Matty Hall - Whitley Memorial & Medowdale Teacher

Posted by his grandson on the Facebook Bygone Bedlington group :- 

Hope this is ok to post. My Grandad Matty Hall, former teacher at the Whitley and Meadowdale, has been mentioned on this site quite a lot over the years so I just wanted to let people know of his passing and funeral arrangements. The service is on 28th December, 1.30 at St Cuthberts Church, then afterwards at Market Place Club to celebrate his life, all welcome. Thanks

Jools Storey Sorry for your loss. Great teacher, fond memories of my time at meadowdale in his class. x
Manage
Dot Leddy
Dot Leddy Sorry for your loss a great teacher and a proper gentleman x

Anne Walker
Anne Walker Sorry got your loss he was a great teacher x
Manage

· Reply · 4h
Tracy Armitage
Tracy Armitage Sorry for you're loss such a luvly man and a great teacher x
Manage
Suzanne Young
Suzanne Young Sorry to hear this, he was one great teacher 😥
Manage

· Reply · 4h
Barbara McGlen
Barbara McGlen Oh that’s so sad. He taught a lot of us.

Alizon Jayne Carr
Alizon Jayne Carr So sorry to hear this, your grandad was a lovely man, a funny man and a great teacher, he genuinely liked kids which makes a huge difference when you’re a teacher.
Manage
Sandra Buckham Maddison
Sandra Buckham Maddison My condolences to you all matty was a true gentleman my dad was a good friend of his when covering at meadow Park he reconsized me straight away rip matty x

Jeff Carr Sad news, Matty was a top man, sorry for your loss.
Manage

Alison Preston
Alison Preston Ah sorry to hear this John we lived 2 doors down on Church Lane for years and he taught me at Meadowdale, he was a lovely man xx

Barron Tracey Kenneth
Barron Tracey Kenneth Alison Preston I went to school with you.I was Tracey Palmer then.Hope you are ok .Never seen you for years.Matty Hall was a lovely teacher.Found the photo the other day when we were in the netball team Xxxxxx
Manage

lan Chilli Man Stuart So sad to hear this. Great memories of Matty from West Ridge, he was a dab hand with the blackboard ruler back in the day. Later on in life met him in the Grapes a few times and had a pint with him and a chat. Respect.

Sonia Miller
Sonia Miller So sorry to hear this. Rip Mr Hall. He taught me in Meadowdale and he was a great teacher.
Manage

Denise Green
Denise Green Sorry for ur loss a great teacher xxx
Manage

· Reply · 3h
Steve Oliver
Steve Oliver RIP I remember him well from the Whitley.
Manage

Gemma Henderson
Gemma Henderson I'm sorry for you an your family lose he was a lovely man used to look after him
Manage
David Short
David Short Sorry to hear of your loss. Matty was a great teacher and one of Bedlingtons great characters.

Eileen Tyers
Eileen Tyers So sorry for your loss he was good teacher xx
Manage

Clare Foster
Clare Foster he was a great teacher x so sorry
Manage

· Reply · 3h
Karen Gear Marks
Karen Gear Marks He was a fab teacher sorry to here this xx
Manage

Keith Docherty
Keith Docherty sad loss of a very well respected Gentleman & great friend of both of my parents sadly gone also
Manage

Paula Stokoe
Paula Stokoe Sad news Marty Hall was a great teacher, one of the best, sorry for your loss x
Manage

· Reply · 3h
Gwen Clelland
Gwen Clelland My sincere condolences to you and your family.He was a superb teacher ,who always put his students first x
Manage

Susan Dixon
Susan Dixon Best teacher. Rip
Manage

Sarah Gibson
Sarah Gibson Sorry to hear this , he was my teacher in meadowdale too.. when I used to see him on the front street he still knew my name !! Sending my love x
Manage
Sharon Armstrong
Sharon Armstrong True gent. He taught me at Meadowdale & was one of my fav teachers there. An inspiring, kind, caring man. So sorry for your loss. X
Manage
James Mole
James Mole So sorry to hear of his passing a great teacher and a well respected gentleman.i have great memories of him when I was at school.
Manage
Henry Sadler
Henry Sadler was my teacher in meadowdale what a lovelly man and a great teacher sorry to hear of his passing xxx

