Whitley Memorial - Intermediate Football Teams - 1950's

Two team photos of the squads for 1954-55 & 1956-57 posted on Facebook and we are attempting to name the squad members. HPW's first thoughts were that these squads cover two, or three, age groups.

I will attempt to upload both photos and have the relevant Facebook comments associated with each photo :- 

1956-57 named.jpg

Carl Wilkinson 11. My Fatha. Allan Wilkinson - 5. Tommy logan
Paul Wilkinson 11 is Allan Wilkinson
Allan Kidd 1 looks like Raymond Mack.

ManageWendy Ready Number 10  - my dad, Joe Hale  -   No 4 Davy Kane

Lillian Wilkinson After Ray Mac it is Scantiberry (John ?),?,?, Davy Kane,Tom Logan. ..?Mr Davison, - Joe Hale next to Allan W, ?Bob Cross.

1954-55 named.jpg

Carl Wilkinson 10. Allan wilkinson - 14. Jimmy Bradley ?  2. Albat Glenton
Lillian Wilkinson No 1 Brian Palmer  - no 3 Brian Hale,  No 4?,?,  6 Geoff Oliver, -  No7 Bob Johnson, no11 Ian Nesbit, no 14 Mickey Bradley.
Alan Maguire no14 michael bradley
Wendy Ready  No 7 Deffo Johnstone ! Friend of the family x
Edited by Eggy1948

1954-55 squad photo - update from Pauline Weatheritt (Facebook Bedlington Remembered) who showed the photo to

No 2 Albert Glenton and he says :-  No 8 Dickie Jameson - No 12  Alan Cowell - No 13 Paddy Gore

1954-55 named.jpg

Hi Eggy! Great  to get additions from the horses mooth..and Albert is spot on!!..I didn't know Albert is still kicking aboot!!

He and my older Brother were great friends,along with Lol Thompson and Alan "Cowla" Cowell. Most of these lads named were in my Brother's class all the way through school at the Whitley.

Three years older than me,and the only one on here who sat next to me in the same desk for years is Alan Wilkinson!!

He WAS  a really gud player,as all these team pics prove....his older Brother Derek was his Mentor ...another team member.

Alan Cowell was on Composite work down the Three-Quarter Drift,where my Bates pit pics were taken,and was one of my cross-marra's...a smashing natured lad..really likeable.[R.I.P. Alan Cowell.]

Aye,this team was made up from about three age groups,which leads me onto the subject of how Pete Smith was on the Whitley team when he went to Netherton School!

I am beginning to doubt my own "so-sure" memory about this one!!

Did Netherton School close around the same time as this team was being formed,with Peter being sent to the Whitley,and qualifying for the team within a few weeks of starting at the Whitley?

Or are my vivid memories of my next door neighbour and close friend  parting company with me to go for Raisbeck's bus,[to Netherton],as I walked down Vulcan Place to the Whitley... just my imagination playing tricks in old age?!!!!!

I'll have to ask my Sister-in-law ,who is Pete's older Sister,and who is married to my older Brother,and SHE will clear my muddled mind!!

If I am all muddled really....I will be the first to come on here and tell the crew I was wrong !! Heh heh!

To re-cap , in 1954, Alan Wilkinson [and Me!] were 10 years old!!

Lol Thompson,Albert Glenton,Alan Cowell,Paddy Gore,Brian Palmer,..were all  13 years old!!

At that age,that was a canny difference in size and strength,to be matched against opponents of similar statures!!

Alan Wilkinson wasn't a very big lad,but by hell,he wasn't half fast with the ball..!!

Eggy,seeing as aam not on facebook,could you please pass a comment from me to Alan,or his family,for them to pass onmy best regards to Alan,and would love to hook up with him to natter aboot old times doon the woods,and daeing daft things as laddies did in them days!!

Cheers!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HIGH PIT WILMA said:

Eggy,seeing as aam not on facebook,could you please pass a comment from me to Alan,or his family,for them to pass onmy best regards to Alan,and would love to hook up with him to natter aboot old times doon the woods,and daeing daft things as laddies did in them days!!

Cheers!

With pleasure - and naturally any football team updates, or messages from old friends, will be past on....... I think:) 

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now