Jump to content
rosco

Bedlington........Dying On Its A..e

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, moe19 said:

Hinny if folk divint winge noowt will change, and am not sittinn wi me hand owa me gobb ta keep the likes of yee happy.

  

My view on whinging on social media sites and then not adding anything constructive to try and rectify the cause for whinging is – why bother.

How does whinging on Facebook  or this site resolve anything?

 

 

4 hours ago, moe19 said:

Wee are these folk enjoying these so called features Eggy,  it must be ye and ya marrows cos everyone a naa said they are a waste of dosh, they look like sumic the bairns have cut out at school  and should be clagged on the classroom walls, an all tell ya sumic else if ya asked anyone what tha were supposed ta be they would not have a clue.

My view on whinging on social media sites and then not adding anything constructive to try and rectify the cause for whinging is – why bother.

How does whinging on Facebook  or this site resolve anything?

If ya like em Eggy hinny teck them owa ta Seghill and clag them up owa there an see what the lads in the comrades think aboot them a can tell ya exacly where they will say ta stick them 😲

Trying to understand your sentence – do you mean that if you, and your marras don’t like something then none of mine should?

Do you mean that if someone comes up with an idea that doesn’t match your ideas then that person is wrong for trying to do something?

Do you believe that everyone in Bedlington hasn’t a clue what the gateway features represent?

These two comments, from Bedlingtonnresidents that I do not know :-    

Liz Peart I have seen them all they are lovely the coat of arms needs a change of colour x I would have missed it had I not been looking for it x


Simon Williams - The gift that keeps giving 🙂

  

If ya like em Eggy hinny teck them owa ta Seghill and clag them up owa there an see what the lads in the comrades think aboot them a can tell ya exacly where they will say ta stick them 😲

What have those four features got to do with Seghill?                                                                                                                                                                   

Your anotha one who doest not live in Bedlington tellin wa wots good for us and wot wa should be doing

Ya want ta try sorting Segghole oot before ya start on Bedlington                                                                                                                                       

When have I told anyone what’s good for them and what they should be doing? Checked back and the only comment you might have thought I was telling people what to do might be :- ……………………..Anyone that didn't  then surely they should just take a different route to get to where you would like to stop…… and that was in reply to Webtrekker’s comment :-  Yes, Bedlington's a lovely place......... to pass through! 🚗 <<<<<<<<<<<<--------------. So I was not telling anyone what to do just offering a suggestion. Is that against the your rules?

Ya want ta try sorting Segghole oot before ya start on Bedlington

When have you seen anything from me whinging about Seghill or trying to sort out Bedlington?

I'm singing and dancing in the rain Doobe Do Do, Doobe Doobe Do Do, what a glorious feeling I'm happy again, just singing and dancing, in the rain, Doobe Do Do, Doobe Doobe Do Do

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that brought some interesting replies..........Hopefully......and I'll believe it when its fully finished the new development will help improve the town centre, which has played second fiddle to Ashington for to long

As a side note to my original post.......how long does it take to repair a broken window......Wharton Arms please note its been broken for weeks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A while ago I watched a British program on television, it started when most villages had a butcher and a baker! then when the steam engine was invented and goods moved around the country and the world fast and efficiently, every town and village had all sorts of shops.

Then along came the supermarkets and shopping malls (I worked at building Woolco’s) lots of parking and big selection of cheap goods, now the next phase is on line shopping, in our malls the major tenants are closing, not just moving, the smaller box stores having to specialize or close, gone are the days of front street shopping except for specialty or personal services.

We have only a few basic shops here, its 180km (2 hours in good weather) to the next town with major outlets.

Its a changing world.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely true Vic Patterson, the ever changing world or evolvement has always been with us. Whilst we may all have opinions on whether progress is good or otherwise there is no effective way to prevent the world from evolving. I've seen almost 70 years of change, most of which I have embraced and benefited from.

Bedlington has never been immune to change and my hope and wish is for the pro-active, positive people to influence and mould the future for the greater good of all concerned. There are several forward thinking men & women who fall into this category. Everyone else, have a whinge, have a moan by all means, but for goodness sake stop living in the past and listen to what Bob Dylan was singing about in 1964. The sentiment is still the same some 54 years on, always was and always will be. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, moe19 said:

But am pleased ya agree wi me that them new shops are never gan a meck anyone any money and are doomed afore they open   .

