Hide Adverts
Canny lass

Thomas Glassey

http://www.yourbrisbanepastandpresent.com/search/label/ellerslie

Doing a bit of research on the terraces between Bedlington and Bedlington Stn. today and I found this Australian site that mentions a Thomas Glassey who once lived, worked and was politically active in Bedlington. Has anybody ever heard of him? Could ‘Glassey Terrace’ be named after him?

Brian Cross, have you ever heard of him down under?

Quite a bit on him Canny lass and yes Glassey Terrace is named after him.  

Im sure our history bods will give you the info once our little game is over................

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Canny lass said:

http://www.yourbrisbanepastandpresent.com/search/label/ellerslie

Doing a bit of research on the terraces between Bedlington and Bedlington Stn. today and I found this Australian site that mentions a Thomas Glassey who once lived, worked and was politically active in Bedlington. Has anybody ever heard of him? Could ‘Glassey Terrace’ be named after him?

Brian Cross, have you ever heard of him down under?

Well I never knew that. 

Ok if I use your research on the Bedlington remembered Facebook group and see if any member knows this?

@tonyg - will say he has a document in his box file :rolleyes: 

4 hours ago, Malcolm Robinson said:

Im sure our history bods will give you the info once our little game is over................

.... if they aren't too busy drowning their sorrows, perhaps.

Edited by Canny lass

Thanks Andy. I must have missed that thread. It doesn't ring any bells.

I've never heard of this man but he sounds like somebody I'd like to sit down to dinner with for a good natter.

Edited by Canny lass

1 hour ago, Eggy1948 said:

Well I never knew that. 

Me neither, Eggy!

Ok if I use your research on the Bedlington remembered Facebook group and see if any member knows this?

Of course you can! You know my views on shared knowledge.

@tonyg - will say he has a document in his box file

Please, please tell me that's not a euphemism!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Canny lass said:

Please, please tell me that's not a euphemism!

It's not. This was Tony's comments on Facebook when a question was asked about When The Prince of Wales theater opened on the Glebe Bank :-

Box File.jpg

Thomas Glassey seems to have worked very hard for the good of Bedlington. It would be nice to see him added to our timeline, possibly in connection with 'fresh water to Bedlington' or the formation of the Miner's Assosciation two big steps forward in our history. Malcolm, could you ask John Krzyzanowski if we can use his text on the timeline?

Canny lass,   John works in archives and publishes just about everything that comes up in connection with Bedlington. 

This one is taken from  "Some men, Murders and Mysteries of Old Bedlington" by Evan Martin. 

• Like 1

Yes. I can add a new entry for this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Hide Adverts

• Latest News

• A scheme for hundreds of new homes in Bedlington has been given the nod once again, despite concerns about the linked package of infrastructure improvements.
      The outline application, for up to 500 homes on land south-west of Glebe Farm, off Choppington Road, was first approved last year, but there were several outstanding issues to iron out.
      These have now been dealt with, but given that the Government issued a new version of its planning rules - the NPPF - in the summer, the bid was brought back to this month's meeting of Northumberland County Council's strategic planning committee.
      The planning officers' advice hadn't changed and the scheme was still recommended for approval, with members voting to grant permission by 10 votes to two, with one abstention.
      Earlier in the meeting, Coun Christine Taylor, of West Bedlington Town Council, had raised fears about the site access from Choppington Road, where 'traffic numbers are increasing regularly' and another new development is planned a mile up the road.
      One of the issues dealt with since the previous approvals was the section 106 legal agreement, which will secure 15 per cent affordable housing, a £1.33million education contribution, £346,500 for healthcare and £229,000 for sports and leisure.

• Latest Topics