Local Elections

Guest missvic

Thanks for the link ck, after looking through their pages it does seem they are saying the same sort of things as the other parties, maybe they thought they have to? I would have thought a more aggressive radicle manifesto might have produced better results as with only 3 councillors they are by and large impotent. Full marks for trying though!

With all the changes to the local gov scene coming soon it may be the begginings of more small parties standing on local issues. Roll on the BIP, (not BNP Pete!) Bedlington Independence Party!

Shucks, heres me thinking you were a supporter Malcolm :lol:

I would be interested to here what the BIP stand for Malcolm?

To be honest I am not a BNP supportef Malcolm, I think they have some good policies but what worries me is the hidden agenda that they may have.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shucks, heres me thinking you were a supporter Malcolm :lol:

I would be interested to here what the BIP stand for Malcolm?

To be honest I am not a BNP supportef Malcolm, I think they have some good policies but what worries me is the hidden agenda that they may have.

hidden agenda? they've only one agenda to get Britain back on its feet and stop all the money hungry immigrants from taking over!

• 2 weeks later...
Tell us more Malcolm. ;)

Don't think I have the time, but judging by the support the idea got at the time it could have been a runner!

It was just something I came up years ago with to demonstrate how Bedlington was not getting a fair share and could break out of the yoke of WDC and be self sufficient and better off.

Don't think I have the time, but judging by the support the idea got at the time it could have been a runner!

It was just something I came up years ago with to demonstrate how Bedlington was not getting a fair share and could break out of the yoke of WDC and be self sufficient and better off.

kkkb whats wrong with that? some people? purple dragon!!!!!

It could still be a runner Malcolm, go for it or you will never know what the outcome would have been. I would think there would be a lot of support for Bedlington becoming independent again, or at least having a bigger say in its affairs.

It could still be a runner Malcolm, go for it or you will never know what the outcome would have been. I would think there would be a lot of support for Bedlington becoming independent again, or at least having a bigger say in its affairs.

Pete,

With the next reorganisation of the local gov landscape Bedlington could become much more independent. I was shocked to read, on this board, that it might amalgamate with Blyth where did that come from? In the 70’s when WDC was formed why didn’t Bedders amalgamate with Cramlington a much more strategic fit?

The real problem seems to be with the people we keep electing to represent us as they are much more concerned with toeing party lines than actually listening and doing something constructive and ambitious. Another reason to get rid of party references on ballot papers! Reintroducing the old Shire boundaries would make Bedlington a sizeable concern and with 30-40 thousand people a self sufficient one as no money is wasted on flights of fancy such as leisure centres, swimming pools, etc!!!!!!!!!

It will be easy to have something like a parish council once WDC is disbanded but beware they have no real “power” as their remit is all about parks and bus shelters! Bedlington needs its own self determination in areas like social/commercial regeneration and with the right people at the helm it could fly.

Pete,

With the next reorganisation of the local gov landscape Bedlington could become much more independent. I was shocked to read, on this board, that it might amalgamate with Blyth where did that come from? In the 70’s when WDC was formed why didn’t Bedders amalgamate with Cramlington a much more strategic fit?

The real problem seems to be with the people we keep electing to represent us as they are much more concerned with toeing party lines than actually listening and doing something constructive and ambitious. Another reason to get rid of party references on ballot papers! Reintroducing the old Shire boundaries would make Bedlington a sizeable concern and with 30-40 thousand people a self sufficient one as no money is wasted on flights of fancy such as leisure centres, swimming pools, etc!!!!!!!!!

It will be easy to have something like a parish council once WDC is disbanded but beware they have no real “power” as their remit is all about parks and bus shelters! Bedlington needs its own self determination in areas like social/commercial regeneration and with the right people at the helm it could fly.

not mean flights to sunnier climates on "business trips" or top end cars for the councilors! stinking money hungry feckers

Pete,

The plan is to (potentially) amalgamate Blyth Valley Borough Council and Wansbeck District Council - and that includes Cramlington, Seaton Deleval, Blyth.......It'll be more or less that same geographical area covered by the South East Northumberland/The rest of Northumberland split that was discussed at the referendum for a North East Assembly a couple of years back.

I'm playing devil's advocate here, but one of the things that Blyth Valley have been very, very good at doing in the last few years has been self-promotion and making sucessful bids for funding from regeneration organisations (and also seeming to make reasonable-to-good use of the money that they receive, rather than a bloke in a suit walking on 2 foot of astroturf on Ashington main street) - It's the kind of skill that a combined South East Northumberland Council may be able to make use of and may be of benefit to us here in Bedlington in the future. If we also get to have a louder voice in terms of having a larger population of people in reasonable income brackets, fewer social problems (i.e. Cramlington) - PLEASE DON'T LYNCH ME for mentioning that some of this area might be a bit less than salubrious - we might end up better off, hell, we may even end up with a swimming pool! We might just get what we want - possibly.

Though if you don't mind, I'd prefer not to bet the farm on it just yet....

Some stuff on the Wansbeck District Council website

The plan is to (potentially) amalgamate Blyth Valley Borough Council and Wansbeck District Council - and that includes Cramlington, Seaton Deleval, Blyth.......It'll be more or less that same geographical area covered by the South East Northumberland/The rest of Northumberland split that was discussed at the referendum for a North East Assembly a couple of years back.

