Bedlington Man Plays for Manchester United

Rigger

Family trees can be full of surprises.  While gathering information for mine I came across a relative who played for Manchester United from 1946 to 1951.   William McGlen was born in Bedlington in 1921. His parents were Daniel, a coal hewer, and Mary Ann McGlen who lived at Doctor Terrace and Beatty Road Bedlington.   William who served an apprenticeship as a bricklayer served in the RAF during the Second World War.  William, a wing half, played for Blyth Spartans and was set to join Notts County when he was signed up to play for Manchester United by Matt Busby in 1946.   In the post war years he played fairly regularly at left back or left half (old terminology).  In total he played 110 league games and 12 FA Cup games for Manchester United.   William scored two goals during his spell with the Reds.   After Manchester United he played with Lincoln City and Oldham Athletic.  In 1957, he became trainer for Lincoln City where he stayed for ten years before becoming manager of Skegness Town 1967/8.  William died in 1999 in Lincolnshire. 

Are there any other stories of Bedlington men who played for big football clubs?

William McGlen 1.png

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Rigger said:

Are there any other stories of Bedlington men who played for big football clubs?

A topic that was started Feb 2017 in Forums >Hobbies & Interests>The Sports Club was who-was-the-best-footballer-from-bedlington-or-surrounding - check this link out :- 

Edited by Eggy1948

17 hours ago, Rigger said:

Eggy Thanks for the info.  I see John Brodie was mentioned. He was a good player and played Sunday League with Cambois Rowing Club when I played with  them.

I knew John, a year older than me, lived in Hirst Villas, Bedlington but attended Monkseaton Grammar.  that as far as I can remember were just as keen to encourage spots as academic studies.

I've just seen the photo of the Cambois team on the sixtownshisp site - Ok if I share it with the Cambois & Bedlington remembered groups?

John isn't a member on Facebook but his partner, Marg Colclough, posted this 'hazy' photo of the 1957 Bedlington Station Primary School team on the Sixtownships site  :-  

27331797_1527879583998728_4321509441213677080_n.jpg

Edited by Eggy1948

Here' another photo with John Brodie. It's Bedlington Juniors FC from circa 1964 or 1965.  The names are as follows Back Row from left to right Charles "Chuck" Allan, Bob Storey, Barry Temple, Joe Potts, Derek Johnstone, R. Anderton, Brian Goodwill, John Brodie, Bob Dodds, Bobby Short, Front Row from left to right Michael Southern, Michael Third, Les Collingwood, Gordon Roll, Derek Prescot.

Bed. Juniors 1964:65.jpg

3 hours ago, Ovalteeny said:

Here' another photo with John Brodie. It's Bedlington Juniors FC from circa 1964 or 1965.  The names are as follows Back Row from left to right Charles "Chuck" Allan, Bob Storey, Barry Temple, Joe Potts, Derek Johnstone, R. Anderton, Brian Goodwill, John Brodie, Bob Dodds, Bobby Short, Front Row from left to right Michael Southern, Michael Third, Les Collingwood, Gordon Roll, Derek Prescot.

So where was @Ovalteeny when this one was taken?

Good question, I think this was a year ahead of me, but here is a similar photo (same strip) from the following year. In fact I think the photo with John Brodie et al is actually from 1963 ish and the one below with moi is probably1964.

Bedlington Juniors 1964.png

• Like 1

Ovalteeny, I believe you are correct.  The photo with John Brody was taken in my first year with Bedlington Juniors which was about 1963.  I started my apprenticeship in October 1962.  After that the following season Tex Dixon, Les Nicholson and Harry Wilson  played.  But it was a long time ago, great photos which brings back the memories.

• Like 1

The names of the team above are as follows :-

Back Row (L to R) Charles Allen, Terry "Tex" Dixon, Michael Southern, Danny Dodds, Derek Johnstone, Austin Anderton, Paul Cotsworth, Bob Storey

Front Row Jack Kidd, Leslie Nicholson, Harry Wilson, Gordon Roll, Geordie Elliott.

If this is 1963, then I would be 15 (as would Leslie Nicholson & Geordie Elliott). All the others were a year or so older. This leads me to suspect that this could be for the 1964/65 season, but then I could be completely wrong, I'd be 16 and only played the occasional game.

• Like 1

Going back to the subject of John Brodie. In 1973 I took a job for Schweppes Ltd. in the North Staffordshire area and moved into my first ever property in Longton. I would sometimes go and watch Stoke City play, but I really enjoyed going to Vale Park on Monday evenings which was where and when Port Vale FC played most of their home games. John Brodie was a regular in that Post Vale team and I would  from time to time, bump into him in some of the local clubs, when we would have a chat and a catch up. Sadly, like with so many others, we lost touch and moved on.

John Brodie has a page on Wikipedia and the chart below shows his professional football career.  

Screen Shot 2018-06-16 at 22.09.51.png

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ovalteeny said:

Ovalteeny - the lad you have named as R. Anderton is that not Austin Anderton? Lived Waverley Avenue, a couple of doors from the cut through to Victoria Terrace.

Yep, you're right Eggie. In fact I got it right (Austin) in the 2nd. photo (the one with me in). I basically just copied & pasted from Bedlington Remembered (Facebook) without double checking (too much red wine last night - again).

On 15/06/2018 at 21:40, Rigger said:

Eggy Thanks for the info.  I see John Brodie was mentioned. He was a good player and played Sunday League with Cambois Rowing Club when I played with  them.

