Bates Colliery - Blyth

Hi This is my father he was a overman down the 3/4drift tally number 453 ..locker row 4 bottom ..All ways seen him on the Golden mile before going down the pit .

I worked with him had the locker above him . All ways looked after the lads that worked for him ..

Great fellow everytime I when to see him at home he give me a job to do then watched me do it .Once an Overman all ways an Overman ..Dad xx

• Like 3

Hi Duncan,welcome to this excellent forum!

If you are talking about Ju-Jitzu Geordie,then you have come to the right place!

I was transferred to Bates pit in 1971,from Bedlington A pit,when it closed,and the Manager Mr Fenwick,[an old friendly fella who was my Manager at Choppington High Pit,in 1959],asked me and Alan Dixon to go onto the next Deputy's course,which we did.

We were both sent to Bates,and Alan was posted up in the Plessey seam,while I was posted to the Beaumont seam.

As time went by,plans were laid out to drift down to the 3/4 seam.

My first impressions of Geordie,[he was also a Deputy ],was that he was a cocky bugger,always laughing and carrying on,but sometimes a wee bit sarcastic to us two young Deputies...we were still green,dinna forget...I was only 27 yrs old.

Anyway,after 7 years, Alan and me both packed Deputy work in,and Alan went to Ellington,and got set straight on back in the NUM.

Aa waanted ti stay at Bates,and Mr Hindmarsh,and both the NUM,and NACOS,agreed that I could be accepted back into the NUM at Bates..previously unheard of!

Aa went onti Composite work doon thi drift,and by then,aroond 1978-ish,maybe a wee bit later,Geordie became Owaman in charge of me and me Marra's,as we won oot aal the new roadways and coalfaces.

Geordie was the fairest guy you could meet,if ye worked doon theor,then ye shud knaa thi score aboot yardages,and paypoints....nae botha if ye dinna knaa.

When ye settle a bargain wi thi Manager,we'll say 20 yards a week advance,from the start of the bargain..or Cyevil,that is ya starting point for bonus.

Ye got paid for ivry increment of a yard after that.

Noo let's say we got 25 yards advance one week,a gud week,cos the belts were gannin aal shift,and nae delays,like the juice being off or a bust cable.

We wud ask Geordie ti just book 23 yards in for us,and keep two yards back,in case we had a bad start the following week.

The next week might be disastrous..bust cable, waata teeming in,bad stone,slaa progress,ownly 18 yards advance,Geordie wud book 20 yards in,[which included the two yards we held back the week before],and that,at least paid us,we didn't loss owt.

If we were working for wor summer holiday pay for the following week,and even if we had 22 yards advance,we naturally waanted a gud pay for wa holidays,so we wud ask Geordie ti haad the tape back,[his 50-yard cloth tape measure],and put us a couple of extra yards in,on paper,ti pay  us weel!!

Not strictly allowed!..but Geordie trusted us,as we trusted him,and he knew that after the hols were owa,we wud give him the two yards back,even if we put wasell's "in debt",[paid wasell's short],but which we knew we wud mek up thi following week.

We got on really weel wi Geordie,and he was weel-liked,but he wadn't knaa hoo much at the time,cos as ye knaa ,we pitman were witty sods,and ye had ti stand on ya aan two feet or be trodden on!!

Aa got on really weel wi Flo,when she worked at the Garage aroond the Haaf-Moon....many moons ago!!

Aye,Geordie helped us oot that many times,we had a lot ti thank him for!

Cheers Duncan!...ye just crossed swords wi Bill thi gud taaka...and if Geordie was here noo,he'd be saying.."that bugga's toungue nivvor stops..."!!

A canna mind ye being doon the drift,Duncan,or did ye hae a daft nickname like mine...."Wilma"![or HPW..to you,my friend!]

Edited by HIGH PIT WILMA
Spelling correction
  • Like 1

Duncan,I had just come to this page after switching my laptop on,and after posting the light-hearted bantering comment above,went looking for the photo you seemed to be referring to,in your comment above.

So I went back one page,and saw the photo's of Geordie,and the comment by Alan Edgar,informing us here on the forum,of George's passing.

After reminiscing about him,then seeing this sad news,brought me down,and all I can say is I am sorry for you and your family,and if Florence is still with us,then please pass my condolences to her.

I will private message you if I can Duncan.

