Bates Colliery - Blyth

@HIGH PIT WILMA :- as the popular 'Coal Mining' topic in History Hollow is more about Bedlington mining  I have started a new topic for anything to do with Bates Colliery.

Here's a comment and photo for you HPW. Posted on the 'Friends of Bates Colliery' Facebook group by ex miner Leslie George  :- 

............... The guy left is Ron Schoular . me n Ron transfered from Brenkley 82 .
He went down 3/4 me up newbiggin drift.
Never worked together again .
Would see him in dudley club.
Lad far right John Tinmouth ?

Bates Colliery with names.jpg

Hi Alan! Gud ti hae wa aan topic for Bates..a knaa it's a Bedltn forum,but tha wus a lot o' Bedlington lads went ti Bates from the Aad Pit in Bedders.[Mining ex-pats?!...so ti speak!].

Definately John Tinmouth far right,a was in charge of him and he's marra's when a was a Deputy,then when a came back into the N.U.M.,in 1978,a worked alang him on Composite/Development work...that was driving new roadways,and winning oot new coal faces.

John was famous in the Angling world for catching a 29-pounder Cod fish,off the steps at the Dun Cow jetty in Blyth,many many years ago,and was sick ti death of folk asking him aboot it for years after!!

The lad third from the left,a knew very well,but time has erased his name from me memory...if a get a prompt from sumbody,it'll cum back ti me![same wi the lad ? Rose,just canna get names ti fit!]..a knew aal four ,but Bates was a big pit..it cud be owa a year before me and me Brother,and Faatha,wud be in the syem shifts,ti see each other at thi pit!

• Like 1

@HIGH PIT WILMA and another comment on the photo of the 4 is from Peter Quinn  :- Second lad in from the left is his name not called mick sure he knocked a around with Phil Gray from Shiremoor who also worked at Bates?

Followed, 10 mins later by :- Peter Quinn Mick straker comes to mind not to sure

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

Hi Alan,a didn't knaa a Mick Straker by name,but a mighta knaan he's nickname,cos loads a lads were knaan by knickname only...like me at the High Pit.

Noo,when a was a young recruited Deputy,in 1971,me first appointment..["Job"],was on 84's Face,up in the Beaumont Seam,at Bates pit.

Peter Quinn was one of the men in the team that I was in charge of.Considering that aa was the youngest Deputy at the pit,wi Alan Dickson close behind me,at age 27 yrs,Peter might have been 40-odd,maybe less,so that would mek him in he's mid-80's noo.[cos aam 75 this July..]

Can this be the same Peter Quinn,or he's Son/GrandSon...?..aad be interested ti knaa![..Peter worked wi a nice fella also,caaled Geordie Kinsman..hellish gud workers.]

Hope we see mair pics popping up from the Bates Lads!

Aa lost a 36 exposure 35mm film,in it's can,somewhere on the Screens,or mebbe in the Winderhoose at Bates,on the night that a tuk the pics from up on the pit Heedgear,wi Russell,and it was fully exposed wi a lot of gud shots tekking IN the Winderhoose,and the Screens..it must hae dropped as a was changing the film in the camera.

Noo a hope sumbody picked it up and got it developed...we might see them pics one day!

17 hours ago, HIGH PIT WILMA said:

Can this be the same Peter Quinn,or he's Son/GrandSon...?..aad be interested ti knaa![..Peter worked wi a nice fella also,caaled Geordie Kinsman..hellish gud workers.]

Post your comment for Peter to see and he replied with :- Peter Quinn Alan Edgar I am peter the son my dad would of been 81 back in January past he died back in 97 I remember Geordie kinsman myself lovely fellow I was also at bates myself started in 76

Wow!...wat a smaal world,Alan,aa luv the power of the net for the gud things!Aa probably knew young Peter,but  the ravages of time are tekkin their toll sumtimes!Sorry to hear of Peter's Dad's passing...R.I.P. Peter Quinn senior.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Alan, a knew aal these faces at one time,but the ones a dae remember are Billy Savage,smashing lad,really sociable,and Bucky Sharples..both of whom I worked with,both as a Deputy in charge of them,and later alongside them as Marras.

No 1 looks like Kevin Hartgrove,or could be Alan Jones...it's the tash..loads of lads had the tash at the time...AND the George Best hairstyles ti gaa wi thi tashes!! [same as when Kevin Keegan came alang wi he's curly perm,ivry toon fan had a curly perm!!]Kevin Hartgrove was like Billy Savage,a real pleasure ti work with.

