Bedlington........Dying On Its A..e

Fair enough, you might get the odd traveller or tourist taking an interest in Bedlington's historical past, or the quaint, tree-lined Front Street, but what about the people who live here? Where are all the leisure facilities for the entertainment of Bedlington's young kids? Where's all the affordable housing for Bedlington's up and coming homeowners? Where's the infrastructure (doctors, schools, shops) to support all the new arrivals on the rapidly developing, overpriced, posh new housing estates?  

Oh! Silly me! I've just realised the answer to my own questions... 

Ashington! 

(or Cramlington, or Blyth,....... anywhere but Bedlington). 

Edited by webtrekker
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, webtrekker said:

Fair enough, you might get the odd traveller or tourist taking an interest in Bedlington's historical past, or the quaint, tree-lined Front Street, but what about the people who live here? Where are all the leisure facilities for the entertainment of Bedlington's young kids? Where's all the affordable housing for Bedlington's up and coming homeowners? Where's the infrastructure (doctors, schools, shops) to support all the new arrivals on the rapidly developing, overpriced, posh new housing estates?  

Oh! Silly me! I've just realised the answer to my own questions... 

Ashington! 

(or Cramlington, or Blyth,....... anywhere but Bedlington). 

All very good points, and another problem to deal with. I was addressing one, I have little idea where to go with this one. I'm not sure I agree, however, that the houses being built are 'overpriced' (well, I suppose all houses are in a way) as they compare rather nicely with some other areas I've lived in!

18 hours ago, mercuryg said:

I'm not sure I agree, however, that the houses being built are 'overpriced' (well, I suppose all houses are in a way) as they compare rather nicely with some other areas I've lived in!

I didn’t think house prices in Bedlington were so very different to Blyth, Ashington or Cramlington so I had a quick look at Zoopla this morning. In the past year prices have risen in Bedlington by 3.96%. That’s a good bit better than Ashington prices which have shot up by 5.53%. On the other hand, prices in Cramlington and Blyth have gone downmarginally by 0.48% and 0,63%.

That still leaves actual house prices with only marginal differences. The average prices paid during the past year for houses are:

Bedlington – £134,942

Cramlington - £140,291

Blyth - £129,558

Ashington - £115,231

Of course, they are not all new-builds. But first time house buyers, if they have any sense, usually cut their coat according to their cloth and work their way up from an anorak to a mink.

Looking only at properties on sale in Bedlington this year I can see several that are well below market value:

Queens Road - £62,000

Stirling Drive £47,500

Millbank Crescent £50,000

Stead Lane  £90,000

Roslin Park £82.500

And for those with a higher income:

The Wynding  £148,000

Octavia Close £150,000

Bonchester Close £127,000

• Like 1

On 23/05/2018 at 16:17, moe19 said:

Wee are these folk enjoying these so called features Eggy,  it must be ye and ya marrows cos everyone a naa said they are a waste of dosh, they look like sumic the bairns have cut out at school  and should be clagged on the classroom walls, an all tell ya sumic else if ya asked anyone what tha were supposed ta be they would not have a clue.

Hayley Orange Made me smile yesterday well done xx

Norma Agnew Think it’s great thank you whoever does it

Irene Holland Whoever started this tradition please keep it up it’s lovely1f642.png🙂

Ellenor Owen Lovely thought at Xmas & now our royal wedding xx
Lynne Beal Love seeing this 1f604.png😄
Jan Appleby Fantastic thank you whoever you are for doing this
Paul Dimmick mint
Eileen Tyers Great thank you whoever you are doing this xx
Vivienne Brady Brilliant x
Jean Hale It cheers people up when they see it great 1f642.png🙂xx
Paul Routledge Brilliant 1f60a.png😊 drove past it yesterday n it made me smile
Kate Maughan It looks great xx
Sharon Kirtley Love this. makes me smile thanks 
+ 1 query
Roger Neilson Puzzled as to why it was done this weekend...