I think we may be talking at cross purposes Moe. I thought you were talking only about gentlemen's outfitters, as you mentioned shoes, shirts and trousers. I don't believe the larger, brand named chain stores would have any success in that field in Bedlington. Other shops - maybe. The Keel Row did wonders for Blyth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/05/2018 at 14:19, moe19 said:

am not sure what the one on the entrance from Choppington is , but it looks like the grandfatha clock from the Addams Family hoouse.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Moe but wasn't it you who said that "apart from St Cuthberts church it (Bedlington) has really nowt else worth looking at"? Surely you recognize the cross of St Cuthbert?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Vic Patterson said:

Its a changing world.

It certainly is, Vic! The latest here is clothing shops ( the major chain stores) where you 'try on' clothing and then order it on-line, in the store, to be delivered to your home! The banks have gone one better. They don't handle cash at all unless you order it three days in advance! It works well and saves so much time. Goods and services are payed for by direct transfer from customer to bank. Of course, those who like to cheat the taxman don't like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Ovalteeny said:

Absolutely true Vic Patterson, the ever changing world or evolvement has always been with us. Whilst we may all have opinions on whether progress is good or otherwise there is no effective way to prevent the world from evolving. I've seen almost 70 years of change, most of which I have embraced and benefited from.

Bedlington has never been immune to change and my hope and wish is for the pro-active, positive people to influence and mould the future for the greater good of all concerned. There are several forward thinking men & women who fall into this category. Everyone else, have a whinge, have a moan by all means, but for goodness sake stop living in the past and listen to what Bob Dylan was singing about in 1964. The sentiment is still the same some 54 years on, always was and always will be. 

I just knew there would be words of wisdom from a man who likes books and red wine!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Canny lass said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, Moe but wasn't it you who said that "apart from St Cuthberts church it (Bedlington) has really nowt else worth looking at"? Surely you recognize the cross of St Cuthbert?

St Cuthbats Cross, a bet he would be cross if he was here ta see that monstrosity,  Hinny that looks more like the  salt  an vinega bottles from Moby Dicks fish shop 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Eggy1948 said:
16 hours ago, moe19 said:

Hinny if folk divint winge noowt will change, and am not sittinn wi me hand owa me gobb ta keep the likes of yee happy.

  

My view on whinging on social media sites and then not adding anything constructive to try and rectify the cause for whinging is – why bother.

How does whinging on Facebook  or this site resolve anything?

 

 

15 hours ago, moe19 said:

Wee are these folk enjoying these so called features Eggy,  it must be ye and ya marrows cos everyone a naa said they are a waste of dosh, they look like sumic the bairns have cut out at school  and should be clagged on the classroom walls, an all tell ya sumic else if ya asked anyone what tha were supposed ta be they would not have a clue.

My view on whinging on social media sites and then not adding anything constructive to try and rectify the cause for whinging is – why bother.

How does whinging on Facebook  or this site resolve anything?

If ya like em Eggy hinny teck them owa ta Seghill and clag them up owa there an see what the lads in the comrades think aboot them a can tell ya exacly where they will say ta stick them 😲

Trying to understand your sentence – do you mean that if you, and your marras don’t like something then none of mine should?

Do you mean that if someone comes up with an idea that doesn’t match your ideas then that person is wrong for trying to do something?

Do you believe that everyone in Bedlington hasn’t a clue what the gateway features represent?

These two comments, from Bedlingtonnresidents that I do not know :-    

Liz Peart I have seen them all they are lovely the coat of arms needs a change of colour x I would have missed it had I not been looking for it x


Simon Williams - The gift that keeps giving 🙂

  

If ya like em Eggy hinny teck them owa ta Seghill and clag them up owa there an see what the lads in the comrades think aboot them a can tell ya exacly where they will say ta stick them 😲

What have those four features got to do with Seghill?                                                                                                                                                                   

Your anotha one who doest not live in Bedlington tellin wa wots good for us and wot wa should be doing

Ya want ta try sorting Segghole oot before ya start on Bedlington                                                                                                                                       

When have I told anyone what’s good for them and what they should be doing? Checked back and the only comment you might have thought I was telling people what to do might be :- ……………………..Anyone that didn't  then surely they should just take a different route to get to where you would like to stop…… and that was in reply to Webtrekker’s comment :-  Yes, Bedlington's a lovely place......... to pass through! 🚗 <<<<<<<<<<<<--------------. So I was not telling anyone what to do just offering a suggestion. Is that against the your rules?

