Hide Adverts
Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

Bates Colliery - Blyth

@HIGH PIT WILMA :- as the popular 'Coal Mining' topic in History Hollow is more about Bedlington mining  I have started a new topic for anything to do with Bates Colliery.

Here's a comment and photo for you HPW. Posted on the 'Friends of Bates Colliery' Facebook group by ex miner Leslie George  :- 

............... The guy left is Ron Schoular . me n Ron transfered from Brenkley 82 .
He went down 3/4 me up newbiggin drift.
Never worked together again .
Would see him in dudley club.
Lad far right John Tinmouth ?

Bates Colliery with names.jpg

Hi Alan! Gud ti hae wa aan topic for Bates..a knaa it's a Bedltn forum,but tha wus a lot o' Bedlington lads went ti Bates from the Aad Pit in Bedders.[Mining ex-pats?!...so ti speak!].

Definately John Tinmouth far right,a was in charge of him and he's marra's when a was a Deputy,then when a came back into the N.U.M.,in 1978,a worked alang him on Composite/Development work...that was driving new roadways,and winning oot new coal faces.

John was famous in the Angling world for catching a 29-pounder Cod fish,off the steps at the Dun Cow jetty in Blyth,many many years ago,and was sick ti death of folk asking him aboot it for years after!!

The lad third from the left,a knew very well,but time has erased his name from me memory...if a get a prompt from sumbody,it'll cum back ti me![same wi the lad ? Rose,just canna get names ti fit!]..a knew aal four ,but Bates was a big pit..it cud be owa a year before me and me Brother,and Faatha,wud be in the syem shifts,ti see each other at thi pit!

• Like 1

@HIGH PIT WILMA and another comment on the photo of the 4 is from Peter Quinn  :- Second lad in from the left is his name not called mick sure he knocked a around with Phil Gray from Shiremoor who also worked at Bates?

Followed, 10 mins later by :- Peter Quinn Mick straker comes to mind not to sure

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

Hi Alan,a didn't knaa a Mick Straker by name,but a mighta knaan he's nickname,cos loads a lads were knaan by knickname only...like me at the High Pit.

Noo,when a was a young recruited Deputy,in 1971,me first appointment..["Job"],was on 84's Face,up in the Beaumont Seam,at Bates pit.

Peter Quinn was one of the men in the team that I was in charge of.Considering that aa was the youngest Deputy at the pit,wi Alan Dickson close behind me,at age 27 yrs,Peter might have been 40-odd,maybe less,so that would mek him in he's mid-80's noo.[cos aam 75 this July..]

Can this be the same Peter Quinn,or he's Son/GrandSon...?..aad be interested ti knaa![..Peter worked wi a nice fella also,caaled Geordie Kinsman..hellish gud workers.]

Hope we see mair pics popping up from the Bates Lads!

Aa lost a 36 exposure 35mm film,in it's can,somewhere on the Screens,or mebbe in the Winderhoose at Bates,on the night that a tuk the pics from up on the pit Heedgear,wi Russell,and it was fully exposed wi a lot of gud shots tekking IN the Winderhoose,and the Screens..it must hae dropped as a was changing the film in the camera.

Noo a hope sumbody picked it up and got it developed...we might see them pics one day!

17 hours ago, HIGH PIT WILMA said:

Can this be the same Peter Quinn,or he's Son/GrandSon...?..aad be interested ti knaa![..Peter worked wi a nice fella also,caaled Geordie Kinsman..hellish gud workers.]

Post your comment for Peter to see and he replied with :- Peter Quinn Alan Edgar I am peter the son my dad would of been 81 back in January past he died back in 97 I remember Geordie kinsman myself lovely fellow I was also at bates myself started in 76

Wow!...wat a smaal world,Alan,aa luv the power of the net for the gud things!Aa probably knew young Peter,but  the ravages of time are tekkin their toll sumtimes!Sorry to hear of Peter's Dad's passing...R.I.P. Peter Quinn senior.

• Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Latest News

• A new home at Cambois has been given the go-ahead after councillors rejected the planners' view that the site was in the open countryside.
      Plans for the construction of a two-storey house and detached garage, between Berristock and Debdon House, were recommended for refusal at Wednesday night's (March 13) Ashington and Blyth Local Area Council.
      But members unanimously backed the scheme, as they did not consider it was in the open countryside, that it was on previously developed brownfield land and that a refusal - saying development was unsuitable in this area - would essentially split Cambois in two.
      The ward councillor, Jeff Gobin, and East Bedlington Parish Council had both supported the application as well.
      Coun Brian Gallacher said: "If this applicant didn't build his house there, what else is going to go there? You are going to end up with a patch of wasteland."
      Coun Grant Davey added: "I would like to see Cambois rebuilt as a very lively village."

• Latest Topics