I wonder if it was an organised bus trip from Seghill or just Bedlington reidents:iiam: Manage
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Eggy1948 said:

Hayley Orange Made me smile yesterday well done xx

Norma Agnew Think it’s great thank you whoever does it

Irene Holland Whoever started this tradition please keep it up it’s lovely1f642.png🙂

Ellenor Owen Lovely thought at Xmas & now our royal wedding xx
Lynne Beal Love seeing this 1f604.png😄
Jan Appleby Fantastic thank you whoever you are for doing this
Paul Dimmick mint
Eileen Tyers Great thank you whoever you are doing this xx
Vivienne Brady Brilliant x
Jean Hale It cheers people up when they see it great 1f642.png🙂xx
Paul Routledge Brilliant 1f60a.png😊 drove past it yesterday n it made me smile
Kate Maughan It looks great xx
Sharon Kirtley Love this. makes me smile thanks 
+ 1 query
Roger Neilson Puzzled as to why it was done this weekend...

I wonder if it was an organised bus trip from Seghill or just Bedlington reidents:iiam: Manage

Ehhh Hinny thy needs ta spit that woorm oot, thy jaws must be saa from chowwin ont, 

Moe 19 says  waste oh dosh and looks daft 🤣

Ehh thy  should a seen it last nite, it was like  Beirut , sirens gannin and blue lites flashing all owa the gaff, folk roowlin aroound an spewin , twas just like one of then zombie flicks. All very historical mind thee, or should that be hysterical hinny 

Thank you all for your welcome.

I love the Gallery.

I am confused by your comment Moe19. You have taken my comment about liking the gateway features out of context making it it sound as if I am ridiculing myself. Is there something I should be aware of or was that just a typo?

• Like 2

Ya first two posts jacksie and tha booth aboot me,  is thy infactuated hinny, nowt ta be ashamed of mind as a Businessman a get a lot o folk tryin ta get in ta me social circle ya naa, did a tell ya a was a Businessman Jacksie did a did a tell ya like ya naaa. now a think    Jacksie has just joined up ta talk ta Moe havint ya hinny. 

Ya seem familiar like Jacksie  hinny, what otha names de ya post unda on here.  

21 hours ago, moe19 said:

Ehh thy  should a seen it last nite, it was like  Beirut , sirens gannin and blue lites flashing all owa the gaff, folk roowlin aroound an spewin , twas just like one of then zombie flicks. All very historical mind thee, or should that be hysterical hinny 

I doubt it was anything akin to Beirut. Zombie flick, possibly, as I've heard Foxy was about, and he's one of the living dead! I'm told it was a great day, and yes, there was some bother. I won't tar all with the same brush, however, as there's always a few who spoil it for the many. And both historical - I see The Nail casting its very historical shadow into one of the pictures there - and hysterical at the same time - who can complain at that? History should be fun! Good to see people out and about in a beautiful town on a lovely day (see, it's not difficult to find the positives).

50 minutes ago, mercuryg said:

I'm told it was a great day, and yes, there was some bother. I won't tar all with the same brush,

Botha, thats an undastatment hinny, a seen some lasses mortal , a mean absulutly  mingin at hapast three, laying on wi fists, a tell thee hinny they was that rough tha made the Fat Slags oot the Viz look classy. It got warse later on as the booze took owa, fights all owa the place and a tell ys more fightin lasses than lads. An folk just teckin a leak any place squatinn or standing it made na odds. If ya shoes warnt covered in spew then the mutta got ya

Aye just the place ta teck the bairns hinny, a grand day oot      

Edited by moe19

Oh, I stand corrected! I didn't know that every single person who was out on Sunday afternoon was drunk, vomiting, urinating and fighting! I tell you what, find me a town on any Saturday night that doesn't have its share of idiots. As I said above, I won't tar everyone with the same brush. I've talked to plenty of my friends who were out on Bedlington Front Street for Bedrock (and I have quite a lot, because I'm a nice sort of guy!) and most for the duration; not one got so drunk they fell over; none took a leak in the street; none threw up in public, and none got into a fight. So that's two dozen people who were not behaving as described, perhaps they were the only ones? I do think, Moe, that you're so set on finding the negatives, you miss the fact that a hell of a lot of people had a great day out, without causing an ounce of bother. Just like you or I would do. 

• Like 2