R.I.P. Ju-Jitzu Geordie ,a smashing fella.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Photo from Bob Simmons - don't know what year but according to  Ronnie Mordue on the Bates  Colliery Facebook group :- 

Ronnie Mordue That stretch of the pit road flooded regularly.It still does,thought they would have improved the drainage or something before they built those new rabbit hutches.
Bet the buyers weren’t aware of the flood risk.

Bob Simmons.jpg

• 4 months later...

Hi Alan,aav seen this photo,a knaa a few of the lads faces,but just canna bring tha nyems ti mind!!...it's frustrating...aad age!! 

Thanks for notifying me Al. 

Hope ye are keeping aalreet!

Cheers!

Bill.

Alan,after signing off,a just caught the post above with Eddie Oliver's Photo.

A first met Eddie in 1971 when a went on to Deputy -Work at Bates.

Eddie was part of a face team on 84's Coalface at the Beaumont Seam.

From day one,we got on weel with one another,considering that I was posted on the Face just as the Overtime Ban was coming into force prior to the 1972 Miner's Strike..and a lot of the men had their hooks into the Deputies.

When the face teams became awkward to work with,and kept stopping coalwork deliberately,to strengthen the point that they could win the strike,Eddie was one of only a few who remained really pleasant to work with .

As time went by,and I went back onto the N.U.M.,Eddie went onto Deputy Work,then HE was in charge of me sometimes..a complete role-reversal!!

I cannot find a single wrong word to say about Eddie, a lovely Smiley,gud-natured fella,and I will say this to Bethany ,you were blessed to have had such a lovely  Grandad.

He was a pleasure to work with.

R.I.P. Eddie Oliver. 

Bill.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HIGH PIT WILMA said:

Hi Alan,aav seen this photo,a knaa a few of the lads faces,but just canna bring tha nyems ti mind!!...it's frustrating...aad age!! 

Thanks for notifying me Al. 

Hope ye are keeping aalreet!

Cheers!

Bill.

Canna complain Bill - thers more in a warse state than me.

Alan

16 hours ago, HIGH PIT WILMA said:

......,a knaa a few of the lads faces,but just canna bring tha nyems ti mind!!...it's frustrating...aad age!! 

@HIGH PIT WILMA - some names from Frank Keenlyside - David Vacher & Bob Boyd (Friends Of Bates Colliery Facebook group)

Bob Simmons Bates named.jpg

8 hours ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

@HIGH PIT WILMA - some names from Frank Keenlyside - David Vacher & Bob Boyd (Friends Of Bates Colliery Facebook group)

Malcolm Mckenna - Friends of Bates Colliery commented :-

'No 5 - Stan Wilson ???? But don't hold me in that'

• 2 months later...

@HIGH PIT WILMA - photo posted, with 6 names, on the Blyth Remembered Facebook group by Deborah Moody Dinsley on behalf of No 7 Lol Riley.

I posted the photo, with names, on the Friends of Bates Colliery group -  Tony Oates and Bob Boyd have named the 4. They also commented

1 Michael Thompson sadly passed away last year

Bates miners named.jpg

15 minutes ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

@HIGH PIT WILMA - photo posted, with 6 names, on the Blyth Remembered Facebook group by Deborah Moody Dinsley on behalf of No 7 Lol Riley.

I posted the photo, with names, on the Friends of Bates Colliery group -  Tony Oates and Bob Boyd have named the 4. They also commented

1 Michael Thompson sadly passed away last year

Bates miners named.jpg

Update from Bob Boyd - No 8 not David Sanderson - it's  Bobby Foster -  Nah she's mistaken I went through 3/4 to Brass thill to Westoe with Bob.

Bates miners named.jpg

Hi Alan,thanks for the notification,Bob Boyd  is absoloutely spot on! When I was a Deputy/Face/Seam overman [ on relief ] ,at Bates Pit,I worked with all of these lads except Nicky,and John.Jack Cane was the only old school Deputy of longstanding,he was a Deputy at Bedlington Aad Pit,many years before ever gaan ti Bates!

All the others on the pic went onto Deputy /Overman  work after I was a Deputy there.Alan Taylor ,Old George Harrison,[sadly Deceased R.I.P. Geordie],and Myself,were the pioneers of driving the new 3/4 Drift down to reach the 3/4 R Seam.We opened up the two main roadways in the most atrocious wet conditions,so bad,that when some men from the dry Plessey Seam were deployed to go down the Drift,they told the Overman to stick a rest day in for them,cos no way were they going to go down that wet cold hell-hole!!..and they would go back outbye and back to bank,away home!

