lass:D. If anyone on the Facebook groups is trying to find out where 'a yard' was on Front Street or Glebe Road I will just have to remember your posting and use it as a guide:)

Roll on 2021.

ps. What site to you use to access the census records? I might be tempted:innocent:

3 hours ago, Canny lass said:

Ancestry. Very good . I've used it for years.

👍

6 minutes ago, Rigger said:

Also Ancestry, there is subscription, but is quite comprehensive.  I also used Familysearch which is free which can sometimes fill in the gaps.

👍

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now