PETITION: Referendum on the Abolition of the House of Lords

threegee

Give the electorate a referendum on the abolition of the House of Lords

The House of Lords is a place of patronage where unelected and unaccountable individuals hold a disproportionate amount of influence and power which can be used to frustrate the elected representatives of the people.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/209433

Looking like one of the fastest growing petitions ever!

• Like 3

Great idea. This time, can we explain to people - truthfully - what they are voting for, so that the most popular search engine phrase AFTER the event is not 'what does the House of Lords do?' (as after the brexit vote it was 'what is the EU' and similar)? A good idea to secure the vote with approximately 52% of those who bother would be to tell them that abolition would mean all them foreigners suddenly go home. It's worked before. I've signed it. 

5 hours ago, mercuryg said:

Great idea. This time, can we explain to people - truthfully - what they are voting for, so that the most popular search engine phrase AFTER the event is not 'what does the House of Lords do?' (as after the brexit vote it was 'what is the EU' and similar)? A good idea to secure the vote with approximately 52% of those who bother would be to tell them that abolition would mean all them foreigners suddenly go home. It's worked before. I've signed it. 

I've struggled to understand that Merc.  I thought you were claiming that abolishing this last bastion of undemocratic vested interest "mean all them foreigners suddenly go home"?  But as you've signed the petition anyway that can't be true.

Anyway, you know all those Eastern European nurses and doctors that were suddenly going to go home if we voted for our independence?  Well.. the number now working in the NHS has surged by several thousand.  If it had fallen in any way the BBC Guardianistas would be ramming this consequence down our throats regularly. Who was telling porkies here then?  In fact is there anything at all that the EUphiles claimed that has actually occurred - generally the exact opposite has happened.

You seem bitter because you believe the referendum was won on the basis that these foreigners should all go home.  Well ...surely you need to be crowing that this hasn't happened, and that these bigots have been confounded?  Of course that's not how the vast majority saw it: the vast majority had huge concerns about the Tony Blair inspired social engineering that had been going on, and the pressure on our services. Yes, there was fear of the curse of Islam in there too, but that's a very rational and existential fear, even though you want us to dismiss it, and you irrationally label it as racism.

• Like 2

Great to see this one rapidly heading for the 100,000, but I think the establishment parties will do what they always do: mutter fine words about the need for essential reform being recognised, and then do precisely nothing.

I'm exploring other ways of lobbying at the moment, as this issue must become a manifesto issue for one party that breaks ranks.  It's disappointing that Ukip hasn't picked up on general public feeling and realised that the time for reform is long overdue.  A huge vote winner now I think.

Recent petitions I've signed:

Ensure that the U.K. leaves the EU Single Market & Customs Union.

Manufacture the new blue passport in GB not Germany or France.

Ensure the UK leaves all EU defence rules, policies and structures on 29/03/19.

The last one is pretty notable I think, as I'm told it was started by military veterans who don't want to see us dragged into a war to "project EU values", as the EUcrats like to put their expansionist ambitions.  They've dedicated their lives to our defense, and so deserve to be listened to and supported more that any politico.

• Like 1

On 20/04/2018 at 14:40, threegee said:

I've struggled to understand that Merc. 

You seem bitter 

That's probably why you struggle to understand something that is very simple. You're determined to assume I'm bitter, when I'm not. I'm past caring, as the entire thing is nothing more than a circus act now, and not a very good one. 

I'm simply bewildered that so many people voted for something important without having much idea of what they were voting for, i.e. they had no idea what the EU was, what it did (be it good or bad) and how it affected their lives (hence my comment about the frequency of Google searches FOLLOWING the event). I doubt even you, with your set beliefs and utter conviction you are right, were happy with that. Surely it's best for people to cast a vote with at least some knowledge of the purpose, rather than believing that suddenly a whole load of money was going to come from somewhere and be put into the NHS (which lots did, just as they did believe that boatloads of immigrants would be sent home). Or perhaps you're happy with an outcome inspired by ignorance, so long as it goes your way? 

I've always been averse to the House of Lords. You'd never have guessed that, though, as you have me pigeonholed elsewhere. 

By the way, I'm a bit pissed off that the dollar exchange rate has dropped beneath 70%. Can you advise how to hike it up again?

"I'm exploring other ways of lobbying at the moment".

That's good to hear. The audience of a dozen on here won't get you very far. 

"The audience of a dozen on here won't get you very far."