Brian Turner
Brian Turner Rip mr hall he was my teacher at the whitley remember the blackboard duster but a good teacher old school.r.i.p.
Manage

Keith Scantlebury
Keith Scantlebury Sorry to hear of your loss. He was my teacher at the Whitley Memorial when I was there in the mid 60's. Is Linda your mam ?
Manage

Diane Straker
Diane Straker Sorry to hear your sad news. Your grandad was my teacher at meadow dale. He was a lovely man and one of the teachers who inspired me. One of Bedlington finest who was respected by all xx

Neil Gray
Neil Gray Top man & he never forgot anyone’s name. Rip
Manage

Shirley Cairns Etheridge
Shirley Cairns Etheridge So sorry to hear the sad news Mr Hall was a true gentleman he taught my daughter and son RIP Mr Hall xx
Manage

Carol Hakin
Carol Hakin So sorry to hear this.He was a lovely man taught all my girls and always spoke to me when I saw him on the street.x

Judith Anderson
Judith Anderson So sorry to hear your sad news Marty was a lovely man x
Manage

Marie Alexander Bell
Marie Alexander Bell Sorry for your loss he was a lovely man x
Manage
Michelle Cram Yearham
Michelle Cram Yearham One of the best teachers in meadowdale rest in peace sir xx

Julie Scott
Julie Scott Condolences to all your family I remember him well from Meadowdale .

Brian Kirtley
Brian Kirtley Sorry for your loss,great man and teacher.

Dawn Oliver - Doyle
Dawn Oliver - Doyle He was a teacher everyone remembers fondly. I often think of him when I think of my old teachers. Lovely man. Firm but fair and a real heart of gold. Thinking of you all

Jan Lockhart
Jan Lockhart Sorry for your loss a lovely man as well as a great teacher knew him from the Whitley Memorial x

Louise Furness
Louise Furness Sorry for your loss lovely teacher lovely Man rip mr hall

Paula Armstrong Nigel Cotton
Paula Armstrong Nigel Cotton He was a perfect gentleman and even better teacher our deepest condolences to all the family
Manage

Gary Gazza Taylor
Gary Gazza Taylor I am so sad to hear of Matty (Mr Halls as I always addressed him) passing , I was lucky enough to have been taught by him but also got to know him socially later on in life when we both called the Barrington Arms our
Local.. if it is ok I would like to attend the service to pay my respects to a man I respected greatly....

Keith Lightley
Keith Lightley Sad news indeed - as Alison’s big bro I too was a neighbour - great memories of Whitley Memorial football and disciplinary antics. Prayers for you and the rest of the family.

Edie Purvis
Edie Purvis So sorry for your loss Matty hall was one of my teachers he was a true gentleman rip Matty xx

Margaret Speller
Margaret Speller So very sad to hear this, one of the best teachers the Whitley ever had. 
Thoughts and prayers to you and the family.
Manage

John Turnbull
John Turnbull So sorry to hear of your loss. Lovely man, great teacher and well respected by all those in my year

Janine Brown
Janine Brown Sorry for your loss. Brilliant teacher, and a lovely man.

Alan Charlton
Alan Charlton Sorry to hear of your loss. Great teacher played a big part in my education. From the Charlton Family
Manage

Kim Burrell
Kim Burrell Sorry to hear of your loss. I was lucky enough to be taught by him. Lovely man and great teacher. He was one of my favourites

Diane Mattocks
Diane Mattocks Sorry for your loss. Condolences to all the family x

Jane Murray Seccombe
Jane Murray Seccombe So sorry for your loss x
Manage
Ina Breadin
Ina Breadin I also was one of Mattys pupils so sorry to hear of his passing true gentleman fabulous teacher so sorry for your loss may you rest in peace Mr Hall your work is now done xx 😘

Susan Murther
Susan Murther So sorry for your loss .great teacher and a lovely gentleman .respected by all who new him xxx
Manage

Sian Barnard
Sian Barnard So to hear your sad news especially at this time of year.

