Happy New Year - 2019

16 hours ago, Maggie/915 said:

Where were  you when the moon landing happened .?

I was renting a bedroom in a house in Forest gate, London E7.

Neither the landlady or the other one bedroom tenant had a TV so the three of us watched it on my rented set.

Every summer a load of us lads* spent a month or so staying in Keswick (in the town's camping site) basically getting p*ssed and funding it all through our weekly SS Giro sent 'poste restante'  from the SS Office ( in Bedders Council Offices on Front St) to Keswick post office ... it was for 4 guinees or £4.4s.  We were all in the Woolpack pub in Keswick watching the moon landing and getting p*ssed - the pub was operating a 'lock-in'.

Anyone who was 15+ and still in full-time education could 'sign-on' with the SS during the school holidays and get the the Giro;  if you were at home you had to go into the SS and sign a green card to collect the Giro.  But, if you said you were going on holiday, but were prepared to return if a job was found for you, you could arrange to have the Giro sent to a forwarding address, hence Keswick Post Office.  We operated this weeze for about 4 years every summer.  It's funny, but years later when I was in my early 60s I applied for an old age pension forcast - they sent me a list of my history of NI contribution and I got 3 years of credit due to this signing-on weeze.  I'm amazed they kept the records.

*some of those lads are members of this forum or have been rediscovered through it.

For me 1969 was living and working away from home.

On the night of the 20th (blast off was the 16th) I recall thinking its time to get home and watch tv on the rediffusion set .No signal on anything else.

I recall a glass or two of rice wine. Underfloor central heating was a good start for the wine. The mix with three days of stirring then seven days to go before the Demi John was needed .

History or Herstory. The decades roll on and when you have lived through seven it all becomes a story in itself.

Trouble is that ,maybe , no one is too interested.

Troubke at ‘Mill’ and current problems take     over.

i agree with Billy Connelly ‘Life becomes an adventure’ at this advanced old age

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now