Doyle's shop - Stead Lane

@Vic Baldry - I thought I had remembered a posting with a photo of Doyles shop, Stead Lane but I couldn't find the posting I was thinking of.

There is however this photo of the shop before it was called Doyle's = Boyle's shop with this comment from Ann Doyle off the Bedlington Facebook group :- 

'This photo was taken outside of Boyle's shop on Stead Lane across the road from Puddlers Row, the shop then belonged to my husbands Great Aunt Grace Boyle the lady on the right of photo, when Grace passed away his Granny Winifred Creigh took over she is the lady on the left they were sisters. The young girl seated Margaret was then aged about 15 the daughter of Winifred, she later married a Tom Doyle and her and her hubby took over the shop and was known as Doyle's Shop Stead Lane. The shop eventually closed in 1980 and I believe to this day the bus stop is still known as Doyle's Shop although it is a house now.'

Boyle's shop Stead Lane.jpg

• 4 months later...

Two great old pics!..Doylies...that's a blast from the past!..my Wife remembers Tommy and his Wife,when she lived at Puddlers Raa as a bairn.[..a just remember the shop but a didn't knaa thi owners..]

Nice ti see an aad cuddy hung onti thi Limma's..[Limbers-shafts...].

• 3 years later...
On 25/06/2018 at 20:02, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

@Vic Baldry - I thought I had remembered a posting with a photo of Doyles shop, Stead Lane but I couldn't find the posting I was thinking of.

There is however this photo of the shop before it was called Doyle's = Boyle's shop with this comment from Ann Doyle off the Bedlington Facebook group :- 

'This photo was taken outside of Boyle's shop on Stead Lane across the road from Puddlers Row, the shop then belonged to my husbands Great Aunt Grace Boyle the lady on the right of photo, when Grace passed away his Granny Winifred Creigh took over she is the lady on the left they were sisters. The young girl seated Margaret was then aged about 15 the daughter of Winifred, she later married a Tom Doyle and her and her hubby took over the shop and was known as Doyle's Shop Stead Lane. The shop eventually closed in 1980 and I believe to this day the bus stop is still known as Doyle's Shop although it is a house now.'

Boyle's shop Stead Lane.jpg

@Anne Gilbert - before your time but this is the shop before Doyle took it over.

Stead Lane.jpg

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Janice Moore said:

Thank you so much for showing these wonderful photos.  We are just in the process of moving into Ivy Cottage, which is what used to be Doyle's Shop.  Being new to the area, it is good to see what it looked like in it's former life.

Welcome to the group @Janice Moore. Unfortunately the photo of Boyle's is the only one of the shop that I know of having been posted on any of the online sites. I always new the shop, in the late 1950's and early 1960's as Doyle's - my granny lived across the road in the Tomlea Avenue Bungalows and she would give us some coppers to go and buy sweets from Doyle's:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now