Jan Murther
Jan Murther So sad to hear this Mr hall was my favourite teacher I was in his class at the Whitley in 1968/69 he was a lovely man and a great teacher rest with the angels sir xx

Norma Maughan
Norma Maughan So sad to hear the news about Matty,my teacher many years ago and used to see him and his pal at The Top Club."Happy Memories".

Donyale Marc Porrelli
Donyale Marc Porrelli So sorry xx

Susan James-Hemsted
Susan James-Hemsted So sad he was my teacher in the late 50s some great memories .You are in my prayers x

Gwen Finnigan
Gwen Finnigan A true gentleman who was loved by many xx

Mick Cunningham
Mick Cunningham Great teacher matty and a nice guy.
Manage

Ray Matthews
Ray Matthews Absolutely fantastic teacher and a great man still new your name after many many year's after school and what a great shot with a piece of chalk and a blackboard duster RIP matty

Keith Scantlebury
Keith Scantlebury Ray Matthews not a bad hand with that blackboard ruler either.

Ray Matthews
Ray Matthews Keith Scantlebury that's what's missing in the schools today

Derek Nufc Lawson
Derek Nufc Lawson Sorry for your loss.Good teacher RIP Mr Hall
Manage
Jean Hale
Jean Hale So sorry to hear about your loss he taught me and all my four sisters and my husband and he played football with my dad he was a truly lovely man xx
Manage

Chris Oliver
Chris Oliver Great teacher and a good man ! We always had to test him on the names of every teams home ground in the football league , he knew them all .

Janice Hillerby So sad to year of his passing. I was in the same class as his daughter Linda through Whitley Memorial & Bedlington Grammar School. What a lovely gentleman he was, also his Mum was a dinner lady whilst at Whitley Memorial. Remember them both fondly.

Keith Scantlebury
Keith Scantlebury Janice Hillerby. Your memory is a lot better than mine. I can only remember Peggy Ashdown as a dinner lady.
Manage

Liane Todd
Liane Todd My Mam has just said she was at the Whitley school when he was introduced as a new teacher there....Very sad news
Manage

Christine Maclennan
Christine Maclennan Sad to hear your news. Condolences to you and your family. Xx
Manage

Michael Eastlake
Michael Eastlake Sad news, a great teacher who has had a positive impact on many, sometimes with his yard stick complete with split at the end.
Your grandad was much loved and as seen from many comments had a life well led. Thoughts are with your family.

Angela Henderson
Angela Henderson Matty taught me. I remember passing the house down the church lane and he was playing piano and singing. I used to play with his elder daughter until I moved away.
Manage

Richard Ellis

Paul Maddison
Paul Maddison So sorry for your loss. He was the best teacher I ever had. was in the prefab at the old Whitley memorial School 1960s. He will be missed. Paul.
Manage

Judith Bosomworth Sorry for your loss.Good teacher RIP Mr Hall
Manage

John Docherty
John Docherty Remember him well a lovely man condolences to his family
Manage

Sarah Johnson
Sarah Johnson How long was he at meadow dale. C

Derek Stephenson
Derek Stephenson A lovely man R.I.P. Matty
Manage

Barron Tracey Kenneth
Barron Tracey Kenneth He taught me at Meadowdale.He was one of my favourite teachers.Lovely man.I used to see him when I was older and he never forgot me.So sorry to hear the sad news.Definitely a gentleman Xxxxx
Manage

Margaret Vare
Margaret Vare Awww so sorry to hear this... Often wondered about him. I remember his tuning fork haaa thought it was magic x

Tony Lee
Tony Lee So sorry to hear this news, he was a great teacher, r I p matty hall

Gillian McMaster
Gillian McMaster Lovely man, a local celebrity, everyone knew him, sad news indeed.

Kath Simpson
Kath Simpson Oh how sad. I remember him well and his daughter. He didn’t teach me but taught my sister and brother Margaret and John Hall. I did however, do work experience at Westridge - prior to Meadowdale being built and he offered me a job in the new school - unfortunately I wasn’t to qualify for another year - so timing not quite right. He was a lovely man. Well thought of and I know my brother will be devastated.

