The javascript heavy site that stops you copying!

threegee

Those sites that TRY to prevent you highlighting and right clicking to abstract text can be very annoying.  That's particularly so if all you are trying to copy is your own text.  Unfortunately the message hasn't got through to webmasters that nothing whatsoever can prevent web pages being copied or saved, because that's totally antithetical to the nature of the web.  All this kind of nonsense does is inconvenience and annoy honest people who visit your site.

One particular shopping site has been bugging me for years, so a while back I added a link to the browser settings page to turn off javascript whilst I did the copy.  The problem with this is that their javascript heavy site then becomes almost unusable.  This irked me so much that I just looked at alternatives that don't involve tediously looking through the page source code for my own text.  Well... actually... it turns out ultra-simple to bypass the javascript which prevents highlighting and then copy.  I'm using Chrome but the same must be true of practically all browsers: simply CTRL+P for print page, and select the text you want to copy from the print preview.  Simples, and ya boo to you a?????????.com!  :)

• Like 2

Mem'ries light the corners of my mind
Misty water-colored mem'ries of the way we were

1980 - Ctrl + P from the the 7522 (I think) terminal  to the ICL ML193 printer with an RS232 interface cable.:). Wonder if there still available? I could get one hooked up to Moe's thought train and the explanations would just flow out with a Ctrl + P. :dribble: 

2 hours ago, Eggy1948 said:

Mem'ries light the corners of my mind
Misty water-colored mem'ries of the way we were

1980 - Ctrl + P from the the 7522 (I think) terminal  to the ICL ML193 printer with an RS232 interface cable.:). Wonder if there still available? I could get one hooked up to Moe's thought train and the explanations would just flow out with a Ctrl + P. :dribble: 

Spit that worm oot hinny, ya must be sick o chowwin on it 

1 hour ago, pilgrim said:

install a snip tool - even Microsoft have one  - and its very handy for other things ..

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots

Yes, snipping screenshots is handy, but you end up with an image that needs OCR to convert it back to selectable text. 

Edited by webtrekker

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now