If Alan can remember,he would bear me out on that one!!..it sure was the most depressing place to be any time of day,but especially at  12-0 midnight on a Sunday night [Foreshift].  

You just need to study this pic,to see who worked where!! Start with Jacky Cane [Plessey Deputy],not a bit o clarts nae where,even he's kneepads are polished!then look at Alan,Eddie,Davy,Lol,Micky...sad to hear of Mick's passing,he was a smashing natured lad,as were most of these lads on here.

R.I.P. MICK.THOMPSON 

6 hours ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

Update from Bob Boyd - No 8 not David Sanderson - it's  Bobby Foster -  Nah she's mistaken I went through 3/4 to Brass thill to Westoe with Bob.

Bates miners named.jpg

@HIGH PIT WILMA - a member on the Blyth facebook group, Deborah Moody Dinsley, reckons No 6 is Alan Moody. What do you think for No 6 - Andy Sanderson or Alan Moody?

Definitly Andy Sanderson, Alan, he went onto Deputy work after aa came back into thi NUM.. and he was wor Deputy when we were winning oot new coalfaces. It wasn't his job, but after he  fired wa coal doon, he used ti hoy he's jacket off, pick a big fillers shuul up and start filling wa coal off onti thi conveyor belt. He was a hell of a coalfiller! When thi pit closed, he used to run his Wife's Wool Stall  in Blyth old Market, in thi days when thi Market was choc ablock!! Wor lass really liked Andy, cos he was that quiet and sociable, but she used ti say Billy, wa in a hurry, divvent taak ti naebody, or thi Market will be closed afore we get aroond! Those were the days when Blyth was full everywhere wi shoppers! Aye, unmistakeable, Andy!! Cheers Bill. 

10 minutes ago, HIGH PIT WILMA said:

Definitly Andy Sanderson, Alan, he went onto Deputy work after aa came back into thi NUM.. and he was wor Deputy when we were winning oot new coalfaces. It wasn't his job, but after he  fired wa coal doon, he used ti hoy he's jacket off, pick a big fillers shuul up and start filling wa coal off onti thi conveyor belt. He was a hell of a coalfiller! When thi pit closed, he used to run his Wife's Wool Stall  in Blyth old Market, in thi days when thi Market was choc ablock!! Wor lass really liked Andy, cos he was that quiet and sociable, but she used ti say Billy, wa in a hurry, divvent taak ti naebody, or thi Market will be closed afore we get aroond! Those were the days when Blyth was full everywhere wi shoppers! Aye, unmistakeable, Andy!! Cheers Bill. 

Cheers Bill👍

• 1 year later...
On 23/11/2022 at 15:27, greenbeans said:

No 5 is Alan Luke and No 6 is Kenny Harrison, I also transferred from the Eccles to Bates with these two in 1980.  

Cheers @greenbeans - names updated.

1643375567_BrianDavidsonandworkmates.jpg.0ce9d0885a30cc800b563031fab6f362.jpg

You may have already seen it but this is a direct link to the the Bates album that was created in the 'Places Gallery' with the photos and info from @HIGH PIT WILMA :- 

• 1 month later...
On 19/11/2020 at 14:20, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:
Think no1was David Scott lived in park drive

@HIGH PIT WILMA -update to the names for numbers 1 & 5 from Barry Douds - Davey Walker - Les Welsh - Kevin Barnfather & Malcolm Mckenna members of the 'Friends of Bates Colliery' Facebook group :-

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SouthernGeordie said:

I've found this photo from around 1975, it's some of the surface workers at Bates, I've sent a copy to @HIGH PIT WILMA maybe able to identify some and bring back a few memories.

Bates Surface Workers .jpg

I have seen the photo before  - yours is in a better state:thumbsup: -it had been posted on the Facebook group - Friends of Bates Colliery - by Stephen Tosney on the 7th Feb 2019 but it did have a bit of damage to it . We attempted to repair and got the names from HPW and the members of the Facebook group.

This is the photo with the names :- 

Stephen Tosney Feb 7th 2019 Surface Fitters and Blacksmiths.jpg

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now