Baedling Manor

Posted on the Bedlington remembered Facebook group by Brian Jenkins was the following comment on the meaning of the Anglo Saxon word Bædling :-

Brian Jenkinson

'I guess that you will all be aware of Baedling Manor on the Front Street. The very word is very similar to Bedlington so some may assume that it is it's origins
I think that the person / committee who chose the name are unaware of what a Baedling is / was! The term does go back to Anglo Saxon days or earlier (as suggested by the spelling) but has nothing to do with the town of Bedlington. A Baedling was a term used to describe a person of indeterminate sexuality. This does not mean they were bisexual as it goes much wider than that. A Baedling was usually a male who would suffer penance for having sex with another Baedling, another man or with a beast. Clearly there was a difference between having sex with a Baedling and having sex with a man! A homosexual / bisexual man was called a "waepedman" (meaning a weaponed man). No prizes for guessing the euphemism folk!
So, when you decide to put your granny into a home think of the real meaning!'

Baedling manor.jpg

2 hours ago, Andy Millne said:

Cheers @Andy Millne - I thought it had been discussed in the past but my search of "Baedling" didn't return any matches so I assumed it was jut my memory playing games with me :wacko:

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now