Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

Fountain(s) Yard - Glebe Row/Road/Bank

Does anyone know anything abut the Fountain Inn or Fountain9s) Yard?

On the Bedlington remembered Facbook group a Mikki Lee Townley commented :-  'Does anyone please have any info on fountain yard off glebe road in bedlington, (I'm not local- I'm doing family research) my grandads sister Isabel Thompson was born there in 1904. Many thanks.'

I had heard of the Fountain Inn but not of Fountains Yard. The info in one of Evan Martin's books said that Fountain Inn was across the road from the Mission Room building.

I am wondering if what was Blackbird Hall became the Fountain Inn and Fountains yard.:huh:

I don't have access to the census records so I checked the North east War Memorials site and found there were 5 residents of Fountain(s) Yard listed.

1886 Blackbird Hall.jpg

1898 nothing.jpg

1938 Mission Room.jpg

newmp Fountain Yard.jpg

I've come across this in my search for "Arcade", Bedlington. It's just a few doors down the road.

1911 Fountain yard comprised six dwellings. Nr. 1 and 2 were somewhat larger, both having 2 rooms while nr. 3-6 had only one. The families living there ranged from 2 to 8 persons and the majority were miners, though one bricklayer is recorded.  Fountain Inn and Fountain Yard appear to have been  neighbours of the Tankerville Arms public House on Glebe Row but they may have been opposite or adjacent to it. I'm tempted to think it was on the same side of the road, partly as it was located next door to the "Dr Pit Cottages" (logically these would be beside the pit) and partly because in 1904 the west side of what we now call Glebe Road was not built upon. It was farmland, so called 'Bishops Meadow', for the needs of the vicar of St Cuthberts. The housing area retains that name even today.

If Mikki Lee Townley can give me some more information about Isabel (her parent's names would be a good help) I'll see if i can find anything nearer 1904. Glebe Row was a complicated area. The adress of every dwelling was simply Glebe Row but residents put their own names to various parts of it and these were later made official.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Canny lass said:

If Mikki Lee Townley can give me some more information about Isabel (her parent's names would be a good help) I'll see if i can find anything nearer 1904. Glebe Row was a complicated area. The address of every dwelling was simply Glebe Row but residents put their own names to various parts of it and these were later made official.

@Canny lass :- Than you. I will post your comment for Mikki and suggest she joins this group if she wants more help and info.:)

I found the entry in Evan Martin's book - Images of England Bedlingtonshire - where the Fountain Inn gets a mention :- 

Glebe Road.jpg