Mrs P,

I recall a South East Northumberland "council" being talked about some time ago but it was felt that as most of the "industry and people" were based here it would leave the rest of the county at too big a disadvantage? What has changed?

If this new "Council" does get off the ground it will be interesting to watch the scramble for the seats in it, a bit like fighting for deckchairs on the Titanic!

I would have gone for a NE Assembly, pared down County councils and scrap local authorities and replace then with town councils.

My voting card has gone awol, and although I think it could be in me kitchen drawer it may take at least 3 minutes to locate it and i'm not too sure it's worth the hassle. I have become the apathetic political sloth I have always despised, and I did me degree in politics. How is the rest of the town supposed to feel anything but indifference?

The age old put a monkey up for Labour and it will still get elected anecdote still seems to prevail. And even should a different monkey be voted in this time, does anyne really think voting is going to make a difference out here in the wilds of Bedlington?

As I dont live in WDC anymore (Ashington until I was 12yrs old, then Bedlington until I was 21yrs old), I cant really comment on WDC's performance.

However, as a member of a main party (the wife has stood for two years running in North Tyneside councillor elections), I have a rough idea how councils work.

Councillors are largely 'figure heads' and the employees of the council do the actual 'work'... The word 'work' is may be a misleading term having been on the opposing side of a council employee with regards to planning etc....

We could not build a conservitory as drivers on the A19 (0.5miles away) may be distracted by it?! It may have been 18M by 7M but someone driving at 70mph over half a mile away may be distracted... !*!@# ...

Councillors get paid very little money (less than 6K pa last time I checked for North Tyneside) for many hours work, with little reward. It is almost on the boundary of volentary work.

My gut feeling is if you dont like your councillor(s), stand yourself. It is a democracy.

Instead of slagging off councillors, try taking making an active contribution to your society instead of complaining about it.

People who winge, get looked over.

People who do, get somewhere.

People who cant spell are called Gary! ;-)

As I dont live in WDC anymore (Ashington until I was 12yrs old, then Bedlington until I was 21yrs old), I cant really comment on WDC's performance.

However, as a member of a main party (the wife has stood for two years running in North Tyneside councillor elections), I have a rough idea how councils work.

Councillors are largely 'figure heads' and the employees of the council do the actual 'work'... The word 'work' is may be a misleading term having been on the opposing side of a council employee with regards to planning etc....

We could not build a conservitory as drivers on the A19 (0.5miles away) may be distracted by it?! It may have been 18M by 7M but someone driving at 70mph over half a mile away may be distracted... !*!@# ...

Councillors get paid very little money (less than 6K pa last time I checked for North Tyneside) for many hours work, with little reward. It is almost on the boundary of volentary work.

My gut feeling is if you dont like your councillor(s), stand yourself. It is a democracy.

Instead of slagging off councillors, try taking making an active contribution to your society instead of complaining about it.

People who winge, get looked over.

People who do, get somewhere.

People who cant spell are called Gary! ;-)

Amen to that Gary!

I have always felt that all the energy wasted on whining about perceived mistreatment, would be far better spent on getting into the arena (Whatever that may be!) and helping find the solutions to the problems.

Joe

Amen to that Gary!

I have always felt that all the energy wasted on whining about perceived mistreatment, would be far better spent on getting into the arena (Whatever that may be!) and helping find the solutions to the problems.

Joe

Must admit, having had a certain amount to do with council types, you have to admire a persons willingness to engage in local government activity because it is (not to put too fine a point on it) duller than scabby ditch water...but that's what it comes down to, it's planning applications, rubbish, pavements, crime - all the kind of stuff that about as exciting as cold rice pudding but all contributes to our sense of well-being.

Wish there was a formula to make seem a little less tedious as democracy would be made a little easier...

"Councillors are largely 'figure heads' and the employees of the council do the actual 'work'... The word 'work' is may be a misleading term having been on the opposing side of a council employee with regards to planning etc...."

Maybe your personal experiences have something to do with that view? I have "worked" with both "sides" of council and found the officers commited and earnest in their efforts. They are effectivly "overseen" by elected councillors who usually have no understanding of the work they have to do!

"My gut feeling is if you dont like your councillor(s), stand yourself. It is a democracy."

I don't think it really is, it is more a political party race. How many time have we heard that if you put a monkey in a particularly coloured suit he would get elected. That isn't democracy it is blind faith in a politicial party.

"Instead of slagging off councillors, try taking making an active contribution to your society instead of complaining about it."

I quite agree and I would have liked to seen councillors taking part in public debates where interested members of the community could discuss and debate issues. How else can anyone say they are representing your views, when was the last time a councillor asked what you thought of a certain issue?

I also agree that most of the work is mundane but some of it impacts on the way the area developes socially and commercially and it would be nice to see some concensus for a change.

One final point, anyone standing for council asks for your vote and because of that they have to justify themselves to any electorate. We now seem to be electing people becasue of their views and belifes instead of us putting them forward to represent ours!

My voting card has gone awol, and although I think it could be in me kitchen drawer it may take at least 3 minutes to locate it and i'm not too sure it's worth the hassle. I have become the apathetic political sloth I have always despised, and I did me degree in politics. How is the rest of the town supposed to feel anything but indifference?

The age old put a monkey up for Labour and it will still get elected anecdote still seems to prevail. And even should a different monkey be voted in this time, does anyne really think voting is going to make a difference out here in the wilds of Bedlington?

Pankhurst must be turning in her grave (covered in hoof marks).