Stokers Buildings - Choppington/Scotland Gate

@Joan Eadington - started a topic in the 'Discussion' section rather than discuss in the Gallery section.

I only know of Stokers Buildings and Stokers Yard in Bedlington.

There are currently properties for sale with the postcode - NE62 5SE = Choppington = Stokers Buildings but I don't know if these houses are built where the old Stokers Buildings of Choppington would have been sited.:(

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

@Newbedders - I'm not a member of the National Library of Scotland or the Old Maps site and I get different results each time I visit the sites. The NLS has so many different options so I had a look at the different years displayed on the                                                             

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/427570/581434/10/100708 site and  non of the buildings - Stoker's - Pringle's - Foster's - Fenwick's or Rutter's appear on the maps pre 1922. Stokers Buildings I could only find on the 1922 & 1924 maps. On the 1937 map Stoker's Buildings are not identified but Fenwick's Buildings appear near to where Stoker's  buildings were :unsure:  

Buildings comp.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

@Joan Eadington - image and comment posted on the Bygone Bedlington Facebook group by 

That’s the remains of it palleted up in Rutherford field inbetween choppington and netherton.

Stokers Buildings plaque.jpg

Info from @johndawsonjune1955 & Isabel McDonald -  Facebook group Past Times History  :-

Choppington, cottages opening ceremony.

Choppington.jpg

Burt Memorial Homes Then & Now (Google street view 2009). Thomas Burt (12 November 1837 – 12 April 1922) was a British trade unionist and one of the first working-class Members of Parliament. Info from Wikipedia = The aged miners' homes at Choppington, under construction at the time of Burt's death were named the Burt Memorial Homes.

Then and Now.jpg

Thomas Burt photo from @johndawsonjune1955

Thomas Burt.jpg

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

19 hours ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

@Joan Eadington - image and comment posted on the Bygone Bedlington Facebook group by 

That’s the remains of it palleted up in Rutherford field inbetween choppington and netherton.

Stokers Buildings plaque.jpg

Forgot to add ---- although I don't have any proof I would assume this plaque, with the year 1877, was from the Stokers Buildings at Beech Grove/Vulcan Place, Bedlington not the Choppington buildings that were under construction in 1922.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now