B.U.D.C workers - 1950's?

Maureen Quait - Bedlington remembered Facebook group has asked if anyone can help her identify anyone that is with her granda, John Maddigan,  in these two photos. She posted the photos along with another comment about her granda = '...........thinking today of my Grandad, John Maddigan (2nd from right) who always planted his potatoes on Good Friday. Was this a North Eastern tradition, or one that he inherited from his Irish family?'

Another comment Maureen made was :- 'The only one that I recognise is the man 2nd from the left, who I believe was called harry, and may have lodged with my friend's family, the Halls, in Haig Road. The photo would have been taken in the 1950's'

29662554 named.jpg

29683124 named.jpg

• 10 months later...

Only the admin can delete/move postings @Maggie/915 so it would have to be @Andy Millne that deleted your comment + this photo from the 'Bedlington Memoirs' topic in History Hollow.

Is this where you meant to post your photo ?

001.jpeg

Above photo from @Maggie/915 - no names with the photo.

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

John Fox (foxy)

• Senior Bedlingtonian
  •  
  • John Fox (foxy)
  • Moderators
  • 1,377 posts

Need a hint - tip or clue @Maggie/915- can't work out where that could have been taken or who these men might be :huh:

Could it be Netherton Lane?

Can't find that distinctive building, on the left as you look at the photo, with stone edging and what looks like stone pillars at the front entrance anywhere. Either the photographer had one leg shorter than the other or that house is on a slight incline. My first thought was the bottom of the Glebe Road but nothing like that exists down there. Google street viewed along Netherton Lane @John Fox (foxy) but can't find anything to match :(

The picture could be anywhere in the Shire.

I wondered about the  Cambois area or demolition on the Barrington Road.

In the background there looks to be a chapel or church.

Some houses behind seem to suggest the picture is taken on slightly higher ground.

I put the picture on the Forum because someone somewhere might know these two men. It seems a shame to keep it in an old case when it could have significance to someone. One of the men may have been nicknamed ‘Flinty’, the other name may be Mc Cullock. I have no idea of the spelling. So long ago it is a Bedlington Memory but not a memoir.

1 hour ago, Maggie/915 said:

I put the picture on the Forum because someone somewhere might know these two men. It seems a shame to keep it in an old case when it could have significance to someone. One of the men may have been nicknamed ‘Flinty’, the other name may be Mc Cullock. I have no idea of the spelling. So long ago it is a Bedlington Memory but not a memoir.

Cheers @Maggie/915 - I'll post it on the Bedlington & Cambois Facebook groups and see if anyome recognises anything in the photo.

After the Bygone bedlington Facebook group members had identified the twp blokes and the event I searched the Past Times Facebook group and Gordon Smith had posted a photo when the roundabout was in use - Wednesday 29th January - 1964 so the photo could be 1963 or 64 :- 

Guidepost.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Jimmy McCullough married my next door neighbour's Daughter in the mid-50's.His Grand-Daughter lives in Wales now,and if you haven't ever visited her U-tube channel..You might find it very interesting,especially if you ,like myself,are a Shadows fan,or any other guitar related music.Her name is Zoe McCullough,and her Girl-Band are called "The Cricketts"...obviously an influence from Buddy Holly's group.."The Crickets"...[in the mid/late 1950's/60's "Bands" were Brass..."Groups/Rock/Pop/Blues/Vocals.."..were Guitar orientated]

It's a pity Jimmy never lived to see how Zoe's music career took her to play with  a lot of the Great Guitarists,especially all over America and Europe.

I wouldn't be surprised,if Jimmy's Brother-in-Law, Billy,took these old photos,'cos when we were kids growing up in Hollymount Square,every event that ever happened in Bedlington,was captured by Billy,both on Kodak Brownie.[in the 1950's]...right through to the Digital age..and also 8mm Cine film,through to digital videocams...including my Wedding in 1967..which I never saw and would dearly love to have seen!

It was a mighty grand design for a roundabout,in a place where we still had Horse-drawn vehicles ,and the new car was the Ford Anglia/Popular series,[looks like!.]...and the new Truck-of-the-day..was the Thames Trader!

I rode my push-bike up that road from Hollymount Sq,to Choppington High Pit,up Guide-post Road,every day from 1959 to 1965,[having rode these roads from 1956,at 12 years old,on a leisurely basis],and even to this day,you wouldn't class it as having a severe congestion problem!!

2 hours ago, HIGH PIT WILMA said:

.and also 8mm Cine film,through to digital videocams...including my Wedding in 1967..which I never saw and would dearly love to have seen!

Sorry a little bit off topic HPW but you mention having your wedding on 8mm but never seeing it, my dad bought a Cine camera just for my wedding it was 9.5mm, the Co-op put a film in it for him then developed it, we never had any means to view it, recently I sent it away to be converted to MPEG, it came back on a USB and CD, it's not the best quality but great seeing our wedding, 57 years later, only problem is its reversed! my carnation (and Doreen) are on the wrong side, I first noticed as my BMW (Isetta bubble car!) the numbers are backwards. The company are busy redoing it.

Charles's 1931 Morris is also on it.

We went on to get standard 8 and super 8 cine cameras, and I have made my own conversion to VHS then DVD, the kids all have copies.

• Like 3

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now