Maureen Quait
Maureen Quait Kath, you won't remember me but I knew you as a baby, I was best friends with your sister Margaret and I was so envious of her having a lovely baby sister. Unfortunately Margaret and I drifted apart when we went to different schools at 11, but we wereSee more
Manage

Gregg Maddison
Gregg Maddison A lovely man x
David Laynovich
David Laynovich Sad news mate!! 😟 , not in town but will have a drink to him .. he was a big character and I still remember his off topic tales in class 😊
Manage

Julie Chrisp
Julie Chrisp So sorry to hear that, he was a great man and teacher.

Marjorie Morton

Mick Hedley
Mick Hedley I was at Whitley memorial when he was there a top man. Sorry to hear.

Anne Scott
Anne Scott Please accept my sincere condolences. I knew your Grandad as I was School Nurse for both those schools from 1966.
Manage

Alison Kirkpatrick Hart
Alison Kirkpatrick Hart One of the best, R.I.P xx

Wendy Allison
Wendy Allison So sorry to hear, he was a good man and teacher x

Jimmy Lowrie
Jimmy Lowrie So sorry good teacher and let us listen when football was on the radio during lessons one of us had to look out for headmaster

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

Margaret Williamson
Margaret Williamson Fond memories of Mr Hall. I was a schoolfriend of Isabel and she always had to address him as Mr Hall in school.
ge
Niel Watson
Niel Watson knew kids from the Whitley they had a lot of respect for him

Pamela Robinson
Pamela Robinson Best teacher ever sorry for your loss x R.I.P Matty Hall

Janet Pattison
Janet Pattison A truly great teacher and a very nice man tought me at the Whitley signed Lawrence Pattison

Susan Brown
Susan Brown Such a shame to hear of your loss.he was my favourite teacher who taught me at meadowdale he was such a lovely man & never passed me by without saying hello.He will be missed but never forgotten.R.I.P Mr. Hall x
Manage

Allison Nicholson
Allison Nicholson So sorry to hear this, Mr Hall was a great teacher a gentleman, one of my favourite teachers xx

Freda Davidson
Freda Davidson Sorry to hear this John,he was a great guy,hope you and the family are well xxx
Manage

· Reply · 23h
Denise Short Wilson
Denise Short Wilson Aww so sorry to hear this such a lovely man , my dad thought a lot of him , one of bedlington s true gentleman x

Margaret Speller
Margaret Speller Lovely man, one of the greats of Bedlington. 🙏🏻

David Eastlake
David Eastlake Great teacher and a nice man, stickler for discipline which the boys all respected even after a rap with the blackboard ruler.
Manage

Gloria Lawrie
Gloria Lawrie Sad to hear he is no longer with us, he touched so many lives. He was my teacher at Whitley and remembered me many years later at the allotment society when I bought my blood fish and bone.
Manage
Tracey Marshall Was Elliott
Tracey Marshall Was Elliott Omg we still remember what he thought us Suzanne Young he was a lovely man don’t make teacher like this anymore x
Manage

Susan Young Aw sorry to hear this sad news, I had a lot of respect for Matty when he was my headmaster at school and spoke to him when I saw him up the street. Condolences to all the family x
Manage

Charles Hedley
Charles Hedley Sort to hear this he was a lovely man x
Manage

Allan Kidd
Allan Kidd Really sorry to hear this. We used to have a pint together in The Grapes in the 70's. A lovely man.

Liz Thornton
Liz Thornton I bet there are some fabulous funny stories- he was a gentleman.

Sidney Armitage
Sidney Armitage Never taught by the great man but he always spoke on passing a gent RIP
Manage

· Reply · 22h
Allison Nicholson
Allison Nicholson Does anyone know how old Mr Hall was, he must have been a good age bless him, lovely man xx

Mary Orr Allison Nicholson Yes he was 93 .lovely man.xx
Manage

Ann Brown
Ann Brown Sorry to hear that, lovely man xx
Manage
Debra Innes
Debra Innes So sorry for your loss, he was my favourite teacher at meadowdale x
Manage

Kathy Moscrop
Kathy Moscrop Sorry to hear that, good old school teacher, firm at times but only for our own good, was a gentleman and told some great stories. Sad news 😞

