Bedlington Royal Oaks FC

Anyone ever heard of and know anything about this team.

As Royal Oaks is a fairly common name for a pub I checked both Evan Martin's list of Hotels, Inns, Taverns & Beerhouses in 1886 and the Bennett's Business Directory, of 1905, and no establishment using the name Royal Oak in the lists.

28277186_1645762565492745_4005266608095065513_n.jpg

Info found in the Morpeth Herald by two Facebook Bedlington Remembered members :- 

Margaret Williamson :-
Found this from the Morpeth Herald 1909 - 
... BEDLINGTON ROYAL OAK A.F.C. The above club held a supper and social at their headquarters, Red Lion Inn, on Saturday night last. The chair was taken by Mr. Robert Thompson. A good repast was ably served by the host, Mr. J. Turnbull), after which the evening ...

Ovalteeny :-  

As part of my research into football in Bedlington I have quickly looked at The Morpeth Herald for 11th. April 1908 and found a league table for The Wansbeck League, see image that shows Bedlington Royal Oak having an narrow lead, but with still 5 games to play. I'll have a further look tomorrow to see what the final table was and also read up some of the copy to see if I can find out more about the team/club.

28279591_10215637521877270_841037262917998261_n.jpg

See photo of an article from The Morpeth Herald of 20th. June 1908. The opening statement of the 1908 AGM of the Wansbeck League states that the meeting was held at Bedlington Royal Oak (The Blue Bell).

MH 20041908 Royal Oak - Blue Bell.png

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hi I am also interested for the following year. I ave been told there is a possibility one of the team is my great grandfather....bit of a scandalous affair with my Great Nan hence only a possibility...Mr Waldock is that possible...is that right, was he on the team? Middleton is in both 

20210810_215516.jpg

12 hours ago, BilpaBroMai said:

Hi I am also interested for the following year. I ave been told there is a possibility one of the team is my great grandfather....bit of a scandalous affair with my Great Nan hence only a possibility...Mr Waldock is that possible...is that right, was he on the team? Middleton is in both 

@BilpaBroMai - I don't have any other info on the Royal Oaks FC and I doubt if any of the newspaper articles @Ovalteeny looked at mentioned Mr Waldock having a bit of a scandalous affair.😱

Waldock, in my mind, is not a common name.  However one of the Admin team on the Facebook group -  Old Photo's of Holywell & Seaton Delaval & Seghill & Hartley,Sluice,W/bay. - is John Waldock and I know John has been involved with football, playing, coaching and researching his family football history. I am a member of that group and I will posty your picture for John to see and give any info that he may have.

2 hours ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

@BilpaBroMai - I don't have any other info on the Royal Oaks FC and I doubt if any of the newspaper articles @Ovalteeny looked at mentioned Mr Waldock having a bit of a scandalous affair.😱

Waldock, in my mind, is not a common name.  However one of the Admin team on the Facebook group -  Old Photo's of Holywell & Seaton Delaval & Seghill & Hartley,Sluice,W/bay. - is John Waldock and I know John has been involved with football, playing, coaching and researching his family football history. I am a member of that group and I will posty your picture for John to see and give any info that he may have.

Thank you for this, I am not even sure if that is a true event in the life of J Waldock just information passed down...if true it was many years later as my nan was born in 1926

Jack - I will ask him, via the Facebook group🙂

Jack - I will ask him, via the Facebook group🙂

Yes Cliff Waldock is my Uncle he played for Bedlington Mechanics - Ashington - Crook Town - Seaton Sluice and he is still going strong and attended the Gym until this Covid Pandemic came to our Door Step Uncle Cliff is  in his late 80's and lives in Gosforth,..a photo in the Group says Cliff Waldock he has an over coat on it's not him as he is 6'3'' unless all the back line are 6'6'' or more :) 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BilpaBroMai said:

Thank you for that and I realised I have already got a profile on here under my name if he would like to get in touch via FB can you pass him my name which is Paul Billanie

@BilpaBroMai - I see @John Doc Waldockhas joined this group:)

3 hours ago, Ovalteeny said:

Could John Waldock be related to Cliff Waldock who played for Bedlington Mechanics FC in the early 1960's?

Jack - @John Doc Waldock has joined the group. I showed John the photo and asked him (Facebook Messenger) about Cliff Waldock and he replied :- 

Project3.png

On 11/08/2021 at 14:31, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

Jack - @John Doc Waldock has joined the group. I showed John the photo and asked him (Facebook Messenger) about Cliff Waldock and he replied :- 

Project3.png

Thanks for the enquiries they are ongoing and I have been in contact with John directly on messenger now as well, I thought it easier. Still unsure if there is a connection as yet but I for one keep looking and he I believe is going to ask his side as well. 

I mentioned in my other profile, a post called Shame and Scandal in The Family that what I was told is my G Nan Muriel Walker was married to someone else and I recall being told the name Nesbitt or Naisbet as her married name and have seen that name on this site as well. I was told by nan how she remembered aunts and uncles walking by and ignoring them as if they didn't exist because of the situation. 

There is a link with Hirst Villas or Terrace I believe as this on her birth certificate is where she was born. Muriel my G Nan is pictured here as a young lady and when older as well to see if this jogs any memories, if needs be I can put them up separately as well. 

16289551320201114469530382724600.jpg

16289551742575186347985394787145.jpg

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now