Ya want ta try sorting Segghole oot before ya start on Bedlington

When have you seen anything from me whinging about Seghill or trying to sort out Bedlington?

 

Eggy Hinny, ya want ta read what ya postin before ya hit the reply button, all ya doing is repeatin ya sell and talkin fluent wally.

Ya to easy ta wind up man

.

 

123.jpg

Edited by moe19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Aye ya a canny lad hinny, but as a say ya livin in La La land!

Nice to see others getting in on this one. Thanks for your kind words, Moe, but no, I'm not living in La La Land; i'm firmly in the 21st century. 

As for the heritage aspect, have you ever visited Woodhorn Colliery Museum? It's very, very popular, and highlights the past industrial heritage of the area. It's not a lost cause. Bedlington has a very important industrial heritage that is barely touched upon; why not highlight it? I like the gateway features, they are nicely done. My point is make the heritage of the town visible - push the importance of the iron works and the engine works, make it worth people visiting, and then you have people to use the shops, cafes and other retail outlets. Or,  keep moaning on about how the town is downtrodden and dead. That will do the trick. (for an example, the nearest small town to me has a rich aviation history; you can't move an inch without seeing street signs with an aeroplane on, notice boards explaining the importance of this site and the other, and so on; it's not expensive, and it brings people in).

Business: I run one, too, and I suspect many on here have plenty of knowledge about running a business. The thing is, these days, cash is becoming less and less popular as a payment choice. Pretty soon - and within my lifetime I reckon - it will be largely obsolete. What's the point in carrying heavy coins and easy to lose notes when you can use one, single plastic card to do the same job? What's the point, indeed, in continuing with the expensive routine of actually making coins and printing money? It makes no sense. I don't think I'm alone in that I rarely use cash; I can even buy a pint with a swipe of a card. It's not the future, it's the present.

Vic hit the nail on the head with the stuff about how towns have changed; they have, and they're not going to change back. I note Roscoe's comment, too, about the new development, and how Bedlington 'plays second fiddle' to Ashington; that's irrelevant, it's not what it's about. Ashington has was it has, it's not a competition. 

So, back to Moe; once again, if you're so bothered, why not do something about it? Others have dedicated their time not to moaning on here, but to standing for local council and playing an active part. You have endless business experience, life experience, and are local, you're ideal! Put yourself forward. (I'm now going to write on a piece of paper, and photograph it with a date stamp, precisely what Moe's reaction to that suggestion will be...)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"and litter picks what a laugh ..we pay for them sarvices man..."

Ah, the old British approach; we pay for it, let others do it! If I see litter on the street, I pick it up and put it in a bin. Do you, or do you walk past? I don't think 'no, I'm not picking that up, I don't get paid for it'. Instil that attitude in people - and it is being so in the younger generations - and you end up with exactly what you are complaining about: a town that is a mess, that is rife with vandalism, and where there are spaces full of junk. Because people are happy to leave it that way for someone else, who is paid for it, to come along and do it. Vicious circle, isn't it? I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it's in Japan where, rather than a caretaker tidying up the school after the day, the kids have to do it. Hence, they are taught from an early age that it's their mess to deal with, and that if they don't clear it up, nobody else is going to do it. Food for thought. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mercuryg said:

in Japan where, rather than a caretaker tidying up the school after the day, the kids have to do it. Hence, they are taught from an early age that it's their mess to deal with, and that if they don't clear it up, nobody else is going to do it.

You don't need to go as far as Japan, Merc. That system was in force in both Netherton Infants- and Nedderton Junior schools during the fifties!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Canny lass said:

You don't need to go as far as Japan, Merc. That system was in force in both Netherton Infants- and Nedderton Junior schools during the fifties!

Really? There you go then! It could do with being in place now, as it seems a lot of youngsters have no concept of taking responsibility. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, moe19 said:

Eggy Hinny, ya want ta read what ya postin before ya hit the reply button, all ya doing is repeatin ya sell and talkin fluent wally.

Ya to easy ta wind up man

.

 

 

Wound up I am not:wave:

Repeating myself =  I extracted one phrase I had used and the rest were yours and one from Webtrekker.

I simply read all of your points, couldn't understand them, and rather than make wild assumptions asked for an explanation from the source ☺️. But rather than explain yourself  you trying and make out that it is me that talks 'fluent wally' and your objective is not to say anything constructive but just an attempt to wind people up:D.

