East Street

Rigger

@Rigger Can't think of an East Street in Bedlington. There is an East View, Bedlington Station = terraced row on the A1147 west of Grange Park estate . 

Was Front Street East ever referred to as east Street?

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

10 hours ago, Rigger said:

sorry meant to say East Row

Houses with cardinal points in their name, that I can remember are :- 

Bedlington Station - pit rows - South Row, North Row (& Shop Row)

surrounding area = West View, North View, East View & East Crescent

Top End - only know of New South Row (Dr Pit area)

Stakeford = East View

West Sleekburn = South Row & North Row

Checked some of the old maps and can't find any more:unsure:

Thanks for input.  East Riggs was not around in 1911, I believe they were built about 1939 / 40.  I have identified five soldiers now who lived in East Row when they enlisted.  Census 1911 does not help.  Their entries are amongst the Netherton Steets and Rows.  Is it possible East Row was there in Netherton area? I have no more clues.

29 minutes ago, Rigger said:

Their entries are amongst the Netherton Steets and Rows.  Is it possible East Row was there in Netherton area? I have no more clues.

Never seen it named on the old maps of Netherton Colliery. After the Rows were demolished the terraces that replaced them were First, Second, Plessey & Third Street.

1898 map :-

Netherton Colliery 1898.png

18 hours ago, Rigger said:

I have identified five soldiers now who lived in East Row when they enlisted.  Census 1911 does not help.  Their entries are amongst the Netherton Steets and Rows.  Is it possible East Row was there in Netherton area? I have no more clues.

Rigger, I've researched Netherton for years and never come across an East Row. However, my research has been concentrated on the collieries and what's now known as Nedderton Village. The area of Netherton, particularly in relation to the census' stretches way beyond the colliery rows and has its boundaries as far afield as Hartford and Stannington.

Symptoms has a point when he says the enumerator may have written the name incorrectly. I've found Stone Row written as South Row. Another problem is that street names changed over the years but some residents continued using the old name for many years, even on official documents.

Another problem I've encountered is the apalling handwriting of some enumerators. 'First Row' looks very much like East Row on som parts of the census.

Can you give me a bit more information. You mention that the entries are "among the Netherton streets and rows". What are these other streets and rows that are mentioned? Perhaps those street names might give me a clue. A link to the actual document would be even more useful.

Edited by Canny lass
  • Like 1

The list I am using is the Record of Enlistments held at St.Cuthberts Church.

The list goes from Glebe Row to

- East Row with soldiers house # 10 Brown  house #17 Pitchford house #20 Hamilton and house #23 Morton (Thomas Hope)

It then goes on to Second Street, Netherton.

I have gathered information for the soldiers listed but for my own satisfaction and accuracy  I cannot locate East Row.

The point made about the handwriting is valid and it is possible East could be First.  Unfortuneately none of those listed is shown at East Row in the 1911 Census.

In Summary, the Record of Enlistments shows East Row (no town/ viiage) but the 1911 Census, which is the nearest document shows those listed at a variety of other addresses.

Thanks for your help

Rigger, it might be helpful to cross check the information/adress you obtained from the Record of Enlistment with the info/adress given by the persons themselves in their military records.

From what you say, I'd hazard a quess that East Row may well be First Street - if it is Netherton and if the year of enlistment is later than the date of construction of the 'modern' housing which included First Street.

Prior to the 'modern' houses of First-, Second-, Plessey- and Third Street (built 1905-1909) all houses in the colliery area were Rows. The Francis Pit had Francis Row and South Row. By 1860 these had been renamed New Row and Cross Row.

The Howard Pit had Clifton-, Yard- and Howard Row.

It's not unlikely that people continued to call the modern housing 'Row' and it's not unreasonable to assume that First Street, given its name, was  built in 1905

Edited by Canny lass

Checks show two of the group, Thomas Hamilton and Thomas Hope Morton, both killed in  action are shown on ROH 1914-18 Netherton Coal Company Memorial at St Cuthberts Church which indicates they were miners with the Netherton Coal Company.  Additionally,  Thomas Hamilton was in the Northumberland Fusiliers (Tyneside  Scottish) 23rd Regiiment and  is  listed in the book 'Tyneside Scottish' by Graham Stewart and John Sheen as being associated / living at Netherton. 

Based on the above-  and the information from Canny Lass -  I believe East Row, shown in the Register of Enlistments was indeed at Netherton.

Canny Lass Post

'what you say, I'd hazard a quess that East Row may well be First Street - if it is Netherton and if the year of enlistment is later than the date of construction of the 'modern' housing which included First Street.  Prior to the 'modern' houses of First-, Second-, Plessey- and Third Street (built 1905-1909) all houses in the colliery area were Rows. The Francis Pit had Francis Row and South Row. By 1860 these had been renamed New Row and Cross Row.

The Howard Pit had Clifton-, Yard- and Howard Row.

It's not unlikely that people continued to call the modern housing 'Row' and it's not unreasonable to assume that First Street, given its name, was  built in 1905'

Thanks to all who have helped to clear this up for me.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now