Michelle Anne Wilson
Michelle Anne Wilson Sorry to hear this he was a lovely bloke and friends with my dad. Sorry for your loss x

Anne Graham
Anne Graham Sorry to here this he was one of the best teacher's ever x

John Wilkinson
John Wilkinson Sorry to hear about your loss.
He was a great teacher and a lovely man.
He could really sing and was a very good footballer too.
Manage

Kath Lanty
Kath Lanty So sorry to hear about Matty he was a lovely man and a great teacher

Marilyn Elizabeth Taylor
Marilyn Elizabeth Taylor My sincere condolences to you John & your family. I was a good friend of your mam Linda through grammar school & for years after. I knew you as a baby & your grandad & grandma visiting their home to see Linda. Your grandad was a lovely man & l knew himSee more

Geoff Oliver
Geoff Oliver Condolences sorry to hear this.Great teacher top bloke

Melanie Crisp
Melanie Crisp One of my favourite teachers he was the best x
Manage

Kevin Bates
Kevin Bates I've still got centimetres and inches imprinted on my arse a great teacher and a gentleman RIP Matty
Manage

Gary Gazza Taylor
Gary Gazza Taylor Kevin Bates haven’t we all mate.. nothing but respect for the man all the same ..
Manage

Les Humble
Les Humble Great teacher.

Ron Susan Davison
Ron Susan Davison So sorry for your loss he was a brilliant teacher and a very good friend of my dad xx
Manage

Graeme Younger
Graeme Younger So sorry to hear. Fond memories of Matty at school.
He played football with my Dad John "Jackie" Younger, Bedlington Mechanics I think.
He once showed me a team photo with my Dad and Mr Hall on it.
See more

Vivienne Dodds
Vivienne Dodds Sorry to hear of your loss he taught me at Whitley 58years ago lovely man and teacher x
Manage

Christine Humble
Christine Humble Sorry to hear he was a lovely teacher x
Manage

Louise Scarr
Louise Scarr So sorry for your loss. He was a lovely man. X
Manage

Michael Hyde
Michael Hyde Sad to hear of Matty,s passing . Great teacher n great bloke. Massive respect even tho he wallopes me with blackboard ruler a few times . R.i.p sir

Liz Thornton
Liz Thornton I think the church will be packed. So much respect and fond memories.
Manage

Peter Arries
Peter Arries Sorry for your loss, Matty tought me and was a true gent, condolences to your family

Tracy Allbright
Tracy Allbright Sorry to hear of your loss John he was a lovely man xxx

Jayne Younger
Jayne Younger Sorry for your loss. Lovely man. Memorable teacher. An irreplaceable part of our Bedlington community. X

Pete Davidson
Pete Davidson Sad news John. Sorry for your loss mate.
Manage

Kathy Moscrop
Kathy Moscrop 4MT 85-86 remember him saying ‘If in doubt say nowt’ 😊

Melanie Donaldson
Melanie Donaldson So sorry to hear this John Davidson xx

Debra Dixon
Debra Dixon loved him. was one of the mintest teachers ever
Manage
Pauline Nicholls
Pauline Nicholls Very best wishes to your family - I played in your home as a friend of your mum Linda when we were young so knew him well - fond memories - Pauline (nee Garbutt)

Jonine Dawson
Jonine Dawson Awww so sorry for your loss... He was some character! I can always remember how he could be writing on the blackboard with his back to the class and in one swift move pick up the duster, spin and throw it at the single person who was being silly. As a teacher myself that's some skill!
Manage
George Latty
George Latty Like Dr Brown, he was another Mr Bedlington.
Sara Iley
Sara Iley Sorry to hear he's died.
He went to school with my Dad and taught me.
He was a lovely man and always had a kind word.
See more
Manage
Julie Taylor
Julie Taylor So sorry to hear that, he wax a grwat teacher. Your grandma was our grandma's bridesmaid! My love and thoughts are with you all. X
Manage

Jonine Dawson
Jonine Dawson Julie Taylor your spelling is great lol. I'll hunt out a photo and post it x
Manage

John Davidson
John Davidson Thanks so much everyone for your wonderful messages and memories of my Grandad. He would be owa the moon reading them and he loved Bedlington.

