Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

Bates Colliery - Blyth

@HIGH PIT WILMA - a new member on the Facebook group - Bedlington remembered - has posted this comment :-

Project1.jpg

I don't know where the nursing home is but I have asked her a few questions and pointed her to a couple of possible places where she might get some info and memorabilia. I have not passed on any info about your photos of Bates but if she was after some photos would it be ok to pass on some of yours? If that was ok I would add some of the text that you have written to each photo.

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

@HIGH PIT WILMA - Can't remember which group I found the newspaper cutting on or who gave the names but Malcolm Neslund, on the Facebook group Friends of Bates Colliery, has commented that the names someone had given me and I had added = No 3 TED REDFORD & No 5 BILLY SMITH are wrong and should be No 3 TOM WILKINSON & No 5 PHIL CLARK.

Names updated :-

Bates.jpg

Thanks, Vic, Pete and Alan! Those kind words mean a lot.

Really, things are going remarkably well, all things considered. It's just that it seems to drag on and on with never ending rounds of hospitals and health centres but we're getting there slowly. Of course we have our down days but we have plenty of 'up days' as well and these are becoming more frequent now.

Hope things are getting better for you and your wife Vic. This ageing thing is a beggar, the curse of the elderly.

Edited by Canny lass
  • Like 2

Hi Alan,I knew aal these lads to taak ti,but not their names,except No 2 Gordon Hickson..[definately!],and No 5,who I took for a fella caaled Billy Smith.

Noo a wud gaan for the name ye have gotten from Malcom,cos he might have worked with him as a marra,I had Gordon Hickson on my Book,when I was  a Deputy,and I paid his wages ,virtually,every day for about two years.Now the lad who a thought was Billy Smith,must be the double of Billy,cos what's making me think twice about this,is the Specs!...Billy didn't wear specs when he was on my books,and maybe aad age is catching up wi me memory!

Ye knaa wat it's like when ya absoloutely sure,then doubt creeps in.....

Cheers Alan!

Bill.

• Haha 1

Alan,as regards Heather needing Mining Memorabilia,I wouldn't mind any of my pics being used that doesn't have any body appearing in any of them,cos some of those Marra's are now Deceased,and others I haven't seen for years,to gain permission,but on the other hand,they are on here for the world to see!

I would be happier if I knew which Home it was ,and especially if I thought it was Holmside,at Bedlington Station...cos a  Heather,and her Mother used to be in Charge of that home when my Dear old Mother-in-law was residing there, a few years ago.

The wee picture of Heather on her post,looks like the Heather I am talking about....cud be a million miles wrang mind!

Is there any way ye cud find out for me Alan?

Cheers!

Bill.

13 hours ago, HIGH PIT WILMA said:

Alan,as regards Heather needing Mining Memorabilia,I wouldn't mind any of my pics being used that doesn't have any body appearing in any of them,cos some of those Marra's are now Deceased,and others I haven't seen for years,to gain permission,but on the other hand,they are on here for the world to see!

I would be happier if I knew which Home it was ,and especially if I thought it was Holmside,at Bedlington Station...cos a  Heather,and her Mother used to be in Charge of that home when my Dear old Mother-in-law was residing there, a few years ago.

The wee picture of Heather on her post,looks like the Heather I am talking about....cud be a million miles wrang mind!

Is there any way ye cud find out for me Alan?

Cheers!

Bill.

HPW - I have posted your comment to Heather and will let you know what she replies.