Councillor Wallace - Market Place Update

I am delighted to learn today that NCC have released £6.5m to allow the Bedlington Market Place development to move to its next stage.

This is not the big publicity announcement of the various retailers – that will come later, but the release of this money allows the development of the site to go ahead. Building will begin later this Summer and hopefully be completed by late 2019.

Bedlington has been Northumberland’s forgotten town for far too long and this project represents an important landmark in ensuring our town thrives for generations to come.

I have been involved in this development since it was first proposed over three years ago and since our election last May the Bedlington Independent Councillors have been pressurising the administration to get the development underway

I am therefore particularly pleased at this news and confident that Bedlingtonians will give the development their full support.

The full NCC press release is copied below.

Thank you for reading.

Best wishes

Russ

Bedlington Redevelopment Progresses 

Plans to give Bedlington the vibrant town centre that it deserves are moving to the next stage following funds being released by the board of Northumberland County Council’s regeneration company for a multi-million pound redevelopment.  The scheme when completed will include a new store for a well-known food retailer, additional retail units, car parking and a number of new apartments which aim to transform the town centre economy. 

It is projected that up to 200 jobs could be created by the scheme once completed. 

In total the next stage of the works are expected to cost just under £6.5m with other funds previously having been agreed for land acquisition and other preparatory works. The regeneration company is already in the process of discharging planning conditions for the scheme and tenders from contractors for the construction are due back within weeks, subject to agreeing contracts construction work will start later this summer. 

Speaking about the news the Chairman Cllr Richard Wearmouth said, “The new council administration said from the outset that doing right by the residents of Bedlington was a key goal for us. These proposals have the potential to be truly transformational for the town, giving a boost to the high street by pulling in additional footfall and generating new jobs for local residents. I am hugely looking forward to the start of work on the ground later in the summer.”

The three independent Bedlington county councillors, Malcolm Robinson, Bill Crosby and Russ Wallace issued a joint statement saying, “This is very welcome news for Bedlington and something which collectively we have been working towards ever since our election last year. Bedlington has been Northumberland’s forgotten town for far too long and this project represents an important part making sure our town thrives for generations to come. We are delighted at this news and confident that residents will now give the development their full support.”  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Russ Wallace said:

I am delighted to learn today that NCC have released £6.5m to allow the Bedlington Market Place development to move to its next stage

... and i am delighted to hear it! I think I might just celebrate with a little glass of something.

• Like 2

It is good news for the town. I await the propaganda from the Labour contingent who told me quite frankly that this would never go ahead unless i voted Labour. I answered that nothing had ever gone ahead WHEN I voted Labour. So I voted Malcolm, oops, I mean independent. On another note, things are moving ahead nicely with the expansion of the Co-oP shop at our local garage, which will mean I only have to travel a mile for bacon.

I just hope the well known food retailer is not Aldi as we already have Lidl and Morrison's which for a town the size of Bedlington with no through traffic is enough and a good mix discount/major retailer

Having Aldi here will not work and will mean a closure of existing shop on the other hand something like Iceland might work

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rosco said:

I just hope the well known food retailer is not Aldi as we already have Lidl and Morrison's which for a town the size of Bedlington with no through traffic is enough and a good mix discount/major retailer

Having Aldi here will not work and will mean a closure of existing shop on the other hand something like Iceland might work

Aldi was looking for a site in  Bedlington on it  property  website, so I reckon  it probably is them. 

Build another supermarket and it will close one that already exits, can anyone see the logic ?

Lets hope if they ever get anyone to take those new shops that  they give the tenants  a long rent free period, because once its up we will have some more  graffiti plastered  empty shops to add to the ones we already have .   

6 hours ago, moe19 said:

Aldi was looking for a site in  Bedlington on it  property  website, so I reckon  it probably is them. 

Build another supermarket and it will close one that already exits, can anyone see the logic ?

Lets hope if they ever get anyone to take those new shops that  they give the tenants  a long rent free period, because once its up we will have some more  graffiti plastered  empty shops to add to the ones we already have .   

to be fair that website was compiled before Lidl came to town..........but interesting to see no mention of Bedlington on current site 

https://www.aldi.co.uk/about-aldi/property/required-towns/north-east-england-north-yorkshire-and-cumbria

If Aldi are the new food retailer the Councillors who voted for it want a kick up the backside for being so stupid 

• Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now