So the German ones are fatter?

threegee

TELEMMGLPICT000157306183_trans_NvBQzQNjv

... The car, with Union flag branding on its roof, was discovered in the Castle Walk area of Carlisle Park, in Morpeth, on Monday night. ...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/03/13/northumberland-job-man-tried-steal-mini-cooper-ends-needing/

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

and they still call it a mini?? these later abominations have the same wheelbase as a 90 series Landover-- and that's mini??? it all went downhill when they stopped having a bit of string to open the doors and sliding windows that seemed to be factory fitted with green mould -- British engineering at its best (oops it was styled by Alex Issigonis --ahem Italian -- and was ground breaking in its time (seem to think it was the first transverse engine front wheel drive in mass production) - Armstrong and all the other great Tyneside engineer/industrialists would be rotating in their graves at a faster rate of knots than the  than the Turbinia seeing what is regarded as the best Britain has to offer now lol (not forgetting the 4x4 version with the ground clearance of a snail)

oh and many yrs ago a car got stuck in the underpass tunnel from whitley bay to the sands as the tunnel had a kink in it -- ii think that was a 68hp Hillman imp (er and it was a police car)

as an aside to the above -- ii think the 'Darwin Awards' are due soon and I do so like them!!!

Edited by pilgrim

21 hours ago, pilgrim said:

and they still call it a mini?? ... oops it was styled by Alex Issigonis --ahem Italian...

Not one to be pedantic (well, I am) they actually call it a MINI, all letters capitalised, and it is a brand rather than a model. Has absolutely nothing to do with the quite amazing original, of which I have owned no fewer than seven, and wish I had one now! For the record, Issigonis was in fact of Greek origin.

my apologies mercury, I assumed he was Italian as it stuck In my mind that he was associated with pinnafarina.

as an aside = having spent many yrs in Italy and knew the Agnelli family who owned fiat and a large lump of Ferrari .I was often at the marinello rosso collection  and was invited to a pre release press day (free drink included) for the Fiat tipo. I had to reach for another bottle when I saw in wonderful tacky chrome letters on the back of the pre production mock up of the turbo diesel model -the following;

Fiat   Tipo    TurD

I really should have said nothing............................

• Like 1

lol steve t 

don't know if you saw the very short-lived story in one of the red banner tabloids a few months back that tried to run a story 'outing' one of the family. what a non-story that died as it should have. everyone knew and it wasn't news. I still have a pullover he designed and made for me many yrs ago (he and a friend had a fashion business). it has never been 'worn' in the true sense as I was told it was only meant to be draped over the shoulders with the arms crossed over the neck!!!

I loved the story I was told about Gianni Agnelli, if he was the head guy, having a favourite car from all of those in the FIAT/Ferrari stable. It was the original FIAT Panda...

Italian fashion - yes, that sounds about right!

I had a cinquecento in the 70's and it was wonderfully eccentric like a roller skate and with an engine but would still run on one cylinder and a cable starter that pulled two brass terminals together. Indeed I bought the child a panda for her 17th last yr - wonderful all round visibility, 40 mpg, safe as it is very slow lol (but surprisingly fast when it gets going) and only £30 a yr road tax and with 4 doors!!

oh and typical Italian style -- in the rosso collection there is a free bar - in the middle of the room was a table for folk to stand around and chat and have somewhere to rest their glasses and ashtrays. it has distinctive Ferrari style as all they did was park an F40 and put a table top on the roof!!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now