James King Family

Bradford

Hello from Canada,

I have recently found a great deal of information on my father's side of the Brown Family that came from the Bedlington/Barrington area. Now I'm looking for some information

on James King family. Lived # 7 New South Row Bedlington had a son named Joseph and a daughter Elizabeth. James DOB is approximately 1850-54  He was a renowned Cricket player for Bedlington back in his day and was a founding member of a few clubs there.Anything would help...Cheers

Bradford Brown

Lethbridge Alberta Canada

@Bradford - there were two collieries in Bedlington. The one where the Brown side of your family lived, the Bedlington 'A' pit had the houses named South Row and the Doctor Pit had the houses named New South Row. This extract from Google shows approximately where the two pits were located :- 

Bedlington.jpg

Extracts from the old maps showing the Doctor Pit and rows :- 

Dr Pit Rows 1947.jpg

Don't have a date for this image but it shows how close to the Doctor Pit the rows were :-  

Dr Pit & Rows named.jpg

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)
  • Like 1

@Bradford - never followed Bedlington Cricket Club team and I have no idea how long they have been in existence. They are still going but there web site does not give any historical info :-

Hirst Head 2018.jpg

Looking at the old maps, 1858, :-  the Hirst Head group appears to have been in existence since the middle of the 19th century. Although part of their land was sold off years ago for a housing development the cricket club still plays at the Hirst Head :- 

Hirst Head 1858.jpg

Bedlington.jpg

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

Checking on the FreeBMD genealogy site for any registered births, between 1840 & 1870, for the name James King only returns one record. 

Checks for Joseph & Elizabeth King  (using 1860 through to 1910 only return records for those names in 1891, 1903, 1905 & 1910.

The Bedlington area registrar's office for the 19th century was Morpeth - approximately 7 miles from Bedlington so it's not unusual for the registration of births, deaths and marriages only to be done if and when the family visited the town where the registrar's was located. 

James King.jpg

Joseph King.jpg

Elizabeth King.jpg

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now