From a posting you know well Rigger - now with all the names :-

Cambois Rowing Club football team 1966 named.jpg

Edited by Eggy1948
  • Like 1

On 15/06/2018 at 19:31, Rigger said:

Family trees can be full of surprises.  While gathering information for mine I came across a relative who played for Manchester United from 1946 to 1951.   William McGlen was born in Bedlington in 1921. His parents were Daniel, a coal hewer, and Mary Ann McGlen who lived at Doctor Terrace and Beatty Road Bedlington.   William who served an apprenticeship as a bricklayer served in the RAF during the Second World War.  William, a wing half, played for Blyth Spartans and was set to join Notts County when he was signed up to play for Manchester United by Matt Busby in 1946.   In the post war years he played fairly regularly at left back or left half (old terminology).  In total he played 110 league games and 12 FA Cup games for Manchester United.   William scored two goals during his spell with the Reds.   After Manchester United he played with Lincoln City and Oldham Athletic.  In 1957, he became trainer for Lincoln City where he stayed for ten years before becoming manager of Skegness Town 1967/8.  William died in 1999 in Lincolnshire. 

William McGlen 1.png

Rigger - I don't know if I can find anything else out ab out the McGlen family but I knew the name and especially Beatty Road. My granny lived there and had a very close friend, Mrs McGlen.

This is my Granny, Mary Henderson, with her sister in lae, Elsie Humble (Elenbel Ave), mys sister Anne and Mrs McGlen. The photo will be from c1957 :-   

Anne Elsie Grandma and friend with text.jpg

Agree what a great photo, complete with names.  I would be very interested to know the first name of the Mrs McGlen.  I have quite a bit of detail about the McGlen family.  When I was an apprentice at Doctor Pit I was working with Jack Crammer and a William McGlen, another apprentice. When I got home and told my mum who I was working with she told me William McGlen was related and my research since confirms this.

3 hours ago, Ovalteeny said:

Brilliant photo Eggy. Love the old Television (was it Redifusion) and your sister, Anne's doll!!!

Can't remember them having Rediffusion - don't recall a dial/switch on the window sill. Knowing my aunt and her unmarried son, Owen Humble,  = Deputy Managers papers at the 'A' pit and I think he worked in the Drawing Office - I suspect it was all bought and paid for.

Wor Anne doesn't have that 'coloured' doll any more .

2 hours ago, Rigger said:

Agree what a great photo, complete with names.  I would be very interested to know the first name of the Mrs McGlen.  I have quite a bit of detail about the McGlen family.  When I was an apprentice at Doctor Pit I was working with Jack Crammer and a William McGlen, another apprentice. When I got home and told my mum who I was working with she told me William McGlen was related and my research since confirms this.

I will see what I can find out about Mrs McGlen Rigger. The youngest of my grannies 9 children is still alive and might be able to remember some details. Don't hold your breath as it will be Facebook question to my youngest cousin, still working, who might remember to question her dad, my grannies youngest, about Mrs McGlen.  

Mary & Daniel McGlen had 3 sons , Jimmy, Micky & Billy & a daughter Bella.

Jimmy had a daughter Dorothy & a son Jim ( me )

Micky had 2 sons Billy & Michael,  Billy went to the Doctor Pit on leaving school

Billy had 2 daughters Dorothy & Janet.

Bella had 2 sons Jimmy & Ted.

Billy did go on to play for Manchester United. 

Mrs Humble lived next door to them in Beatty Road

• Thanks 1

Jim, thanks for the information it confirms everything in my family tree.  Mrs McGlen in the photo would have the maiden name Hobson. Eggy, Is the it ok if I use the photo in my records?  Also for my records can you tell me Bellas married name.

Wow! Wat a blast from thi past for me!

Hi Eggy,and all on the forum!First off,Billy McGlenn didn't play in my Rock  group,in the 1960's.

I have known Billy practically aal me life,and when we left school in 1959,[Billy was at the Catholic school],we both started our pit training together at Seaton Burn colliery training centre.

Billy was a small blonde lad,very sociable and a born comedian,served his time at the pit,then left later on to join the Merchant Navy.

A canna figure oot where he fits inti thi family tree above,cos he certainly didn't play footie that aa knew of!

Last time a saw Billy was at the the Domino at thi Station,in the late 1960's/very early '70s..[not sure exactly],and he had just come yem on leave from the sea,wi a bulging pocket of fivers!![ye canna spend ya pay at sea!]

Me aad Marra Davy Holland..[Holly] was starring in the cabaret wi he's chart group caaled "Toby Twirl"...that's hoo a can mind aal this.[Billy got he's eye on me in the darkness and came owa for a natter!]

Noo,the blast from thi past continues on,seeing other aad marra's in thi pics,hoo aav nivvor seen for donky's yeors...Jackie

Mason lived aside me in Hollymoont Square,and we played tigitha aal wor young life!

Ray Chilton and he's Wife are friends of wors,a have seen often,Geordie Elliot was an old friend in the 1960's,nivvor seen for donkey's,a smashing lad...footbaal crazy...used ti be drunk and sobbing like a kid,him and Jimmy Burke,his close mate,when thi Toon lost on a Saturday Aftanoon...in the 1960's!!

Geordie's Dad was a Deputy at thi Aad pit,in thi 1960's ,when a went there from Choppington High Pit,and he was the most likeable bloke ye cud ivvor wish ti meet!!

Bob McGregor was me neighbour and good friend for the 30-odd years a lived at West Terrace in Stakeford,till a moved away 18 years ago.

Nivvor seen Bob Short for donkey's eetha!

Great for me ti see these pics,but sorry a canna help in researching the family tree,Rigger!!

Hope ye find more success as ye gaa alang ,Marra!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now