Wingrove House

@Lee Foster - I asked on the Bygone Bedlington Facebook group if anyone had ever know a Wingrove House.

One member replied - I live in Wingrove House - and I thought that's it now get some info. Turns out this member lives in Wingove House, Newcastle, not Bedlington:thumbsdown:.

Then another member commented :- 'According to the census, Wingrove House was 28 Pioneer Terrace.' :D.

This has lead to an online discussion with extracts from old maps and books been checked but nothing definite established.

I do not have access to the the census info but I will post on this group all that gets posted on the Facebook group when the online discussion ends.

Might take a couple of days:o 

7 hours ago, Lee Foster said:

Yes 28 Pioneer terrace is correct would anyone know where that fits with Bedlington today.I assume "Bedlington Station" was the name for the area surrounding Bedlington Station itself,would that be correct.

cheers lee foster

That is correct Lee - Bedlingtons railway station was built and opened in Sleekburn in 1850. So Bedlington residents had to travel the 1.5 - 2.0 miles to Bedlingtons station and eventually (I don't know when) the area became know as Bedlington Station.

1921.jpg

Transport to station.jpg

Bell and Gibson at railway station.jpg

@Lee Foster- another member, on the Facebook Bygone Bedlington group has said they currently live in Pioneer Terrace and the deeds show it as having been called Wingrove House. 

I have asked this member how much further info, if any, they want to disclose and I am waiting for a reply.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Could no 28 have been Tullys the dentist if not it must be pretty close? 

I remember, late 1960's, a dentists on Pioneer Terrace that I have been to but no idea what number it was but I think you could be close Pete as my memory says it wasn't far down when you came through the pedestrian cut from Waverley Avenue to Pioneer Terrace.  

Pioneer Terrace2.jpg

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Looking at google earth I think Tullys may have been no 27, but to be honest I have never heard of Wingrove House. I remember Moles farm house on Pioneer Terrace.

Now you have me scratching the old head Pete. I remember a Jimmy and Clark Mole - Waverley Avenue. Did their relation have a piece of land between Pioneer and Waverley Ave.? Half way down the cut, on the left hand side as you went down to Waverley Avenue  

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Yes but on the right hand side, the left hand side was allotments. Right hand side was know as Moles farm.

I'll have to scratch a bit more Pete:) but I think there is a faint memory lurking in the depths on my mind. The number of times I went through that cut to school - 1954 (Barrington) ; 1965 (BGS) and then to The Percy Arms (1966 to 1969) I must been in there and helped myself to some vegetable;). or did they have pigs ?

Mostly Pigeons, but there was only a hand full of allotments there. Entrance was from the cut and they were sandwiched between the gardens of Pioneer Terrace and Waverley  Avenue. I have not been past that area for a lot of years but I think they built houses or flats on that land both sides of the cut.

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Mostly Pigeons, but there was only a hand full of allotments there. Entrance was from the cut and they were sandwiched between the gardens of Pioneer Terrace and Waverley  Avenue. I have not been past that area for a lot of years but I think they built houses or flats on that land both sides of the cut.

Waverley Court & Brambling Lea :- 

2019.jpg

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now