Bucky Sharples,when aa was in charge of him,was the funniest ,likeable,crazy young kid ye cud wish ti meet...aroond 1973-4-ish.

Every day he was the same...shouting through the noise of the armoured face conveyor and shearer,to banter on wi me and aal he's Marra's.

The 3/4 Drift was driven doon aboot two miles inbye from the shaft landing...not very far at a big pit like Bates,so the ventilation was so intense,the lads on the face had ti wear the waistcoats and scarves aroond their necks..it was freezing and soaking wet aal day and ivry day.

One day,Bucky was drilling the coal,ready to fire it doon.

His scarf got tangled in the drill rod and wound him up,until his neck was up against the drill rod,and the driller stopped as Bucky let go of the trigger.

He was raised up from the ground..on tiptoes..being strangled,when Stan,one of he's Marra's in the Advanced Heading,walked by ti get some timber for his job.

Stan glanced at Bucky and saw his face twisted,and he's hand gesturing to his neck..in desperation,but Stan naturally thought it was just Bucky acting hesel'.

Stan got two yards past Bucky when the thought hit him that Bucky had an aaful look...he turned and shone he's caplamp onto Bucky and realised that it was a life-threatening situation.

Stan got he's knife oot and cut Bucky's scarf through,and Bucky just collapsed onto the ground..unconscious..he was blue in the face.

The lads got Bucky onti a stretcher and carried him outbye,where he would be put onto an Ambulance car and taken to the shaft bottom by Deisel Locomotive power.

The Consultant told Bucky,when he recovered,that when he was admitted to the Hospital and given life-saving treatment,that he had only about 20 seconds of Oxygen left in his bloodstream,and that if Stan hadn't acted so quickly,or hadn't had a knife in his pocket...it would have been fatal for Bucky.

Bucky was a real miss on  the Coalface,and when he returned to work,he was given "Light work"..i.e.NOT on the coalface.

From the time he came back to work,until Bates Colliery closed,Bucky turned into a quiet, but still canny,lad..but he had lost his sparkle,and zest,that he was well-liked for.

He was very lucky to still be alive,but we all knew that he must have suffered Psychological,as well as  Physical, damage through the accident.

Bucky sadly passed away a few years ago.

R.I.P. BUCKY.

It was a strange thing to happen,but not long after Bucky's accident,another Marra of mine,[who was actually my "cross-marra"...i.e..Marra's following us on in the next shift,but in wor team],called Tony,had the same thing happen to him.

Drilling the coal,scarf gets caught in drill rod...Tony choking but only for a second or two...frightening to experience..but Wilfy,his Marra,saw in an instant what was happening,and in a panic,couldn't think of owt else but ti chop the driller cable through..with an overhead swing of a long-shafted pit-axe.

The driller's worked on 110 volts,3-phase,so Wilfy didn't get a lethal shock,in fact he didn't get any shock at all,cos as soon as the cable was shorted,the panel box tripped out rendering it safe.

Another lad got he's long hair tangled,and was nearly scalped,but that happened at other pits,so the Coal Board issued the rules about having to wear hairnets for those who had long hair.

Tony didn't suffer any injuries and carried on working,but tucked he's scarf well in after that!

• Like 1

On 25/03/2019 at 12:15, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

Bob Boyd off the Friends Of Bates Colliery Facebook group says - No 4 is Les Joyce.

Bates from Steven Tosney named.jpg

And now Malcolm has changed his mind and says No 4 is Les Joyce and No 1 is called Les but can't remember his surname..

55961840_2064814363638578_7067788754844385280_n.jpg

Heh heh! It just gets better on the memory lane...!

Bobby Boyd was one of me Deputy Marra's...nivvor seen Bobby since thi pit closed!..and that's a lang time agyen!

Does he still like a chow?, a wonder?!!..another real canny lad....Bates was full of canny lads,wi a few odd sods ti gaa wi us mind,but we'll not botha aboot that!

Alan,anotha favour please..cud ye pass me regards on ti Bobby?

Cheers Alan.

Bill Allison.

Hi Alan,this pic is aalriddy in the gallery is it not..a knew aal the lads but only name that will be with me forever is that of me old gud friend and neighbour Frankie Tatters,Number 4 ,Frankie was a friend of my Wife's family gaan back as far as my Wife can remember..he used to stay overnight at her Mother's hoose after a night at the club wi her Brother,when she was was a wee bairn..then as aa came alang,courting,aa was transferred ti thi Aad pit at thi Station,where a worked wi Frankie from me being 21 years aad.