It's not me that wants to get very far, and you dismiss the silent majority at your peril; ask Dodgy Dave about that one!  Will keep you updated anyway, as it's novel to have common cause with you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mercuryg said:

That's probably why you struggle to understand something that is very simple. You're determined to assume I'm bitter, when I'm not. I'm past caring, as the entire thing is nothing more than a circus act now, and not a very good one. 

I'm simply bewildered that so many people voted for something important without having much idea of what they were voting for, i.e. they had no idea what the EU was, what it did (be it good or bad) and how it affected their lives (hence my comment about the frequency of Google searches FOLLOWING the event). I doubt even you, with your set beliefs and utter conviction you are right, were happy with that. Surely it's best for people to cast a vote with at least some knowledge of the purpose, rather than believing that suddenly a whole load of money was going to come from somewhere and be put into the NHS (which lots did, just as they did believe that boatloads of immigrants would be sent home). Or perhaps you're happy with an outcome inspired by ignorance, so long as it goes your way? 

I've always been averse to the House of Lords. You'd never have guessed that, though, as you have me pigeonholed elsewhere. 

By the way, I'm a bit pissed off that the dollar exchange rate has dropped beneath 70%. Can you advise how to hike it up again?

It's only "a circus act" because people who derive benefits from the EU machine are still in charge and are desperately fighting their corner.  They've had things their way for so very long that they truly believe they can ignore a referendum result.  We get garbage like "the sovereignty of parliament", and they believe people will accept this.  When I last looked the Queen was still sovereign, and she swore a Coronation Oath to uphold the will of the people over special interest.  If they are right then we need to dispense with all the state opening of parliament mullarkey and save some money.

The red bus phenomena is quite amusing.  It's a rationalisation that all the arrant nonsense the Remain campaign spouted was seen through by people who are now arrogantly considered intellectual inferiors by the so-called "educated".  You are echoing this in your "they didn't know what they voted for" and its helpmate "they are all a bunch of racists" [not your quotes].  We've never heard any election result challenged before on the basis of "they didn't know what they voted for", though it's now pretty universally accepted that this was very true in the case of Tony Blair.  Were you protesting that "Things... can only get better!" was a cruel deception back then?  Ironic that the keyboard player chanting this slogan was none other than that intellectual giant Prof. Brian Cox, the current recipient of large wodges of the TV tax in consideration for his profound observations on life, the universe, and everything!  :D

"perhaps you're happy with an outcome inspired by ignorance, so long as it goes your way? "

I've covered the ignorance bit above, and I'm happy that our fragile democracy still seems to be creaking on.  I'm unhappy that Dodgy Dave didn't fulfil his undertaking to give notice immediately the referendum result was announced, and did a runner.  I'm unhappy that Remainers and vested interest is still in charge.  It's the same democracy that got us into the EU by stealth, and denied us a vote on the matter (despite electoral promises by all establishment parties - including the braindead LD's!), but it's the best we have and needs to be respected until we can improve on it. The only alternative to not respecting it is another civil war.  One would have thought our "intellectual superiors" who are now busily trying to undermine this democracy would have got this latter point!

As I keep saying the pound is doing just fine.  If you study the graphs you will find that the referendum result has had no long term nett affect on it.  It's currently at the same level as its average since Gordon Brown trashed Sterling back in 2008.  I can however reliably predict that there's a Eurozone crisis on the horizon, as Germany is surely going into recession now under the weight of Merkel's legacy.  It will be interesting to see how the group-think EUphiles try to rationalise this. This isn't something we can or should celebrate as Dodgy Dave quietly signed us up to the Euro support mechanism, and so we won't come out entirely unscathed.

• Like 1

To be quite frank, I’m past caring. I’ve come to realise, through events that changed my life - and that of others in my circle of friends - at Christmas that it’s not the past doings of Dodgy Dave, or the current ones of Mrs May, or the events of Brexit, or the evils of Islam, or the fact that half the population can’t be arsed to find out what they are voting for, that shape the past, present or future; it’s what is there in front of you, on a personal level. If the stuff you get worked up about on here is what drives you, you need to rethink. You’ve still got a life; enjoy it. And you can’t reliably predict anything; none of us can.

Edited by Steve Turnbull

BTW - "As I keep saying the pound is doing just fine.  If you study the graphs you will find that the referendum result has had no long term nett affect on it."

If you study my income from the same clients over the past few years, which involves regularly changing $ into £, you'll find that it has. To my benefit.

• 2 weeks later...

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now