I remain unwound and wait :ball: for you to explain the points I put to you but if that is too much to ask then end of discussion :beer:  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eggy1948 said:

 

Repeating myself =  I extracted one phrase I had used and the rest were yours and one from Webtrekker.

 

Hoy ya hamma owa here hinny .⛏️ it soounds like ya talkin Japanese Geordie, a will have ta send ya reply ta  Bletchley Park hinny, the lasses might be able ta meck summit oot of  it, but a wudint hold ya breath

Ha ya sell a nice relaxinn cupa  and stop chawinn them woorms, they stick in ya crop    🐦

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mercuryg said:

"and litter picks what a laugh ..we pay for them sarvices man..."

Ah, the old British approach; we pay for it, let others do it! If I see litter on the street, I pick it up and put it in a bin. Do you, or do you walk past? I don't think 'no, I'm not picking that up, I don't get paid for it'. Instil that attitude in people - and it is being so in the younger generations - and you end up with exactly what you are complaining about: a town that is a mess, that is rife with vandalism, and where there are spaces full of junk. Because people are happy to leave it that way for someone else, who is paid for it, to come along and do it. Vicious circle, isn't it? I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it's in Japan where, rather than a caretaker tidying up the school after the day, the kids have to do it. Hence, they are taught from an early age that it's their mess to deal with, and that if they don't clear it up, nobody else is going to do it. Food for thought. 

Ya wor doing al rite hinny  then ya away wi the fairies again talkin oboot caretakers in Japan.

A would like ta see ya put one o them broocken pushchairs in ya pocket, and as for where ta put the owld tyres, they would fetch tears ta ya eyes.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mercuryg said:

As for the heritage aspect, have you ever visited Woodhorn Colliery Museum? It's very, very popular, and highlights the past industrial heritage of the area. It's not a lost cause. Bedlington has a very important industrial heritage that is barely touched upon; why not highlight it? I like the gateway features, they are nicely done. My point is make the heritage of the town visible - push the importance of the iron works and the engine works, make it worth people visiting, and then you have people to use the shops, cafes and other retail outlets. .

 

 

 

Its only important to ye and a handful o folk who like ta talk aboot the past, and it has absolutely  nowt to do with what wa talkin aboot in this thread, most of us wor glad ta see the back of pit heaps, middens, tin baths, and wiping  ya backside ont News of the World.

The good owld days of Polio ringworm Scabies and TB ? a think not, a naa what ya can dee wi em hinny. as ya said wi the banks and money its time ta look forward not back       

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've cleaned up a few personal comments in this topic. Please keep the discussion on topic. Differing opinions are expected but let's please try and keep things civil. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, moe19 said:

Ya wor doing al rite hinny  then ya away wi the fairies again talkin oboot caretakers in Japan.

You miss the point; it's about teaching people at a young age about responsibility. I have no idea how old you are, and have far too much respect to ask, but I'll bet you wouldn't have thought about littering or fly-tipping. You simply wouldn't have done it. Nor would I. So ask yourself - why are there people who do it? What's the difference between them, and you? It's a lack of respect for their own environment. As Canny Lass says, this was instilled in kids at school in the 50's.

A would like ta see ya put one o them broocken pushchairs in ya pocket, and as for where ta put the owld tyres, they would fetch tears ta ya eyes.   

I don't expect you to pick up broken push chairs, or tyres. I asked if you would pick up litter you saw dropped on the ground, or if you would walk past. But on that note, if you're seeing broken pushchairs and stuff when you're out and about, who are you telling about it? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, moe19 said:

Its only important to ye and a handful o folk who like ta talk aboot the past, and it has absolutely  nowt to do with what wa talkin aboot in this thread, most of us wor glad ta see the back of pit heaps, middens, tin baths, and wiping  ya backside ont News of the World.