Thi pic of thi Windy Driller stuck in the caunch wi knee deep waata aal aroond,[in me Bates Pit Pics],was Frankie's driller..when thatcher said "Switch off and pull oot...Bates is closing"...Frankie said "Ye can go to hell!...thi bugga's stopping there for me"!...so he switched the driller off...and it's still there yit..35 years later![and a bet it still works!]

Frankie was the driest ,funniest bugga ,and the canniest lad ye cud ivvor wish ti meet.

R.I.P. Frankie Tatters [No 4]

• Like 1

No 3 was a canny quiet lad caaled Brian..[?],nicknamed Djevvy,a got ti knaa him at thi Aad pit an aal,he was a trainee kid,marra's wi Dyevvy Bower,[in thi gallery as weel].

R.I.P. Djevvy..[No 3]

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HIGH PIT WILMA said:

No 3 was a canny quiet lad caaled Brian..[?],nicknamed Djevvy,a got ti knaa him at thi Aad pit an aal,he was a trainee kid,marra's wi Dyevvy Bower,[in thi gallery as weel].

R.I.P. Djevvy..[No 3]

Now I stared at the photo and thought I know that face, No 3. He didn't have that belly when I knew him - 1955 to 1969. JDjevvy = Brian Davidson - from Barrington.

Unfortunately Djevvy is another one no longer with us. He died last year.

This photo (also in the gallery) is the lads I went to school with but it must have been wor Den's turn to wear the shoes when this one was taken and Eric Thielman must have been ill😉 

Barrington CP Class 3 c1956 with names enlarged.jpg

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Alan,we aal see folks differently,in hindsight,cos No 2 reminds me of Brian Davison..[no"D"!],who was marra's on the same face [R22's],alang wi Sandy,who started his own Haulage business with  an aad Transit Van,and progressed to three £100,000 Huge Articulated trucks,as well as vans,under the namme of "Sanderson's Haulage Co",based at Bebside.[Now deceased R.I.P. Sandy].

A mentioned that for reference,so he's marra's, will knaa hoo am on aboot.Bucky Sharples,[also deceased..R.I.P.Bucky],also worked wi thi Brian hoo aam thinking of.[mebbe aam mistaken..it's two against one!..and Alan Dickson is usually spot on!..just a nagging doubt in my mind...]

In 1971, the Tilmouth twins were under my charge,in the Beamont seam,at Bates,when a was a young Deputy.

A canny pair o' kids who were nae bother,and who were on leading the supplies inti the face,in 84's Tailgate haulage road.

Their Dad,also worked in there,on the face,and when a used ti keep remarking hoo identical they were,he used ti say,he had ti bray both of them when they were bairns,if one did owt wrang,each would blame the other,and HE couldn't tell them apart![the twins telt me the same thing happened at school..they would blame each other ..so they both got wrang!]

They really were remarkable in likeness.

The only way aa could tell them apart was in their nature.

One was a bit on the quiet side,but still chatty,while the other was more forthcoming,and chattier.

The names of  Bob,Tommy,and Jimmy,aal come into my mind,as a think back,but wat aam leading up to,was that a definately divvent see No 6 as one of the Tilmouth twins.

A knew that lad weel,but canna get he's nyem....he was a baccy-chowa,if a remember reetly,not that that's got owt ti dae wi it!

The Twins were the spit of their aad chep,cos we use ti say he couldn't weedle he's way oot o' that one......![an aad pit joke ti young new Dads.]

No 6's tash might be wat serves as a memory jolt ,cos the Tilmouth Twins had exact tashes,as young kids....but wadn't it be great if the scientists cud invent a memory pill....it would save a lot of speculation!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HIGH PIT WILMA said:

Hi Alan,we aal see folks differently,in hindsight,cos No 2 reminds me of Brian Davison..[no"D"!],who was marra's on the same face [R22's],alang wi Sandy,who started his own Haulage business with  an aad Transit Van,and progressed to three £100,000 Huge Articulated trucks,as well as vans,under the namme of "Sanderson's Haulage Co",based at Bebside.[Now deceased R.I.P. Sandy].

