Marshall's Buildings - Front Street East

Jan Lockhart (Facebook group Bygone Bedlington) asked if anyone had a photo of Marshall's Buildings as she wanted to add one to her family tree album to show where her relatives lived. She could only remember them as derelict next to the Dun Cow pub. I remembered @Cympil had a photo of Front Street east in his   Gallery>Historic Bedlington>Bedlington & Netherton Old Photo`s album so I shared the photo with her and Marshall's Buildings identified as the building to the left of the Dun Cow, towards Millfield.

Marshal's buildings.jpg

@Reedy then added a photo to the topic with this comment :- I found this picture in Dad’s collection. It’s marked as ‘Millfield area - Miss Watson outside her sweet shop’. Sorry no date or exact location.

Dad said :-  Miss Watson had 2 brothers who were both painters & decorators and had a storage building on the left as you turned into Millfield. One brother was called Murray. The sweet shop was on the right as you entered Millfield.

Miss watson's sweet shop.jpg

Can anyone remember Marshall's Buildings or Miss Watson's sweet shop?

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

There was an old building that was took over and used as storage for Watson the painter and he had a large sign outside. I was told it used to be a windmill before that  hence the name Millfield. I’ve always wondered if there re any photos out there of the original mill. 

My nana used to carry flour from the mill to the bakery across the road where Jonny Johnson’s building is now.  Was it Wright’s the bakers? Would be 1920s early 30s 

1 hour ago, Jack be said:

There was an old building that was took over and used as storage for Watson the painter and he had a large sign outside. I was told it used to be a windmill before that  hence the name Millfield. I’ve always wondered if there re any photos out there of the original mill. 

My nana used to carry flour from the mill to the bakery across the road where Jonny Johnson’s building is now.  Was it Wright’s the bakers? Would be 1920s early 30s 

@Jack be - don't know anything about Wright's the Bakers.

The Bedlington Mill (Corn) is identified on the maps produced in 1866 and 1898 and then the 1924 map states Bedlington Mill ( Disused).

The only photo that I have seen that shows part of the mill building(s) is one without a date from the bottom of the Bedlington Bank and you can see a chimney - top left.

1866 bed Mill Corn.jpg

1898 Bed Mill.jpg

1924 dissused.jpg

Bedlington Bank.jpg

That's my homeland and all my precious memories of Hollymount Square...gaan doon that bank ti thi woods and the river ti play...that wall was completely covered with lads' names and drawings...it wasn't called "Graffiti" in them days...it wasn't owt at aal...just loads of great artwork and initials...the street cred went ti thi one who could reach thi highest up ti put their names on!!!

A can remember Derek Wilkinson,[his younger brother Alan was my classmate and lifelong friend at school],climbing up the old mill building to reach a Pidgeon's nest,and falling to thi ground..nearly killing himself in the process...a wonder if Derek is still alive and well...he is on aal the Whitley school football team pics wi Matty Hall...as is Alan also.

Great old photo of the Bank..thanks for sharing it...these pics don't half bring the memories flooding back of my childhood!

• Like 1

Great stuff! My brothers used to play in the mill. They said there was an old settee under a double trap door and the kids would stand on the trapdoors and someone would release them and they’d fall onto the settee haha. Mid/late 70s I think. 

• Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now