The good owld days of Polio ringworm Scabies and TB ? a think not, a naa what ya can dee wi em hinny. as ya said wi the banks and money its time ta look forward not back       

Once again, you miss my point entirely. Heritage is important to a lot of people, as is history. Once more, have you been to Woodhorn, the pit museum? It's seen more than a million people visit since it opened. That's not bad for something that people are not interested in. Now you, and to a point myself, may be glad to see the back of the horrible conditions and such that you mention, but others who have no experience of it may well - well, are, as 1million people are testament to - be interested. Why is illustrating and promoting the importance of Bedlington in the railways so alien to you? What harm is it going to do? what is the problem with letting people know about the once-world leading ironworks that existed there at one time? What harm will it do anyone? It hasn't done Woodhorn any! Ehat about teh flight of the monks and St Cuthbert, and his alleged resting at the Church? Other places make something of history. The upshot is - which you've also missed - if you create something that brings people in, it creates the footfall needed to encourage other retailers. It is time to look forward, and resurrecting the heritage of the town is a great place to start. I'm disappointed you can't see it, as I find it very interesting indeed.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, moe19 said:

Hoy ya hamma owa here hinny .⛏️ it soounds like ya talkin Japanese Geordie, a will have ta send ya reply ta  Bletchley Park hinny, the lasses might be able ta meck summit oot of  it, but a wudint hold ya breath

Ha ya sell a nice relaxinn cupa  and stop chawinn them woorms, they stick in ya crop    🐦

Champion - then once Bletchley Park sorts it out for you and you have understood it, you might be able to reply and explain your comments. :iiam:

I'm singing and dancing in the rain Doobe Do Do, Doobe Doobe Do Do, what a glorious feeling I'm happy again, just singing and dancing, in the rain, Doobe Do Do, Doobe Doobe Do Do

Edited by Eggy1948
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mercuryg said:

Once again, you miss my point entirely. Heritage is important to a lot of people, as is history. Once more, have you been to Woodhorn, the pit museum? It's seen more than a million people visit since it opened. That's not bad for something that people are not interested in. Now you, and to a point myself, may be glad to see the back of the horrible conditions and such that you mention, but others who have no experience of it may well - well, are, as 1million people are testament to - be interested. Why is illustrating and promoting the importance of Bedlington in the railways so alien to you? What harm is it going to do? what is the problem with letting people know about the once-world leading ironworks that existed there at one time? What harm will it do anyone? It hasn't done Woodhorn any! Ehat about teh flight of the monks and St Cuthbert, and his alleged resting at the Church? Other places make something of history. The upshot is - which you've also missed - if you create something that brings people in, it creates the footfall needed to encourage other retailers. It is time to look forward, and resurrecting the heritage of the town is a great place to start. I'm disappointed you can't see it, as I find it very interesting indeed.

Whats museums and St Cuthbert  got ta do wa buying a pair o socks in Bedlington hinny , ya away on a flight o fancy again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Eggy1948 said:

Champion - then once Bletchley Park sorts it out for you and you have understood it, you might be able to reply and explain your comments. :iiam:

I'm singing and dancing in the rain Doobe Do Do, Doobe Doobe Do Do, what a glorious feeling I'm happy again, just singing and dancing, in the rain, Doobe Do Do, Doobe Doobe Do Do

Bletchley Park reports Colossus has blann a fuse trying ta work it oot and are passing it ont  the Enigma Research Section

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.



  • Latest News

    • A big-hearted donation by one of South East Northumberland’s largest employers has enabled local football club, Bedlington Terriers FC, to provide its players, staff and visitors with rapid emergency response should it ever be needed.
      Lynemouth Power Station has gifted the community club with a life-saving heart defibrillator which will now be installed at the Welfare Park ground. If deployed within three to five minutes of a cardiac arrest, such equipment could potentially increase the chances of someone surviving a heart attack from six to 74 per cent. Each minute without CPR and defibrillation also reduces a patient’s survival rate by between seven and ten per cent.*
      The Northern League Division Two club is home to seven teams and over 80 footballers from senior players to an under 6 ‘tots’ team. Along with daily training sessions and match attendances, the club sees hundreds of people visiting the ground on a weekly basis therefore the defibrillator has been very well received by all.
      Rowan Edwards, Commercial Director of Bedlington Terriers FC, commented, “This is a vital piece of first aid equipment and we are extremely grateful to Lynemouth Power Station for their kind donation. Given the number of on-site staff, players training each week and visitors to the ground, it is essential that our trained staff have instant access to life-saving equipment in case of emergencies. It will mean a lot to everyone here at the club as well as the local community, so we’re very grateful for the power station’s support.”
      Janet Mole from Lynemouth Power Station added, “Having these devices installed in popular public places and venues is so important, so rather than just donate to the fundraising effort, we decided to purchase the equipment outright on behalf of the club. As a local employer, it is important that community initiatives like this are well supported so we’re delighted to hand over the defibrillator to all at the club.”

  • Latest Topics

×
×
  • Create New...