A mentioned that for reference,so he's marra's, will knaa hoo am on aboot.Bucky Sharples,[also deceased..R.I.P.Bucky],also worked wi thi Brian hoo aam thinking of.[mebbe aam mistaken..it's two against one!..and Alan Dickson is usually spot on!..just a nagging doubt in my mind...]

In 1971, the Tilmouth twins were under my charge,in the Beamont seam,at Bates,when a was a young Deputy.

A canny pair o' kids who were nae bother,and who were on leading the supplies inti the face,in 84's Tailgate haulage road.

Their Dad,also worked in there,on the face,and when a used ti keep remarking hoo identical they were,he used ti say,he had ti bray both of them when they were bairns,if one did owt wrang,each would blame the other,and HE couldn't tell them apart![the twins telt me the same thing happened at school..they would blame each other ..so they both got wrang!]

They really were remarkable in likeness.

The only way aa could tell them apart was in their nature.

One was a bit on the quiet side,but still chatty,while the other was more forthcoming,and chattier.

The names of  Bob,Tommy,and Jimmy,aal come into my mind,as a think back,but wat aam leading up to,was that a definately divvent see No 6 as one of the Tilmouth twins.

A knew that lad weel,but canna get he's nyem....he was a baccy-chowa,if a remember reetly,not that that's got owt ti dae wi it!

The Twins were the spit of their aad chep,cos we use ti say he couldn't weedle he's way oot o' that one......![an aad pit joke ti young new Dads.]

No 6's tash might be wat serves as a memory jolt ,cos the Tilmouth Twins had exact tashes,as young kids....but wadn't it be great if the scientists cud invent a memory pill....it would save a lot of speculation!!

I'll post your thoughts on the other sites HPW and see what response we get.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Alan,as always!..haven't been on lately,having a rough time here wi health problems between me and me Wife!...gett'n aad isn't much fun!

12 hours ago, HIGH PIT WILMA said:

Thanks Alan,as always!..haven't been on lately,having a rough time here wi health problems between me and me Wife!...gett'n aad isn't much fun!

No response off the others sites, yet, Bill.

Health - I work on the basis that I enjoyed myself getting to this state so I just have to put up with the consequences :). I always keep an eye oot for you when I pass through Bomarsund as I expect to see you + dog outside your bungalow - near the bus stop?

• Like 1

Heh heh!..they used ti say hard work nivvor killed any bugga....it's done a canny job up ti noo atween us two....!

Did ye not notice me profile amendment,Alan,we lost LBJ on February 19th..the Vet advised we had to put her to sleep,she had Lymphoma

Cancer in all her Lymph Glands throughout her body...it only showed under her throat as a big lump in the last three days. She also had Kidney failure as a result,as well as the Arthritis.

We were all devasted in this hoose...I still get full yet,if a luk at her photo,or even hear certain songs what a used ti sing when we were oot

for late neet walks.[..a canna sing like Tom Jones,but aa enjoy mesel singing anywheh..]

The house feels empty still,and we keep expecting her to come into the rooms where we are at any one time.

Aa aalwis said..ye dinna get any grief from pets,Dogs especially,it's people yi get thi grief from..

A aalwis caaled LBJ "Me Little Darling" when a spoke ti her..and a used ti sing that song [from thi 1950's..by the Diamonds],every night we went oot..it became a habit,and a used ti sing reet oot lood,so anybody hearing me wud think a shudda been tekkn away!

Thanks for keeping an eye oot,Michelle Grant..[Newbie] PM'd me and said she replied to my PM,but lost the text..a said if Alan could possibly sort it,ye wud!

A dinna knaa where she tried tried contacting me on...whether it was E-mail,or wor PM service.[it turns oot we are related!..thanks to this forum we have made contact through my seeing a kid in the Gallery school pics..amzing hoo fate brings people tigitha!]

Thanks for your help and patience as usual Alan.

Cheers,Bill.

ps..just doon from the Bus stop![Bob Mole lived here before we bought it from  him and his Wife Frances,they moved BACK to Seghill..be funny if ye happened ti knaa them!...]

14 minutes ago, HIGH PIT WILMA said:

A dinna knaa where she tried tried contacting me on...whether it was E-mail,or wor PM service.[it turns oot we are related!..thanks to this forum we have made contact through my seeing a kid in the Gallery school pics..amzing hoo fate brings people tigitha!]

@HIGH PIT WILMA - did you notice Michelle had joined this group? Try a PM on this group and see if she picks it up. I can tell her via the Cambois Facebook group when you have PMed her :)

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now