Hide Adverts
rosco

Bedlington........Dying On Its A..e

Didn't/Hadn't realised how scruffy and run down Bedlington is till yesterday,we all know about council cutbacks etc and the long winded market place development but don't people take any pride with the appearance of house and gardens anymore

I walked down to the post office at the spar and the state of front gardens in a lot of houses is embarrassing,now i appreciate some people ie elderly disabled may or cant keep gardens tidy but as for the rest..........come on have some pride in your house do you really want to live in a house that looks a 5h1thole from the outside 

Later on i walked up to Boots in Front street and first impressions on a nice sunny day looking up from Northumberland Arms towards Red Lion is good........but on closer inspection Oh dear what a mess. Excluding the the Tesco/Great Wall Of Bedlington Site shops are closing at an alarming rate....The Wool Shop,Durham Beds and Theresa's Ices.on a plus note it was good to see workman inside the old Lloyd's Pharmacy shop but i will reserve judgement until i see what opens no doubt another hair/nail/takeaway or cafe

The Development of the Lairds House was supposed to have stated by now or have owners decided its a dead loss and what on earth is going on in the Barrington Arms it looks like a cheap conversion to flats done really badly

I presume the new owners of Market Tavern are running on a shoestring judging by hand written signs in windows and the shockingly bad plastic hanging baskets as well as only opening on limited days to sell cheap beer.Which brings me nicely to another problem in the Front Street.....Breakers Bar and its clientele who were congregated outside in full view and what a smart bunch they were🤣Bedlingtons finest.On a side note has there been a increase in single male/unemployed/drink/drug related people moving to our town recently or do all the lowlife head to Breakers Bar during the day

Do we have no litter bins in Bedlington or are people just to lazy to walk over to them and would rather chuck it on the ground and who will no doubt vandalise the flower planters on a Friday night.Of course as well as no bins🤭we have no toilets.....every town centre has at least one working public loo except Bedlington.

I used to be proud to live in a nice town but when people now ask where i live i'm almost embarrassed to tell them Bedlington

Edited by rosco
spelling
  • Like 3

Well said that man,

Mind a suppose we should be grateful for what  wa have, like  the giant cardboard cut outs,  one of Scooby-Doo  (with a big boil on one of his lugs) and  one of Thomas the Tank engine, down Atley Park, am not sure what the one on the entrance from Choppington is , but it looks like the grandfatha clock from the Addams Family hoouse.

Rumour has it wa gana get a giant model of King Kong on top of the old council offices   ta put the wind up all them gannin ta sign on 🤯 

Edited by moe19

What a pity to find such comments as this. I no longer live there, but upon returning (as I regularly do) it's always a joy to drive down the wide, tree-lined Front Street - it looks lovely at this time of year - and admire the flowers and planters that have so lovingly been put together by volunteers who take pride in the town. I guess I'm not one to focus on the negatives. 

I'm a little perplexed by Rosco's comments about the Market Tavern; it's a private business, they don't have money to burn, at least they've made an effort. As for them 'only opening on limited days', in the same sentence you complain about Breaker's Bar, which is open every day! What do you want? Bars open, or bars closed? 

Shops are closing at an alarming rate: why? Because people don't use them. I don't know where you shop, but maybe directing your expenditure closer to home might see these shops NOT close, although like you I have little use for wool or ice cream.

Moe: the sculptures you mention celebrate the history and culture of the town, which should surely be more prominent and encouraged. Bedlington was a world centre in the development of the railways, yet there's barely a mention. At least those who commissioned the works mentioned did so with this in mind. The village nearest tome here has a long-standing history of military service; you can't move an inch without being reminded of it. It's good that people are proud of the history of their town.

Perhaps look for the positives next time; yes, parts of the town are run down and tired (and I'm amazed it's taken this long to notice) but others are very attractive, unique and welcoming. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, mercuryg said:

. I no longer live there, . 

Ya hit the nail rite on the heed hinny

One of our so called historic buildings 🤣

I love the curtains,   they may well be an original  pair of Queen Victoria's old bloomers,  with significant historical value 😂

It will take more than a few pots of pansies to tidy this place up

On 18/05/2018 at 15:03, moe19 said:

Ya hit the nail rite on the heed hinny

Yeah, I moved from a place where there is apparently nothing, to a place where there is actually nothing. You think Bedlington had potholes? You reckon the town has no facilities? Try here! The point I was making is that, to coin a phrase, you don't miss your water until your well runs dry. Bedlington is a pretty, historic and friendly town. Cherish it.

22 minutes ago, mercuryg said:

Bedlington is a pretty, historic and friendly town. Cherish it.

Historic is nay good if ya want ta buy a pair of shoes or a shart an pants hinny , historic is nay good if ya want ta use a branch of ya  bank Historic is nay good if ya oot on the street and want ta gan t the Lavvy. 

Its a doorty owld pit village hinny not Stonehenge, apart from St Cuthberts church it has really nowt else worth looking at. Its plagued with drink and drugs problems  and vandalism an burglaries  just the same as most places these days, what's left of the streets shops are a collection hairdressers, barbers,  takeaways and tattoo parlours most of em hidden behind rusty owld shutters that rarely go up . What you call the  market place is a mess of boarded up graffiti covered empty shops, with the so called historic buildings  on the street sporting plastic  widows and front doors from B&Q , satellite dishes blooming like mushrooms on the walls and air con units hinging oboot the place, All the empty lots and areas especially around the Court House  are overgrown  and full of rubbish.

A rekon that optician ont front street must be selling  some folk glasses wi rose tinted lenses  😎  

• Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Hide Adverts