Christine Maclennan
Christine Maclennan John Davidson although I'm a Bedlington lass I'm from the station so never knew your grandad. You must be so proud of him leaving happy memories for so many people. Despite the situation hope you and the family still have a great Christmas. Xx
Manage

Margaret Lee
Margaret Lee He was such a lovely guy and brilliant teacher so sorry for your loss xx
Manage

Janet Percy
Janet Percy So sorry for your loss, your Granda taught me and I cared for him when he was a resident in a local care home, he will be missed, RIP Matty xxx😢💔

Bernadette Hall Sorry to hear this sad news John our regards to all the family he was a proper gentleman ..from John & Bernadette
Manage
Karen Shaw
Karen Shaw Such sad news, so sorry for your loss. He was a great teacher and a lovely man 😞

Angie Plater
Angie Plater Awwww rest in peace Mr Hall, great history teacher at Meadowdale.. 
Terry Rowe
Terry Rowe R.I.P. Matty, he was my teacher at Whitley memorial school.

Jayne Wilkinson
Jayne Wilkinson I’m so sorry to hear of Mattys passing and I would like to take the opportunity to say what a nice man he was R.I.P
Manage

Alison Dodds
Alison Dodds Sorry for you loss lovely man ❤️
😥

Ron Jones

Ron Jones Great teacher and my favourite one as well.fond memories from 1963 .R.I.P Matty
Dean Etheridge
Dean Etheridge He was my favourite teacher at Meadowdale what a true gentleman he was and such a nice guy ! My thoughts and prayers are with him and he's family 😪 at this sad time

Carole Mulgrew
Carole Mulgrew He was my husbands teacher he thought a great deal of him he used to say he was a great teacher

Mike Irvine
Mike Irvine Sad to hear this he was a teacher at Whitley Memorial when I was there early 1950's. Nice bloke, I was never in his class but he took sports classes for the lads, mainly football.
Manage
Louise Todd
Louise Todd He was a great teacher and a great fella. R.I.P. Mr Hall.
Peter Oliver
Peter Oliver He was one of my teachers at the Whitley Memorial School in the late 50s and 10, 20years afterwards if I bumped into him on the front street he would greet me by name and I don’t think I-was the only ex-pupil he remembered, lovely man and great teacher, R.I.P Matty.

• 1 month later...

I was really sad at hearing of Matty's passing,he was a great teacher who balanced strict discipline with a fond affection for his pupils,and gained a lot of respect. I am pleased that I caught up with Matty at his home as I was passing by on the way to my Mother's house,one day,to shake his hand and thank him for making a man of me.We had a good crack,and he remembered my family,he taught me and my three Sisters,and my older Brother.He was still a true gentleman ...I am now approaching 75 years of age,and can vividly remember him singing on Parent/Teacher's open days..lovely baritone voice.[in the mid-1950's]

Great teacher ..will be sadly missed by all who knew him.

R.I.P. Matty Hall,Sir.

Bill Allison.

21 hours ago, HIGH PIT WILMA said:

I was really sad at hearing of Matty's passing,he was a great teacher who balanced strict discipline with a fond affection for his pupils,and gained a lot of respect. I am pleased that I caught up with Matty at his home as I was passing by on the way to my Mother's house,one day,to shake his hand and thank him for making a man of me.We had a good crack,and he remembered my family,he taught me and my three Sisters,and my older Brother.He was still a true gentleman ...I am now approaching 75 years of age,and can vividly remember him singing on Parent/Teacher's open days..lovely baritone voice.[in the mid-1950's]

Great teacher ..will be sadly missed by all who knew him.

R.I.P. Matty Hall,Sir.

Bill Allison.

@HIGH PIT WILMA - I posted your comment on Facebook where Matty Hall's grandson had posted the news of Matty Hall.

This is the response from his grandson - John Davidson :-

John Davidson Alan Edgar thanks so much for taking the time to post this, it's a lovely tribute from Bill. I remember talking to him outside my Grandads last summer when he was walking down the lane and I was doing the garden, we had a good crack, smashing fella.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now